Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Suggestion: post Blog posts when there is actually something to try.

Discussion in 'Unity Accelerator' started by fherbst, Sep 12, 2019.

1. fherbst

fherbst

After trying to install the Asset Pipeline Importer accelerator, I was greeted by this:

upload_2019-9-12_11-18-17.png

Pressing "Next" states "you need to select at least one version". Only then did I understand that Version 2 is not on by default, but that the checkbox is actually missing.

After carefully re-reading the blog post, yes, it's stated there: "support for the Asset Pipeline Import process will be available in an upcoming 2019.3 beta release".

Why couldn't the blog post wait until that beta release?! (I have 2019.3.0b3 installed, the latest publicly available beta) This is so confusing.

Kichang-Kim likes this.
  2. bradunity

bradunity

You are correct, @fherbst. We debated whether to hold the announcement or try to communicate that it's ready for use by Unity Teams folks. It will be available for general use for the V2 Asset Import Pipeline very soon in this beta cycle and we wanted to allow Unity Teams to leverage it right away, so we opted for this approach. Apparently we did not do a good job in our communication on this front and I apologize for that. The wait should not be long for getting access to the Editors that will be able to use the Accelerator to cache those V2 assets.

fherbst likes this.
  3. fherbst

fherbst

Understood.

(As a note - myself and a lot of people I'm talking to get more and more the feeling that these blog posts are not actually targeted at Unity users anymore, they are targeted at stakeholders... otherwise, some basic technical details (this is for v2 Asset Pipeline, this is a rewrite of Cache Server, ...) would be included. Right now it feels like mostly marketing speech explaining why and how one of the Cloud services is now getting even more awesome. But that's a general thing, not specific to this one blog post or communication issue.)

4. StaceyH

StaceyH

Administrator

Thanks for this feedback - our audience for this post was Unity users and not stakeholders. A lot of teams aren't familiar with the original cache server, so the post was originally written with them in mind. In hindsight, we should have also included detail for those who were familiar with it. This is a good lesson to learn for the future. :)

To help moving forward, we're working on an FAQ which will be posted on the welcome thread to provide clarification.

fherbst and bradunity like this.
  5. bradunity

bradunity