Search Unity

Suggested Addressables Analyze tool improvements

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by JoeriCG, Feb 21, 2020.

1. JoeriCG

JoeriCG

I've been tinkering with how to organise the addressables in our rather chunky project. We've had some load time issues by applying the "Check Duplicate Bundle Dependencies" rule project-wide, so I removed the de-duplicated assets group again to try and do it manually. This is my situation after running the tool now:
    upload_2020-2-21_10-55-58.png
    This list goes on for multiple prefabs in the "Scene Seasons". As you can see, it's quite a mess of assets. I found two things that would make things a lot easier:
    • I can only do "Fix the selected rule" on everything it found, it would be nice if I could do this on a per-addressable basis.
    • If I want to go over asset manually, it'd be nice if they were ordered by path in the above list. Right now there's no way to order the results.
    This is on Addressables v1.6.2.

aschtronaut likes this.
  2. ImproxGames

ImproxGames

Chiming in here, it would be good to also have it so that selecting an asset from the analyze window would display it in inspector, right now trying to fix duplicates by hand is very slow.

cg-adam and faolad like this.
  3. CameronND

CameronND

I agree with everything mentioned here. The system is slow, combersome, and not very extensible for doing custom analyze rules.
    • Why are classes marked as internal? At least change to protected internal so we can create a class which can live in our own project and not within the addressables project.
    • Why does the documentation say to extend AnalyzeRule class, but really you need to extend BundleRuleBase class (which is private) since it kicks off a proper bundle build in order to gather the correct bundle info?
    • Why are the analyze results just a string? Why can't we just provide an object instead? That would let us provide custom functionality if we wanted (eg: holding references to data, custom click handling, etc)? I am already familiar with the TreeView control so this should be simple.
    • Why does clicking on an item not do anything? At least it should select the asset in the project window.
    • Why are the results shown as Group -> Bundle -> Asset? It makes more sense to me to show the Asset first (with a count of how many times its been duplicated) instead of having an asset appear in multiple entries under different groups. This would especially be useful when we have the ability to fix single items instead of everything. I realize the other format is also useful to some people so how about a toggle between the 2 views? Or display both... Its using the same data, just displayed differently.
    • Why can't I fix only the highlighted item instead of the whole results? Sometimes we may want to have duplicated items and we are forced to just fix everything.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020