Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestion ignored

Discussion in 'Unity Ads & User Acquisition' started by mike950, Jan 23, 2015.

1. mike950

mike950

I made a suggestion that unity should have a version of unity pro for free but it had built in unity ads and the ad money would go to unity.
    I read a game made a million dollars in ads. Sometimes my ideas sound good at first :)

2. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

Ads only make a decent amount of money if there are MANY viewers. There are far more gamers than developers.

There are currently 3.3 million registered Unity developers (I would guess that includes those who spent a few days with Unity and quit). There are over 5 million downloads of Crossy Road (the game you are referencing) just on Google Play.

3. mike950

mike950

Thanks I now understand why my suggestion was ignored

4. goat

goat

It might be where they eventually go so I wouldn't fret too much over it.

You know Unity bought the Ads division because they understood themselves that the game market is oversaturated and that makes indies spending $4500 + a number of upgrades + asset store packages is a rather poor business model for future growth.

Truth be told, for all but a few special cases extra features of Unity Pro and mobile devices are a poor fit. In 4 years time it will be another story but by then Unity Pro will need to have a new set of Pro features.

5. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

To add to @DanielQuick 's stats, I think it says somewhere on unity3d site that there's only about 650k active users, out of those 3.3M. And out of those 650k active ones, how many would actually use pro with ads? And how many would even click on those ads. I know I wouldn't, unless the ads were work oriented, like recommending me some new software, or something, which I can't buy anyway since I'm apparently using unity pro for free with ads and not Unity Pro. So that's not really much to warrant unity pro for free with ads. Unfortunately. :)

6. goat

goat

Well the thing about the original suggestion above is making Unity Pro free but Unity gets all the ad revenue which forced inclusion of ads by Unity Ads is it ruins one of the major 'free to play' income streams from which major game makers depend on for profit, not just pauper indies.

That's not to say that they won't ever try such a suggestion but it's hard to see it working without the ability to pay for an ad-less Unity Pro. Even so, most Unity Free users would stick with Unity Free and keep the possibility, small though it is, they might make an income from ads and Unity Free.

7. mike950

mike950

Haha not ads in unity pro ads in the games made with unity pro.
    Also goat you can use other ad companies as well.

8. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Oh my bad. :)

9. mike950

mike950

No prob :)
    I would do it myself if I could. Like buy 1000's of copies of Unity pro and give them out on condition that they include my Unity ads codes. But that would be costly for me. Unity could give Unity Pro for essentially no cost. Unless you factor in the cost of potentially giving it to someone that would have bought it but then again maybe that person would also make a game where the ads brought in a million dollars. In which case Unity just made a million dollars on one copy of Unity Pro!! :)