Search Unity

Question Substance Painter to Unity HDRP, Grainy Shadows, Weird Distortion

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by GerPronouncedGrr, Mar 23, 2021.

1. GerPronouncedGrr

GerPronouncedGrr

I recently started working with the Substance tools and, after working through a basic tutorial on Painter, I brought the model and exported textures into a fresh Unity 2020.3 HDRP project. Once I had the model in scene and the textures applied (materials are those I extracted from the model), I placed it in the existing demo scene. As you can see from the image, the demo scene shadows look like they normally do, but the shadows on the model look absolutely terrible. If you look closely at the + symbol on the model, you can additionally see that the decal is being distorted for some reason. Textures were baked at 2k, and were set to the correct type after importing them to Unity.

healbot.png

2. GerPronouncedGrr

GerPronouncedGrr

Just wanted to add that the IRay render inside Painter looks good and normal.

3. Passeridae

Passeridae

Try disabling contact shadows?

4. GerPronouncedGrr

GerPronouncedGrr

Thank you! I didn't disable the shadows, but tweaking the Contact Shadows settings gave me a much nicer result. I still have some weird distortion on the decal, but this is a great start.

tmonestudio likes this.
  5. Pundt

Pundt

Not sure it will help the OP but if you found yourself here, you might want to check the slope scale depth bias and normal bias on any lights with shadows enabled.
    upload_2022-8-18_10-20-26.png