Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Resolved Suggested workflow - few people working on story/quests/skills

Discussion in 'Localization Tools' started by Piotr_Wicher, Oct 25, 2021.

1. Piotr_Wicher

Piotr_Wicher

Hi,

I'm implementing Unity Localizations to our project and I'm struggling with implementing workflow for our team.
    In our project it is on daily basis that multiple people are working on localizations and push their changes to GIT. Our current workflow was designed on CSV files, there were "true" csv files on git, and local "sync loc" button that applied diff from local changes to GIT CSV file and then user had to upload the CSV file to GIT, but ofcourse this approach had flaws, like trying to push csv files to git at the same time by 2 users.

So my question is, is there any official recomenned approach for this type of workflow suggested to use by Unity?

2. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

We don't have any official recommended approach for this type of workflow at the moment.
    It should be safe for multiple people to work on the same tables, we have some systems in place to ensure that this is supported such as the way we generate our keys:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c.../TableEntryKeys.html#distributed-id-generator

You may still get git conflicts however It should be possible to use the Smart merge to resolve these conflicts. Unfortunately the Smart merge tool does not resolve .asset conflicts by default however you can pass the --force option to make it run on them.

You can also continue to use CSV and use the CSV extension to sync but will likely have the same issues. We also have Google Sheets support so one way would be to make the changes in a Google Sheet and only ever pull from the Sheet to update your local copies. This would likely be the safest approach for you with the least amount of conflicts.

3. Piotr_Wicher

Piotr_Wicher

Looks like the smart merge with configured mergerules, will work for us. I had successfully merged loc asset that had changes on git from another user so it looks promising.

Thank you for this hint.

karl_jones likes this.