Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestion: Change Scene Lighting Settings in Inspector?

Discussion in '2020.1 Beta' started by ModLunar, Dec 9, 2019.

1. ModLunar

ModLunar

I recently updated from Unity 2020.1.0a13 to Unity 2020.1.0a15, and there are now "Lighting Settings" assets that get created for each of my scenes. This is awesome, cause we can now share Lighting Settings between scenes easier, so bravo for that!

However, I was wondering if it'd be possible to put a field for it in the Inspector (which is currently blank, when you select a Scene) as shown here:

upload_2019-12-9_18-30-19.png

It'd be super helpful, since we wouldn't have to open the scene to change the Lighting Settings, and we'd (theoretically) be able to easily set multiple scenes' Lighting Settings at the same time.

I forget if there's a better place to write suggestions/feedback to Unity, so if there is, let me know and I can move this post there (or keep it here too!). But anyway, I'd be super happy, since workflow improvements can be monumental :D thanks!

Peter77 and Xarbrough like this.
  2. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

This sounds good. I didn’t know about the lighting settings change, but I’m a fan if it means more separation of concerns regarding files on disk in regards to version control systems. I also feel like scene assets are storing too much unrelated data, so splitting it makes sense to me. Editing via inspector on the associated scene file could make sense as well, if it will be the only related asset for the near future.

ModLunar likes this.
  3. ModLunar

ModLunar

Absolutely, well said! :)