Search Unity

Suggestion: "Update to latest patch"

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by LazloBonin, Aug 19, 2019.

1. LazloBonin

LazloBonin

I'm an asset store developer and I often need to test my plugins against Unity version compatibility.

I normally only test against the latest minor (Tech or LTS) release. So for example, I have the following installed:
    Every week or so, I update each of those to their latest patch release, and uninstall the previous ones.

This makes sense because the latest patch releases are guaranteed to be the "most stable" of a given minor release and in theory should never bring any backwards-incompatible change.

My suggestion would be a button to automate that for all installed versions.

For example, clicking that button would:
    • Update patch and hotfix versions (e.g. 2019.2.0f1 => 2019.2.1f1)
    • Update alpha/beta to newer if available (e.g. 2019.1.0a1 => 2019.1.0b3)
    • Update alpha/beta to stable if available (e.g.: 2019.2.0b1 => 2019.2.1f1)
    • Never upgrade a minor version (e.g. never 2019.1.x to 2019.3.x)
    • Uninstall previous versions
    Basically, a "update my installs up to their latest fixes" button.

Not sure if that makes sense in the overall UX design of the Hub, but it would definitely come in handy for me!

2. safaGH

safaGH

Unity Technologies

Hello @Ludiq,

Thank you for your suggestion... I will hand this request to the hub team to discuss it. But in case you are wondering about the latest patch for each latest minor version. You can find them in the installs tab: (for officials and betas)

upload_2019-8-20_14-51-51.png

3. LazloBonin

LazloBonin

Thanks! Oh I know how to get them, it's just a suggestion to automate the process.
    Now basically I queue installing the latest patch for each minor + uninstalling every previous version. Thankfully the queue makes it painless and I can focus on other things, but even more automation would be great.

safaGH likes this.
  4. Thaina

Thaina

@Ludiq It's not safe to rely on patch version because unity patch was breaking some other things fequently

5. LazloBonin

LazloBonin

Oh sorry yea I misnamed it, I was talking about the Semantic Versioning "patch" where versions are MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH.

So like: 2017.4.20 is:
    • MAJOR: 2017
    • MINOR: 4
    • PATCH: 20
    But I'm not sure what the Unity terminology for those numbers are.

6. safaGH

safaGH

Unity Technologies

@Ludiq , for Unity 2019.x.yaz means 2019.x is major, y is minor and z is a patch... but in my answer, I explained it the way you see semantic versioning.

LazloBonin likes this.
  7. Thaina

Thaina

Yes I know and that was my intentional. Even the patch version could break some other things unintentionally. And for unity it was happen often times