Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

[Suggestion] Dropbox Detection

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by GainfulSage, Apr 15, 2016.

1. GainfulSage

GainfulSage

So, I started off pointing at a project I had thrown in Dropbox. Long story short, ran into some weird sync issues (cache, duh).

My suggestion is to either a) mention in docs not to store Collaborate projects in Dropbox or b) add something that can detect a project is stored in Dropbox and warn the user.

I guess a vs b boils down to which is easier from a support perspective vs cost. :)

2. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

Hi @Slaye!
    You bring up a very interesting option! Believe it or not, Unity as a whole doesn't officially support Dropbox as a read/write to folder (due to cache issues and when it updates, etc).

Unofficially
    It maybe an option for Collaborate if you have Dropbox autosync turned off and only sync manually [to Dropbox]. Collaborate takes a "snapshot" of your project too often (which is a good thing) to support the autosync as its set up now.

I wouldn't rule it out for a future collaboration with Dropbox (see what I did there ;P), but I don't want to give you false pretenses either.

I'm excited you are trying it out! See you around the forums!

3. GainfulSage

GainfulSage

I normally use Git/GitHub for my day to day dev work, but even with LFS support it's kind of clunky. I am really, really excited about Collaborate as a point-and-shoot system, especially for working with my 3d artist. Throwing a project up even as a placeholder for exploration kinda... sorta... works with Dropbox, but I've found that associations in the editor seem to disappear (which I have chalked up to cache issues). Even Git + Dropbox (at least in the past) wouldn't play together well.

I've pondered some nasty bit of symlinks, etc to try to do things like, say, put my C# code under Git and my art assets in Dropbox. But then Collaborate was announced and now I can get back to just working on my game. ;)

lmk if you have any Qs about usage, etc. I've encountered a few bugs so far but they seem to be getting fixed on the server really fast right now. On a scale of 1 to 10 how aggressive would you like us to be about reporting bugs? 1 = big showstoppers only, 10 = omg it broke but restart fixed it?

Thanks!

quixotic likes this.
  4. quixotic

quixotic

Administrator

10, pretty please, user submitted bugs are really helpful! And through Help->Report a Bug, and send bug numbers our way. It's also really useful to hear how you would rate any particular bug (1 = showstopper, 10 = I noticed this but I don't actually care). Thank you for being a beta tester!

localhost likes this.