Search Unity

Substance Designer material (looking for some)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by VataRaven, Jul 24, 2014.

1. VataRaven

VataRaven

Does anyone on here besides Allegorithmic make and sale substances?

I'm just look for someone that does, but I can't seem to find any other place that sales substances.

BHS likes this.
  2. John-G

John-G

3. VataRaven

VataRaven

Those aren't textures made with Substance Designer, those are just bitmap textures, that aren't procedurally generated.

I want PURE substances, not bitmaps

4. John-G

John-G

They have some PBR based textures as well for different materials.
    Allegorithmic have teamed up with them also, so expect a lot more materials for use in substance designer and painter in the future.

5. VataRaven

VataRaven

But still doesn't help the fact that...Game Textures are only bitmaps, not true substances, which is what I want.

I even contacted Game Textures, they're only converting bitmaps, they're not making substances from scratch

6. John-G

John-G

Ok, I was under the impression that the PBR versions had attributes exposed to allow altering material.
    Haven't tried them so that must not be the case.
    But that's the power of substance designer, to create substances from materials.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  7. VataRaven

VataRaven

I mean, the Game Textures stuff is fine, and high quality.

But they are limited to the bitmap resolution.

Though, Wes on the Allegorithmic site did way you can up-scale them, but I"m not sure how how that would look

8. John-G

John-G

You can use tile by photo node attached to the imported texture to create a tiled instance of the texture.
    They are also meant yo be working on a filter/plugin to create terrain tiles that don't appear to repeat from close/far distance. But not much news on that one got a while.

http://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,404.msg10174.html#new

9. wccrawford

wccrawford

Long ago, I bought Substance Designer and thought to sell my own substances. I contacted them and confirmed that there were no issues with that, provided the substances really were my own. (Not based off theirs, etc.)

I never did get around to doing that, and I've never seen anyone else that's done it either.

I came to the conclusion that not many people really understand what a "substance" is. (Horrible name. Complex usage, despite all their claims otherwise. I tried to add one to a quad the other day and was surprised at how unintuitive it was.) Because so few understand and use them, there isn't much market for it. It's also rather hard to find assets that work with them.

Good luck on your search for people selling them, but I wouldn't hold my breath.