Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Sudden wave of fake negative reviews

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by xucian, Dec 14, 2017.

1. xucian

xucian

Hi community,
    This is about our Optimized ScrollView Adapter.
    The Asset Store team said they can't help, so we want to at least see if some else also thinks that these reviews are fake.
    They started to pop out after another scrollview package was released by a Chinese publisher. We're almost sure it's them. They copied a lot of things from us, even the price, when it was 40$.

The key clue: our asset was the first one reviewed by these users (and they didn't review any other to date - click on their names below to confirm this)

A 2nd clue: our package had immense improvements and the implementation is now incredibly easier, compared to previous versions (where we had only 5-star reviews), plus a quick start implementation is covered in great detail in the tutorial video we've posted for v3.0.

We understand & agree with constructive positive/negative feedback, but when it smells of unfair competition 'hacks', this is... frustrating.
    Although those reviews looked a bit suspicious at first, it seemed non-essential to investigate the authors at that time, but things got more serious when the rating dropped from 5 to 4 stars a week ago. It bit us more now...

Below are the 4 reviews we highly suspect are malicious (there are 5 negative in total, but the 5th one, although insulting and 100% non-constructive, posted by a guy who gives mostly negative reviews, appears as real).

1. exoter, 6 days ago, fake chance 80%:
    Big Disappointment
    Got this asset with big hopes - high price, good reviews. It turns out quite the opposite for me:

1. Quality of Code - this is probably the worst part. The code of the asset and the samples is written horribly. The author should check some code quality courses. I will not exaggerated if I say that this is one of the worst projects I have ever seen(and I have seen a lot) in terms of code quality.

2. The Support - tried to contact the support 2 times with what seems to me standard questions. Both times I got fast reponse and I cannot argue with that. However both times I didn't get answer to my questions - I was repeated that using the package requires "moderate programming experience" which was quite aggressive - come on man... if I am writing to you with developers questions and if I am trying to use this package... well probably I have "moderate programming experience"

3. The Price - compared to other packages it is quite expensive and you get nothing that deserves that price. I thought that if it is so expensive it gotta be good. Wrong. Got the cheaper available package - did my job in 10-15 mins (with my "moderate programming experience") and forgot about it.
    - "The author should check some code quality courses". Well, this is one of the strongest evidence he's totally "off-topic"(We're obsessed with code structure and respecting conventions). He also doesn't forget to say "Got the cheaper available package - did my job in 10-15mins"
    - this user appears to be a real one (it has a photo), but the pattern holds: he didn't review any other asset

2. chrisj7w, 1 week ago, fake chance 98%:
    Overly complicated implementation, bad examples and terrible importing code structure.
    Edit after developer comment: HA no wonder you have a 4 star rating. You take the time to report truthful negative reviews and get them expunged so you can maintain your high rating. Honestly I can see you have put in a lot of work building this thing but seriously... ORGANIZE it.. it’s so disorganized. If I could post a screenshot I would. As why is the top level folder named “SRIA”???? Oh yes, and i've reported this project for misleading content and reported you for wrongly reporting me. It goes both ways.

The simple demo is far from simple and is hard to read. A simple demo with hard coded values demonstrating the basic function of an optimized scroll view is GREATLY needed. I wouldn't bother buying this unless you have a long time to disect the "simple" demo and try and figure out what part is the drawer and what part is actually needed to use the scroll functions.

Edit: The examples have no separation so it is nearly impossible to import the code base without TONS of bloat code. There has been no care in the distribution of this project. Such great potential and a lot of work has gone into it but it needs a lot of organization structurally and after 3 hours of working with it to adapt one of my list views from their "simple" list views there are still peices that don't make any sense.
    Reply from publisher
    1 week ago
    Your fake reviews, guys, started to drop our rating from 5 to 4 stars, which makes your alternative ScrollView solution look better.
    This is disgraceful. I reported this to unity staff and I hope action will take place, as this can't continue​
    - never saw someone that motivated to leave a review. He edited his review 2 times, just to make sure he has the last word and 'prove us wrong'. Also, less important, but relevant: doesn't seem that he put too much importance on choosing his username

(Edit: there are more)

We tried really hard to NOT think that those are fake reviews and see what can be improved in the asset to minimize their occurrence in the future, but there are too many dubious things that indicate that they are in fact fake. And we simply can't ignore them.

Can someone provide his own view on this?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

#1 seems legit, from reading it and not knowing much about programming or your asset.
    To be honest - how many competitors do you have in the asset store? Do you think one competitor would pay $240.00 to make 4 negative reviews? Highly doubt it.

4 or 5 star overall review. Can you tell me what's the difference? A competitor is one place in front of your listing on the same page. Developers are going to research both packs. It is not like there are 30 other competitors and you are pushed to the second or third page.
    I don't want to make light of the fact fake reviews are bad - and should not happen. But they do and only Unity can do something about them.
    What YOU can do is stop worrying and complaining about 4 stars or 5 stars.
    People will buy the asset they want to buy and their decision is not only based on the number star rating of the asset. Reviews that are fake - are pretty obvious.

