Search Unity

Sudo legal question about deprecated assets

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Velo222, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Velo222

Velo222

I have a specific situation that I'm curious about, in that I purchased an asset from the Unity asset store that has since been "deprecated". It is no longer being supported.

I want to modify some of the shader code from this deprecated asset, but I am not quite sure how to do it myself. So, I wanted to share the shader code with someone on the Unity forums in order to get their help on how to modify the code.

Is this okay to do from a legal standpoint? Does it matter? I am just curious if it is or not.

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Providing you purchased the asset or downloaded it, the EULA agreed to at that time, is still binding for you. If that's the asset store default EULA then it will mean that you can go ahead and use it - it is just not for sale on the Unity store (depreciated). This can be temporary or forever, and there does not need to be a specific reason.

It is not legal for you to share the code on the forums or ask anyone to modify it for you without paying them to work in your capacity.

Depreciated does not mean legally, anything changed. It just means that it is not currently for sale.

Still, you can go ahead and ask if anyone else has ideas without sharing the code on the Unity forums, and the best bet is simply to talk to the original author.

Ask for permission to share some or all of the specific shader you wish to modify.

Ryiah and Sailendu like this.
  3. Velo222

Velo222

Ok, thanks hippocoder. That helps me decide then. Thanks for the info.