Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

C# Compiler Suggestion: Don't Reload Domains when IL is Unchanged

Discussion in 'Experimental Scripting Previews' started by JohnAustinPontoco, Apr 6, 2020.

1. JohnAustinPontoco

JohnAustinPontoco

Very often while waiting for the domain to reload, I'll notice a stray comment, fix formatting, or generally cleanup the code I just wrote. Naturally, this triggers another domain reload, which is frustrating. I have to be very careful not to touch C# files too often.

However, in many cases the generated IL hasn't changed, and we shouldn't need to perform a domain reload in these cases. I would guess that caching the IL and performing this check would cut out about 20% of the domain reloads I wait through in normal development.

The downside is that you would no longer be able to force a domain reload by changing whitespace in a file (for debugging). Realistically, though, it's more sensible to address this need with some sort of dedicated 'reload domains' button in the menus.

2. JesseSTG

JesseSTG

Seconded.

3. JoNax97

JoNax97

Thirded.