Search Unity

subway surfer game creation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Muktan, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Muktan

Muktan

2. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

The track/world is actually a straight line made up of modular pieces, but they use a shader to warp the result.

3. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

That's a shader? Cool!
    In that case I really would not have guessed that. I'd have imagined they warped the straight level or tiles along a deformation track or something similar.

4. Muktan

Muktan

hi tks a lot for the reply. so u r saying these kind they made pieces of track/world and looped as character moves forward? can u plz tell me more about warp shader how they used it :) tks a lot

5. Landern

Landern

Probably procedural in code, the player most likely doesn't move forward in the level, but the level moves underneath him, as game blocks/pieces move out of the view of the camera, the piece is probably recycled or placed back into a pool of objects to be used at a later time. As the level/game progresses, different pieces may be activated and used, giving the sense of change and progress. Just a guess.

6. hafizmrozlan

hafizmrozlan

I still remember the day when I played the game in iOS, it has the unity basic splash screen. Long time has passed since then. It has a fun and great mechanic, but the pooling of the track is not really vast, it is quite limited actually and after a while you'll kind of remember all the pieces they used for the whole game.

I also think that the player didn't move, just the track is moving beneath them, I thought they make a sphere (earth-like) track that is keep spinning with increasing speed, it really surprised me if they use shader for the warp effect.

7. wccrawford

wccrawford

I've heard a few times that they used a shader.

Personally, I would have created the assets curved and put them on a giant circle, and spun the circle, creating new pieces just before they come into view and deleting them just after they leave. But perhaps that just makes it too hard to line them up.

Alternatively, I might have made them straight and used something like Megafiers to warp them. That seems rather hard on the CPU for no reason, though. It isn't like I'd ever want them *not* curved.

8. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

9. Muktan

Muktan

tks a lot guys :)

10. Muktan

Muktan

guys i m new to gaming stuff they said they worked linear environment what does that mean can u guys plz explain me? tks

11. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

Its really cute how unity allows us to turn from rookies to pros so fast !

12. PixelShroom

PixelShroom

A linear environment is just as what was mentioned earlier, its just a straight line and a straight map I assume.
    It's some pretty crazy vertex shaders there, I wonder how they did it.

13. Bunny83

Bunny83