Search Unity

Suggestion : Unity Hub

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Rob-Meade, May 8, 2018.

1. Rob-Meade

Rob-Meade

Just installed version 0.16.0, please forgive if this has already been mentioned but just wanted to suggest;

* "Locate a version" - would be really nice if I could just point to a specific top level directory and the Hub did the rest. As an example, I have 11 version of Unity installed on this path E:\Unity Versions\ wouldn't it be awesome to just set that path and then not have to select the individual editors! I think this should really just be a "scan" kind of operation, or at least option.

* if the above isn't doable, how about remembering the last selected path, that way, I could at least navigate to the editors a little more easily, rather than being returned to /program files/ each time?

* when adding a version that has already been added an error notification appears, this requires manual intervention, if another version is successfully added it might be nice to auto-close this notification.

* "preferred" - this may make more sense to be added to either a) the most recent of all the versions added, or b) the last version that the user located

* install location from "official releases" - I didn't get to choose where this was going to be installed, thus once it had been installed I had to cut/paste the directory, just like the "old days" - which Hub is supposed to help resolve right? :)

Hope this is of some use to the powers that be :)

2. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi,

Thank you for the feedback! You raise very interesting points. Let me respond in the same order:

* We are working on a scan feature to make mass locating of Unity editors more streamlined and reliable. Stay tuned.

* We'll take care of the point above and that should settle it.

* We know. We're sorry. This will be addressed soon.

* The point of the "preferred" version is to choose a version you're most likely to use for opening/creating projects. It's difficult to identify a typical scenario here because not everyone uses different versions of Unity the same way. We'll take your suggestion into consideration and you might see an option to have this behaviour in the future versions.

* You can actually set a custom location for installs. Simply set it by clicking the settings button (top-right cog wheel icon). Please don't move the Unity versions manually once they've installed.

If you have further questions please don't hesitate. Thanks again for the suggestions!

Cheers,

starikcetin likes this.
  3. Rob-Meade

Rob-Meade

Hi Abraham,

Thank you for taking the time to reply, and please accept my apologies in not coming back to you before, I don't recall receiving any email notifications regarding your reply and I don't frequent the forums as often as, clearly, I should.

Obviously, there have been some updates since my original post, thanks and well done.

One thing I did notice the other day was that when uninstalling versions of Unity, which had been installed using Unity Hub, it was leaving behind the folder/shortcut links in the Programs Group (Windows), nothing major, but did mean as I scanned down I had one of those, "I thought I uninstalled that" moments.

4. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi Rob,

No worries about the response. I thought you just wanted to leave your feedback -which is also fine.

As for the partial uninstall we are working on it. You can expect it to be fixed in the coming releases.

Thanks again for your feedback!

Rob-Meade likes this.
  5. Rob-Meade

Rob-Meade

Awesome - many thanks and to all of those involved in the Hub project :)

AbrahamDUnity likes this.
  6. kiichii

kiichii

Hi,

Hope we can make collapsible folders in Unity Hub, in that way we can separate projects to folders that are for work, for practice, etc. etc..

I find it unorganized that my practice projects, go side to side with projects I'm currently building for release.

Thanks.

kbkmn likes this.
  7. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the suggestion @kiichii we'll consider it.

Cheers,

kbkmn and kiichii like this.
  8. Gann4Life

Gann4Life

I was looking into forums to suggest the same thing here, i have a lot of non-serious projects, game jam projects, a few more serious projects and some others to experiment with code, so, having a way to organize them with folders could help a lot, as well as saving time for some

9. bixarrio

bixarrio

Same here! I was thinking of 'workspaces' that could be loaded, but some type of collapsible folder structure will do, too