Search Unity

Suggestion for improved error message - animator is not playing an animatorcontroller

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by BongoGaming, Apr 8, 2017.

1. BongoGaming

BongoGaming

See also my question and answer here ...http://answers.unity3d.com/question...ing-an-animatorcontroller.html#answer-1337388

The error message "animator is not playing an animatorcontroller" could be improved by naming the component that is having the error.
    The problem I experienced was where a script was accidenally attached to two components by me.
    I only expected to script to be attached to a single component so when I saw the error I spent hours looking at the component that I intended the script to be attached to finding nothing wrong with it.
    The next day I by chance noticed that some other component also had my script attached to it - this component was not animated and I believe that it was this latter component that the error message was reporting about.

This confusion could have been saved if the error message mentioned the name of the component that did not have an animatorcontroller. I would have seen instantly that the warning related to component that should not have had that link.

This naming strategy possibly applies to a lot of other error messages.

Thanks John