Search Unity

Substance to Unity. Trouble with height/parallax maps.

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by Yensoo, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Yensoo

Yensoo

I'm having trouble getting Unity to render my substance how it looks in substance designer. Here's a side by side comparison image. http://i.imgur.com/jUelZao.jpg

In Unity I've cranked the height slider to the max in the material settings (Which oddly only goes to a max of 0.08.) and this is the result I get. I know it's doing SOMETHING though because when I scrub the slider up and down it does change a little. And you can even see how the height of the shingle on the left side of the unity screen is lower than the right side. But I can't get it to show up any higher than that.

Also this is with Substance height cranked to it's full depth which means no subtle height changes show up at all. Any idea how I can fix this?

Side notes: I'm using Unity's default metal smoothness shader and this is with the substance directly imported into unity. I have tried exporting the maps from substance and importing them into Unity as png files but it has the same problem with the added annoyance of not being able to export the smoothness map as a channel of the metallic map without a bunch of workarounds.
    Also for the node workflow within substance I have the height generated by having the grey-scale info fed into a normal node (with cranked intensity) then into a normal_to_height node (tried with different settings without much difference) and then fed into the output.

2. DimitriX89

DimitriX89

It seems like Substance uses better shader for parallax mapping. AFAIK in Unity standard shader, parallax implementation is the most basic. It just warps the UV coordinates of the pixel based on surface normal direction*heightmap. It is no match for true "relief mapping".

3. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

It almost looks to me like the normals are going the wrong direction as well.