Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestion: Deformation Layers

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Flavelius, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Flavelius

Flavelius

Hi,
    Addons like EasyRoads, RAM, Mapmagic, Gaia and similar are all modifying terrain data. While some of them alter the basic structure of the terrain some just put small adjustments on top.
    But this requires all authors to either warn users that this has destructive effects or implement hackish backup functionality because other/manual alterations could potentially be destroyed along the way.
    Akin to the new TerrainLayers for texture i can imagine having Deformation Layers for height data.
    This would allow addons to work nondestructively and also have a clear position or purpose in the layer stack. For example addons like Gaia and the like would work on the base layer that defines the overall shape while addons like EasyRoads work on an upper layer thus not interfere with each other. This may also open up options for layer specific queries, blend operations, modular, predefined terrain variations etc.
    @ Unity Terrain Team, If that sounds doable, please consider adding it, it would be a win for everyone.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    wyattt_ likes this.
  2. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

Heya! This is part of the design for our new Environment system!

Kirsche, joshcamas and Flavelius like this.
  3. Flavelius

Flavelius

Awesome! Do you have an estimate for when this could be available to users?

4. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

No time estimate at the moment

5. TheGabelle

TheGabelle

Are you able to share any additional information about this? 'Environment' system is pretty vague and I'm curious as to what it may encompass.

6. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

It is a layer-based, non-destructive system for creating "environments" as a general concept. This includes terrain, decorations ( grass, foliage, trees ), paths, simulations, and more.

Gokcan and Flavelius like this.
  7. TheGabelle

TheGabelle

@
    I didn't want to get my hopes up, but that's exactly what I was hoping for. Great to hear!

8. Flavelius

Flavelius

Looks like *competitor Engine4* (4.24) just received those features and they look well designed, something for unity to take inspiration from.

9. backwheelbates

backwheelbates

@wyattt_ this sounds really interesting! Has there been any progress on this?
    Thanks!!