Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Suddenly need to "Update" project from initial commit

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by xofreshxo, Jul 30, 2019.

1. xofreshxo

xofreshxo

I turned on Unity today and suddenly my Collab dropdown is saying that I need to Update my project from the initial commit. My project looks exactly the same as when I turned it off yesterday, but it seems like the version control thinks that I have done nothing since the project was created. For some reason, there are icons next to all of my folders, as if they are new.

I'm using Unity 2019.1.2f1

Attached Files:

2. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @xofreshxo, if Collaborate got confused about what parts of your project are synced then you can reset it by removing the CollabSnapshot file inside of your project's Library/Collab/ folder. Close your project, remove the folder, then reopen your project and wait for Collab to finish scanning your project. Your changes should be synced and properly compared to the latest committed version after that.

3. xofreshxo

xofreshxo

@ryanc-unity I tried two things after closing my project:
    1. I deleted the CollabSnapshot file and then opened the project again.
    2. I removed the Collab folder ( I didn't delete it, just placed it on my desktop) and then opened the project again.
    In both cases, the Collab dropdown remained the same, saying I have "15 revisions available".

4. pcg

pcg

Due to a crashing problem in Unity I had to delete my entire Library folder because unity would not open.
    Now I get the same error described here.
    It tells me I have 446 revisions available and wants to download the entire project.

5. xofreshxo

xofreshxo

@ryanc-unity any other steps we could try to resolve this? Thanks

I attempted to backup my current files through git and then proceeded to "Update now!" on Unity Collab. It downloaded a bunch of files, asked me to resolve merge conflicts. I tried to accept "my files" and then got an error saying that files couldn't be moved. I then tried to accept "their files" and still got an error saying that files couldn't be moved.

I used git to get my project back to the state before starting this experiment. I guess I'll use that until this Collab bug is fixed.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  6. pcg

pcg

I've not been able to commit over a weeks worth of changes now, is there any update on this?

FYI - I'm using Collab 2.0 preview 18 on unity 2019.1.8f

If you need any further information please let me know.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  7. xofreshxo

xofreshxo

I'm still in the same position, I recommend using git for the time being so you can make changes knowing that you have somewhere you can go back to if you need it.

8. pcg

pcg

Im trying to avoid using git because I'd need to pay extra for an LFS pack. Quite frustrating.
    I've backed up my assets folder elsewhere and I'm going to try and update the project and see how that goes.
    So far yet another wasted day dealing with collab.

9. pcg

pcg

Is it possible to unlink collab completely from this project and when link back up again and have it check for changes?

10. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @xofreshxo and @pcg, I'm sorry for the delayed response. I was discussing with the devs on what the problem is exactly and what the solution would be after running into this bug. The problem seems to be that the Editor is somehow setting the head of the repo incorrectly (we're still looking into why this happens) so it gets to confused on which commit you currently have downloaded.

The solution, unfortunately, is to re-download your project from the Cloud and continuing work from there. If you're using Hub 2.0+, you'll need to rename the folder your project is in, then restart the Hub to be allowed to re-download the project.

We're continuing to look into the cause of this issue and see if we can get out a quick fix without taking away too much time from working on New Collab. I hope the workaround helps to unblock you so that you can keep working.

pcg likes this.
  11. pcg

pcg

Hey @ryanc-unity thanks for the reply.

I was actually in the process of doing just that. Its took a few hours as its +11gb.

I renamed the old project as you mention, re-downloaded from the cloud via the hub waited for unity to finish opening the project and made sure collab was happy.
    I then closed unity, deleted the assets folder of my recent download, copied the assets folder from my original working copy and opened unity again.
    It looks like its picked up the changes correctly and has committed to collab.

Ryan-Unity likes this.
  12. pcg

pcg

With regards to recreating the problem, it happened at the same time as the 2019.2 roll out.
    Also I deleted my Library folder because unity crashed when I tried to open it after switching platforms.
    It may have just been bad timing on my part to delete the Library folder with the roll out issue.
    I also tried moving the .collab folder out of the main folder and later put back to try and resolve the problems so I've probably made things worse.

13. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

I'm glad (but also sorry) that re-downloading your project unblocked you. It's never our intention to have this be a necessary workaround but I'm relieved to hear that it worked for you.

Thank you for letting me know what things you tried when you ran into the problem. I would strongly suggest not messing with the .collab folder in the future unless you consider yourself a Git power user :).

xofreshxo and pcg like this.
  14. Dknighter2

Dknighter2

I just had this issue with Unity 2019.4.7f1. My Unity crashed during a "check for changes" and when I re-opened again it is asking me to "update" my project even though there are no file changes. I tried deleting the collab folder like you said here. Now, my project is 40Gb so re-downloading is going to waste a lot of time.

15. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @Dknighter2, I'm sorry that you're experiencing issues. So you tried deleting the Collab folder and reopened your project but it still asks you to Update? You should be able to press Update and not risk losing any of your changes if they're identical to what you already have. It also won't overwrite any local changes that haven't been committed yet.

Do you happen to have the stack trace of the crash that happened during "check for changes"?

16. Dknighter2

Dknighter2

Clicking update didn't work because it would stop downloading the files and get stuck at a certain point. The only way I managed to fix it was to redownload the project. The "crash" was my fault and it was actually just me being stupid and ending the process in task manager because it was late and I didn't want to wait for the long "checking for changes" since there is no way to cancel it. Redownloading actually solved another problem, my library folder went from 80GB to 40GB. I think when I upgraded my project from Unity 2017.4 to Unity 2019.4 my library folder reset but it didn't remove the old files.

17. Krzysztof_Poros

Krzysztof_Poros

Same issue here, out of nowhere.
    I have over 3k of commits to download.
    Its over 19 GB, download + importing takes over 6 hours, so...
    Friend from desk beside me had this 2 days ago.
    This is getting ridiciolous.

And solution "Redownload and loose a whole workday" isn't a solution at all for a paid service.
    And this topic is started in 2017...

Oh, and a bonus - this morning, downloading other peoples changes it crashed my scene. (Destroyed hierarchy, placed some "RecoveryObjects 21412441" into scene, it all went to hell. Reverting scene didn't help. As it was second time my scene (a copy only I am working on) got blown up i took it from a second PC that didn't downlaod that changes yet.

Almost every day we have issues with collab.
    Cannot submit changes -> forcing us to reset -> 10 minut "Checking for changes" x 2 per day usually x 10 workstations = 200 minutes per day lost.
    Weird files appearing as "modified" while they are completely out of my scope, and im 200% sure i didn't touch them and so on.

I like the idea of collab - simple and easy to use.
    But its bugs are killing it.

18. FirstTimeCreator

FirstTimeCreator

I suffered a crash due to my graphics card being OC'd and it got unstable and crashed my PC.

When I came back and loaded the project, Collab is telling me I have 874 revisions to download. I have tried deleting the collab folder under library it did nothing.

Now I have to waste an entire day, maybe more redownloading 60GB.. it is a waste of my time and a waste of bandwidth. Why can't collab just give me the option to have it check file sizes and skip redownloading files that already exist.

There needs to be a built in solution to fixing this problem where it becomes unsynced without having to redownload an entire project and start over.

It is unacceptable.

Quit wasting our time Unity and fix this mess. We pay for this service.. spend the money on actual development.

It is fairly easy to reproduce this problem, simply pull the power on your PC while doing something on the project. It will happen to you eventually. Both times I have had a sudden crash I have had to redownload the entire project even though my project 100% matched the servers latest version because I had just posted an update recently.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  19. FirstTimeCreator

FirstTimeCreator

Is there no way to pause and resume the download?
    My internet can be unstable at times and if it stops mid way on this 32GB download without saving its place this is going to be a living nightmare.

Also...

I just love how there is no download speed throttling as if there are no other people in the house that use the internet for various things.. now that I'm forced to tie up the internet for 10 to 20 hours..

Or how about an estimated time to finish downloading based on an average download speed.. I had to go use a calculator and figure it out myself. I guess I HAVE PLENTY OF FREE TIME ON MY HANDS.. Don't I.

Some basic features that have been around since the year 2000 would be nice.

Now that im done hating on Collab when it fails to work properly. When it is working I like it just fine. 98% of the time. If this sudden crash forcing me to re download my entire project did not happen I would be not be on here complaining about it.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  20. FirstTimeCreator

FirstTimeCreator

So... about every 500MB the download is getting stuck. My internet is working fine, I have checked everything and infact was using the internet the entire time. For some reason it just keeps getting stuck downloading... of course collab gives me no ryme or reason why it is stalling. Then it takes me another 3 to 4 minutes to get it started again.

Anyone want to tell me why I have to literally babysit this download......

21. FirstTimeCreator

FirstTimeCreator

It is literally never ending with Collab. So I have finally got the 32GB downloaded into a fresh empty project and now I have this to deal with after it finally installed......

I tried to resolve one of them and after it sat there for 5 minutes it gave me an error saying there was an error resolving the conflict... are we serious!

So I restarted the editor and it appears to be importing some files. God I hope this resolves itself so I can finally get back to work.

A piece of advice, make a second backup to use as a base if collab messes up and loses Sync.. it is sad that you have to do that given collab is suppose to be a system to keep a backup for you.

It is such a poorly designed and implemented system... I expect better from Unity.