Search Unity

Suggested Network System for Real Time

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by zzkontaz, May 25, 2020.

1. zzkontaz

zzkontaz

Hello everyone, I am 4+ years Unity user. Built four games for now. But I never used networking systems.
    My new game is TPS Medieval Fantasy game that players shoots arrows and swing swords, and use magic spells etc. I want to use dedicated server system to get players, 12 vs 12 in a game room.

I except the maximum players of this game is about 20k-50k total

Which realtime multiplayer system should I use for:
    - Unity performance
    -Fluent Multiplayer Action
    -Keeping data for player level system, in game currency
    -Server security
    or other things?

2. Vincenzo

Vincenzo

Networking is not easy and an specific field, if you have the finances, get a dedicated network game programmer, porting an existing single player game to multiplayer is next-to impossible.

In terms of what library to use, check out The products that Exit Games offer; https://www.photonengine.com/

3. g_a_p

g_a_p

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

The first question I'd be asking is whether you need Unity features server side, for example the physics system. If you do, and you want to use a system where you simulate everything on the server and the clients sync with the state of the scene as on the server (a typical Unet approach, and many other networking solutions also use the same approach), then you're looking at a whole lot of server instances for your game. Was that 20k to 50k concurrent players, or total customers, because if concurrent players you're looking at 20,000 / (12 + 12) = 834 server instances. That's not going to be cheap to host.

Now if you don't need Unity features on the server, then you can look at solutions where a single server instance can run multiple matches at the same time. This would be potentially a lot more efficient cost wise. So I'd focus in more on what exactly you want to do server side, and look at the link g_a_p posted, and you should be able to narrow down the list to a few and just give those a try. Maybe SmartFoxServer, maybe you take one of several low level API's and build on top of it, etc.

Ellernate and g_a_p like this.
  5. zzkontaz

zzkontaz

Thank you for you replies. As I mentioned I really don't know how real time multiplayer system works. I will post a gameplay video when I get some place in this project. I hope people helps me for selecting the best networking system.