Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Substance Designer 6 now available

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by Deleted User, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Substance Designer 6 comes with new filters dedicated to scan processing to help you build a complete workflow for creating clean, ready-to-use tiling materials adapted to photogrammetry. https://www.allegorithmic.com/products/substance-designer

Substance Designer 6 also introduces three major, long-awaited features: Curve Node, Text Node and 32-bit floating point compositing.

The bakers also get some love as they have been deeply modified to support up to 8K bakes and non-uniform (non-square) ratios. These architecture changes will unlock many more features down the road.

Cheers,
    Wes

zyzyx, syscrusher and LittleRainGames like this.
  2. LittleRainGames

LittleRainGames

Happy to see non-uniform!

3. syscrusher

syscrusher

@wesm, is Substance Designer 6 compatible with the built-in Substance feature in Unity? If so, which Unity versions? I have existing work in Unity 5.4 but am in the process of migrating it to 5.5, and (in my Copious Spare Time) starting to test Unity 5.6 beta.

I have existing licenses for Substance Designer 5, Painter 2, and B2M3. I'm thinking of taking advantage of your six-month discounted Substance Live subscription, but I have one concern: I'm soon going to have a second laptop (my current machine is a Macbook, but I'm moving to a Windows/Linux dual boot as my main machine and keeping the Macbook just for testing builds). If I have Live, will I be able to install the Substance tools on both machines, given that I'm the only human who uses the two computers?

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi,

Yes, no problem at all : ) I actually have 2 windows PCs and a MacBook I run my licenses on with no issue. We allow you to run on as many machines you own. You just won't be able to use them at the same time.

Cheers,
    WEs

syscrusher likes this.
  5. syscrusher

syscrusher

Thanks, that's great news.

What about my compatibility question? Can I create Substance Designe 6 SBSAR files and use them in Unity, and if so, what versions of Unity are supported?

P.S. -- Kudos to Allegorithmic for that Text node in Designer 6! I was one of the people who requested and voted up that feature on the forums. Very excited it's added!

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi,

At this time, you can't use the SD6 sbsar file in Unity. We have to update the image. We are working on that now and will have it released ASAP. It needs to go through Unity as well.

Cheers,
    Wes

syscrusher likes this.
  7. syscrusher

syscrusher

Thanks for the reply. I'll stay with SD5 for now, then. Please keep us updated here as the update works its way through the pipeline.

8. petersvp

petersvp

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

It's finally ready : ) The 2017.2 beta 5 has the latest Substance Engine. I may have come in b4 but I just tested with b5 and it's working.

Cheers,
    Wes

orb likes this.
  10. appl044

appl044

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi,
    I'm sorry for this issue. Are you having issues when the mesh has multiple materials?

Cheers,
    Wes

12. appl044

appl044

yes, Wes, most of my assets have multiple materials.

13. Deleted User

Deleted User

It shouldn't be a problem to work with multiple materials. You can drag and drop the substance materials onto the mesh where the material IDs set on the mesh are located. In this attached image, I have a cube with 2 materials. I imported 2 different substances and then I drag the substance material to the mesh. I can then apply this material to the material IDs that are already on the mesh.

Cheers,
    Wes

Attached Files:

14. appl044

appl044

I am using "Live Link Substance Painter - Unity". should I upload a video of what is happening?

15. Deleted User

Deleted User

Oh, I'm sorry for the confusion. I misunderstood. You should still be Ok with multiple materials. In the demos, I used the adam mesh and it has many materials applied. The materials should be set as texture sets when sent to Painter. Please upload a video : ) That will be helpful to see the problem.

Cheers,
    Wes

16. appl044

appl044