Search Unity

Resolved SubsystemRegistration

Discussion in 'Scripting Dev Blitz Day 2023 - Q&A' started by Baste, Feb 23, 2023.

1. Baste

Baste

The different RuntimeInitializeOnLoadTypes are fairly easy to understand - except the SubsystemRegistration.

When exactly does our code get run relative to other things when we use

[RuntimeInitializeOnLoadMethod(RuntimeInitializeLoadType.SubsystemRegistration)]
    ? How does this differ between editor and runtime?

2. SF_FrankvHoof

SF_FrankvHoof

3. Maria_Angelova

Maria_Angelova

Unity Technologies

I agree documentation here is lacking. I don't actually see any big difference between editor and play mode for this call back. But generally speaking this is the order of events: DoneInitializingEngineGraphics -> SubsystemRegistration -> AfterAssembliesLoaded -> BeforeSplashScreen -> BeforeSceneLoad -> AfterSceneLoad -> Awake

4. SF_FrankvHoof

SF_FrankvHoof

Could be me, but this seems odd..
    Wouldn't the assemblies need to be loaded for SubsystemRegistration to start? Since the Subsystems are (generally) part of those assemblies?

5. Maria_Angelova

Maria_Angelova

Unity Technologies

At the SubsystemRegistration time, all assemblies are loaded in the sense that all code and systems is present in the domain and can be executed. SubsystemRegistration event is an opportunity for systems to correctly initialize themselves and hook up to relevant other systems as part of the assembly loading process.

SF_FrankvHoof likes this.