Search Unity

Suggest me a theme for a puzzle game like 2048.

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by bhavinpanara22, Jul 25, 2015.

?

Do you think, hard to complete number puzzle game can give you a success ?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Probably

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. bhavinpanara22

bhavinpanara22

Hello,

I have developed a puzzle game like 2048. It's not actually copy of 2048. Only one thing is similar between 2048 & my game. That similar thing is 4x4 board with some numbers on them. Game play is completely different.

Game is for all age groups. It has simple addition & subtraction of numbers, but still game is not that easy to complete.

I have already completed the prototype with simple dummy graphics. Now i need you to suggest me what kind of theme & background i should use to make my game, look more attractive.

Should i use background music(looped) ?
    Which theme i should use ? Nature ? Casual ? Cartoon ? Sci-fi ? or any other ? Or should i use all of these themes and let the user choose it ?

Please suggest me. If you post with images, then it will be really helpful.
    Thanks.

2. tedthebug

tedthebug

post the prototype in the friday feedback so people can play it. You will get better responses when people see how it plays & actually looks now.

3. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

A good puzzle game doesn't need a theme. The point of abstract puzzles is the puzzle itself. The less that gets in the way, the better.

Gigiwoo, bhavinpanara22 and Not_Sure like this.
  4. HakJak

HakJak

Do some research on "minimalist" design and art styles, and on soothing color pallets. That should be the "theme" of a game like that. Clean, simple designs. Smooth-as-butter animations and effects. Calm colors, sounds and maybe even music. Think "zen" type of atmosphere. Your player is doing something that can be stressful/challenging, yet rewarding. Try to counter that with a zen-like look and feel.

bhavinpanara22 and Kiwasi like this.
  5. bhavinpanara22

bhavinpanara22

@tedthebug Here are some screenshots from the game.Ignore the black bar on the right & left side of all screenshots. They are not the part of game.
    This is the first scene. Black box is for logo. & half transparent circles in the background keeps moving randomly. 7 colors are from RAINBOW. Their combination can make some awesome colors.
    Screen Shot 2015-07-27 at 9.39.11 am.png
    Here is the main scene, where player will be playing. I have not implemented 7 circles in the background in this main scene. Because it can be distracting.

Screen Shot 2015-07-27 at 9.38.19 am.png
    Here is the game over scene.

Screen Shot 2015-07-27 at 9.39.41 am.png

Now, please suggest me themes & changes.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  6. bhavinpanara22

bhavinpanara22

You are totally right. But if a good puzzle game has good theme, then wouldn't it be plus point ?

7. bhavinpanara22

bhavinpanara22

I was thinking about the same minimalist art & soothing colors. But i didn't knew the name. So, i didn't know, what to search on Google. Thank you very much for helping.

8. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Or it could be a distraction. Games that try to do touch often fail at all of it.

9. bhavinpanara22

bhavinpanara22

So, what do you say about screenshots i have shared ?
    Any suggestions ?

10. Rodolfo1

Rodolfo1

I saw a Pokémon version of this game...
    Maybe shapes?
    Or Elements?
    Maybe Candy?
    Emojis?
    You can even set the game to have different skins and offer in-app purchases or something.

11. Samuel411

Samuel411

Is that 17.7 ms being used in your menu? That's not good at all, looks like you may have to do some optimizing if you want to reach a wide audience.

As for the theme of it I think you just need to add pictures for the menu buttons (twitter, fb, achievements) and make a button sprite. In game it looks like it just needs a few updates. I'd go for a cartoon type of look.

12. bhavinpanara22

bhavinpanara22

Can you please post a link to the pokemon game you have seen.

Offering different skins with in-app purchase is good idea, but i don't think anybody will pay for a skin.

13. bhavinpanara22

bhavinpanara22

NO, 17.7 ms & FPS written in brackets are just for testing. So, i can see how many frames per second i get on different kind of devices. Generally it's more then 50.

Adding picture for fb, twitter, etc are already planned, but i have not used them, because i am confused about button shapes,animations on click & all things related to the look of the game.

14. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

You don't need a theme. What you need is an artist, to help you with style. If you have $, you could hire someone like this. Before I could afford artists, I got my wife and daughter to help me. The shapes and basic look of the game is not terrible. What's missing is ratio, strong color pallette, and cohesiveness. Things like the rule of there, golden-ratio, and of course color-theory will also help. An artist friend could go a long-way to making that look professional.

Gigi

tedthebug likes this.
  15. bhavinpanara22

bhavinpanara22

Thank you very much for suggestions.
    By the way, which kind of colors you will suggest ?

16. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

You asking me? I'm partially color-blind. Which is why I hired artists, or begged my wife/daughter to help. For color palettes, go to images.google.com and type 'Color palette' - Boom - thousands of possibilities.

Gigi

Kiwasi, tedthebug and Samuel411 like this.
  17. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

There is significant wisdom in asking your female half for colour and design advice. Its not just stereotyping either, females generally have superior colour vision.

18. bhavinpanara22

bhavinpanara22

The reason i am being confused is, there are lots of color combination possible & i can't make choice between them.

19. bhavinpanara22

bhavinpanara22

I wish, i can do this.

But i am forever alone guy. I am unmarried & i don't have any female friends. :D

20. bhavinpanara22

bhavinpanara22

Anyway guys, i have decided go with some red, some green & some blue shade colors.