Please explain this in more detail. How did things get more serious?
    Did this really happen? Did this customer contact support and not receive a helpful answer to his question?
    What was the answer provided to the question the customer asked?

Just because one reviewer does not rate other asset packs - does not reinforce a pattern. The other reviews are pretty obvious - but the first one seems legitimate, so attempting to count it as a fake review because it aligns with a pattern does not instantly make it a fake review. Since he contacted support twice - you have his contact information - to contact him directly and resolve the matter. Why not?

From limited knowledge - it looks like you are providing a quality package on the store, and you are also providing solid, helpful feedback in the asset forum.
    My opinion - don't worry about 3-4 fake reviews. I understand it sucks - but between 4 and 5 star reviews doesn't matter with such a package. And those real customers are what is really important, the ones you are providing support for.
    If I was in the market for a pack like this - I would hold your pack in strong contention for purchase based on the professional feedback you provide in the asset forum thread. I wouldn't shift my opinion based on 4 or 5 star review at all. I would also read the reviews, and note there are several in there that are obviously fake.

Hope that helps -

one_one and xucian like this.
  3. xucian

xucian

Thank you. This really helps, indeed. :)

Sales dropping

No. He asked 2 one-line questions. For the first, he received a 10-line answer. Second time, a 5-line answer. Both times, the answers he got contained everything he needs to know, plus a lot more, a lot.

It is reinforcing a patter, but I agree that the first one seems more legit than the others. Problem is that he may be more biased towards a more skeptical approach when evaluating the asset, once he saw some negative reviews. A lot of people do this, at least subconsciously, including me. But yes, you're right - it doesn't help to get stuck too much on this, because in wilderness not everything's fluffy and pink

Edit 19-Dec-17 (forgot to answer this)
    I don't see why not. It's still a kind of 'investment'
    /Edit

You're making some very good points in this post and I thank you for that

Lucian @ TFG

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    theANMATOR2b likes this.
  4. recon0303

recon0303

The asset store is full of reviews that are from either fan boys. of the asset down voting, anything, they claim to hurt the asset....and/or some that compete with other assets have done the same.....I have seen trends here for the past year or so getting worse with stuff like that... I have seen some asset devs, them selves be a victim of being targeted and down voted for giving another asset a good review and get hammered with down votes...

So I would take the review system with a grain of salt, as a professional developer in the industry for over 20 years, this behavior is not acceptable. for any asset... They should be fair and direct.. no matter if good or bad. ..If someone gives an asset anything but a 5 star review, you can count on being down voted alot by fans of the asset...even for honest , fair reviews......

So again take it with a grain of salt. I do not own your asset, or know to much about it, I do know the asset store well and tested many assets on the store and seen bad behavior. from good and bad reviews.....So I do not trust them anymore I ask people that may have used the asset that I know.. most of the time, or buy assets from developers I already know well.

anyways sorry you had this happen.

The Animator2B, has some really good points and agree with that statement 100%.

The issue is some Unity, users, do use emotion and rate 1 star, when maybe it should be 2 or 3 stars... anyways I wouldn't let it bother you.....as Animator2B said, worry about your customers who do you like your tool and more will come as well... build on it.. even great known assets get 1 star reviews...I have gave one one star review to a known asset due to no support at the time, and other reasons.. I typically only down vote when an asset is not working, and no support, other wise, its normally 5 star.. sometimes 4.. I'm always fair.....

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    theANMATOR2b and xucian like this.
  5. LaneFox

LaneFox

If someone emailed you for support, then left a review with their impressions of said support then it is very unlikely that they are fake.

These look like pretty normal reviews, I'm pretty sure you're overreacting and the general reactive appearance here is a little childish. I would suggest less tin foil hat and complaining about customers. Not all customers will think your product is the glorious work of art that you think it is and that is normal. You simply have to process the criticism and move on with it rather than making a mess of the product's review page.

one_one and xucian like this.
  6. recon0303

recon0303

Forgot to mention, if I seen this, I would of stayed away from the asset.
    Before buying:
    - we have enough reasons to think most of the negative reviews until 07-Dec-17 were posted by our competition, so please factor this in
    - please do not buy this asset if you're a beginner programmer! We provide extensive support, but we cannot teach you best practices and OOP

I been coding over 20 years.,so I have experience, but this makes it look like you can't handle anything but 5 stars. So as someone that has run business's in three fields, do not use any negative words.. no matter how bad you get people like this.....no matter how good your business is we all get some negative reviews....Making games is just as bad... keep this in mind, and do your best to help those people .. You can even help those people and they still never fixed the review...Not much you can do..but keep making your business, software, game what ever better.. II would take that down. it looks bad. anyways best of luck with your asset.

xucian and theANMATOR2b like this.
  7. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

Oh wait... This isn't about The Last Jedi is it? :)

theANMATOR2b and recon0303 like this.
  8. recon0303

recon0303

Shh, I haven't see it yet :) Haha . Teagans.

theANMATOR2b likes this.