Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Substance Designer 6 SBSAR file support

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by QuinnDP, May 25, 2017.

1. QuinnDP

QuinnDP

When will Unity get a patch/update to support .sbsar files from Substance Designer 6? It is great to be able to manipulate our materials through different variables at run-time. SD6 finally introduced the text-node into this engine, but Unity still does not support SD6's new nodes.

It was suggested 4 months ago that the Unity Substance Plugin was close to completion, to then await Unity's verification before it would be released in a Unity update. 4 months and Unity still does not support SD6's files (without removing all SD6's benefits). What is going on at the Allegorithmic? Is the update coming? Just earlier this month you threw out a forum asking people if they're using .sbsar files, or exporting textures from designer/painter. Does that mean the plugin won't be receiving an update? Have you given up on the plugin, is there a team working on the plugin update at the moment, or is it in the hands of Unity's verification team? If it's Unity that's delaying the plugin's release, then wouldn't it be possible to release the plugin as a separate download for Substance users to install on top of Unity?

I've always been a fan of Allegorithmic and how open they/you are to the community. I don't like to barrage developers with questions like this, but this waiting game has gone on for too long now. If the public could at least get an estimate for the plugin's completion (from your side, I understand it's hard to estimate how long Unity's verification will take), then we could estimate and work around it. As it currently stands, All of SD6's new features are things to avoid, to ensure file support in engine. An unsatisfying result for both Substance's developers and its consumers if you ask me.

syscrusher, fx77er and mariusz like this.
  2. syscrusher

syscrusher

3. Dr_Evanzan

Dr_Evanzan

Is there any ETA from anyone at Unity about when the latest plugin will make it into a Unity release?
    As mentioned in the other thread, I gather the problems with the plugin have been resolved and it is waiting for Unity to include it in a release?

Edit: Oops, thought this thread was in General Discussion... didn't really need to bump this as well as the other one, sorry!

4. QuinnDP

QuinnDP

Allegorithmic gave a presentation at Unite Europe earlier this month, showing off the upcoming plugin and its new features (mostly fast integration/modification of SBS files already inserted into your project so that you can see the result in correct lighting conditions). During this presentation they said they're expecting a release in the next few weeks (been 8 days so far). We can only hope the Soon™ that they mention is true this time.

Link to video should you want to watch/learn about the new upcoming features:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    syscrusher likes this.
  5. syscrusher

syscrusher

Interesting, and looks like a useful plugin. It sounds as if they're publishing the source for their plugin, or at least part of it, to allow customization -- that's handy. Thanks for sharing.