Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Sudden change of command line argument handling for (linux?) builds

Discussion in '2023.1 Beta' started by Armynator, Feb 3, 2023.

1. Armynator

Armynator

It looks like the way standalone builds handle command line arguments was changed without any warning or notice in 2023.1.

When I created a headless linux64 build for our dedicated server infrastructure today, I was really confused when the builds could not be started automatically. It turned out that the new default behaviour for the builds is to crash when any unknown argument is passed, be it "-batchmode", "-nographics" or even custom ones like "-gameserverport=1234".

To fix this, it's enough to pass "-arg-error-policy ignore" (or "-aep ignore") as first argument.
    "-aep warn" and "-aep fatal" also exist, but as far as I can see "-aep fatal" is the default behaviour at the moment, which makes absolutely no sense for me. If it was always ignored before (as the arg-error-policy argument didn't exist before), why make crashing the whole application the default behaviour all of a sudden?

Also why isn't there any info about this in the changelog?
    It's also not documented yet: https://docs.unity3d.com/2023.1/Documentation/Manual/PlayerCommandLineArguments.html

So my feedback is:
    - don't make builds with custom command line arguments crash without warning/transition period
    - make "-aep warn" (instead of "-aep fatal") the default behaviour for now
    - add infos about this to the 2023.1 changelog and to the Unity documentation

(Tested with 2023.1b1 on a headless/dedicated server linux64 build with IL2CPP and Mono)

CASE IN-30928

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  2. JohannRw

JohannRw

Unity Technologies

Thank you for flagging this issue.
    We are going to revert the change to "ignore" as default.

Armynator likes this.