Search Unity

Suggestion: Entity Property as "Hyperlink" in Entity Debugger

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by Kmsxkuse, May 3, 2020.

1. Kmsxkuse

Kmsxkuse

In my project, I've got tens of thousands of entities that occasionally contain references to other entities as property values either in a component or a dynamic buffer element.

Viewing this in the entity debugger isn't very helpful. Sure, the ID of the entity is visible and I can manually scroll, or at least find it, in the the long list of all entities in the system or use the filter by components on the right but it would be nice that instead of a [ID, Version] block of info, it could be a link to that entity itself in the debugger.

Clicking the entity property would open up that entity itself or do nothing if it no longer exists. Maybe even show that the entity it once linked to was destroyed like a game object that no longer exists in the inspector.

Also, did you know entities have names? I didn't. I just used to seeing Entity 129746 and checking the components attached to see what it is. I'm not going to use it but it is nice to know it exists.

EDIT: The click to see other entity works if the entity property is a component data but not if the entity property is filed under dynamic buffers.

Would be nice if this functionality was ported over to dynamic buffers.

Last edited: May 3, 2020