Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestion: Nickel and Dime Assets

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Not_Sure, Dec 2, 2021.

1. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

One thing that drives me sort of nuts about unity is that every basic asset is in huge packages.

Right now I got that 10k+ sound effects package, so I guess I'm installing all 10k+ sounds into a test project for the next several hours. Once its all unpacked, I'm not sure what I'm doing with them all.

Textures, fonts, sounds, particle emitters, shaders, post-processing effects, and basic models all have this issue.

So why doesn't unity do a "Nickel and Dime" mini asset store?

Like a store that is extremely simplified to where you pre-load your account with funds, and then you can pull assets from them rapidly on the fly for a penny here or a nickel there.

They load up in a small window do you can see what they look like, and if you want it just buy it and have it instantly go into the project.

No read-me files. No folders. No installers. No worrying about a huge single purchase. Nothing too complex at all.

Just "Hey, I need a hand painted vase!"

Type "Hand painted vase"

Boom! A list of hand painted vases.

Grab one.

Installs almost immediately because it's so small.

Put it where you want in your project.

I would buy SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many assets if this was an option.

Anyone else?

2. spiney199

spiney199

Are there not other sites where you can procure assets in a more granular fashion?

3. neginfinity

neginfinity

IIRC if you procure granular assets elsewhere, they won't be configured for unity. So you'd get your vase, then you'd need to assign textures to it by hand.

I don't recall if someone came up with universal format for PBR materials or anything like that.

4. Because no one really wants that so Unity doesn't get the pressure to solve the elephant problem coming with the "nickel and dime" assets... the extra expenses. The smaller the average transaction is the higher the transactional, the storage and the bandwidth expenses are.

5. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Well I want it, so that's one person.

And maybe some others would too.

You really wouldn't want to have a huge library of basic simple assets that loads up extremely fast and you can grab almost effortlessly?

You NEVER have a moment where you want a sound effect for something simple like pressing a button and you'd rather just grab one quick rather than purchase and download a package then find one in the many many files? Or have to go to a 3rd party platform and deal with that mess?

Like really?

You REALLY can't see how this isn't something a lot of people would love???

6. Antypodish

Antypodish

@Not_Sure so what is actual the problem?
    You got bunch of assets.
    Select the one you need. (You may need some time)
    Pack them.
    And import to your actual project.

This is no less job, than searching websites for assets you maybe need.

7. Obviously I was exaggerating.
    Sure I do.
    screenshot.png

I do not download those giant packages twice, I'm not completely crazy. :D
    This is my external disk attached to my PC through USB and it is exactly the solution I found the best for this very purpose. Faster than a roundtrip to any asset store but doesn't affect my day-to-day work.

Not_Sure likes this.