Search Unity

Substance Designer 4

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by Jerc, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Jerc

Jerc

Hi all,

We are proud to announce Substance Painter, our take at next generation texture painting!

Learn more about it OVER HERE

We also just released Substance Designer 4, and it packs some nice goodies.

The main new features are:
    • Material layering workflow - full materials can be collapsed, blended and processed as one single element.
    • PBR preview - the 3d preview now uses the same lighting model as UE4
    • Dynamic inputs and outputs - Activate node inputs and outpus on the fly for cleaner faster graphs.
    • Revamped filters library - material wide weathering filters, masks generators,material blending and transformation, etc.
    • Expose all the parameters of a node at once
    • Support for substance presets
    • Drag and drop any node in the 3d view for a instant preview
    • GUI redesign to match future other stuff that may be coming in the near future...
    • Many, many workflow improvements and small features...
    BTW, any of you who bought SD 3.x on Steam get SD 4 and all future SD 4.x updates for free, you will see the upgrade automatically in your Steam library.

And finally, all Substance Designer versions are on sale at 50% during the Autumn sales on Steam, starting right now!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  2. artzfx

artzfx

Congrats on the release, looks great, will be installing shortly :).

Keen to see what the other big announcement is for next.

3. tswalk

tswalk

I haven't been able to connect to the website... keep getting an error; however, I had purchased 3.5 in May.. I hope I am able to upgrade!

4. iskandarkhouri

iskandarkhouri

@tswalk: the Website is back online! Please send us a PM on our contact form regarding the upgrade path.

5. tswalk

tswalk

thanks, btw.. that steam sale is a crazy deal... anyone who passes that up is more crazy. :D

6. Jerc

Jerc

We are proud to announce Substance Painter, our take at next generation texture painting!

Learn more about it OVER HERE

7. IPopeyIE

IPopeyIE

For some reason steam says 25% off. Can i get a promo code for 50%?

8. iskandarkhouri

iskandarkhouri

Please send us a PM on our contact form and we'll handle it.

9. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

I can confirm - they handle it and you won't regret your decission. ;)

10. wccrawford

wccrawford

Allegorithmic has always been really, really good at customer service. I've never been disappointed in them.

11. IPopeyIE

IPopeyIE

Done. I'll see what happens. Thanks

12. artzfx

artzfx

+1

13. tswalk

tswalk

Ditto!

great tools, great support...

14. freezingwreck

freezingwreck

that looks really nice but would it be possible to use this technology directly in unity? being able to place a bullet hole on a object midgame is something i would like to do.

15. Pix10

Pix10

They are extremely cool. A good example of why I really like small independent DCC developers.

16. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

That's something you should do with decals rather than substances. Think of Substance Designer more like a nodal replacement for a complex Photoshop batch/automation setup that can be tweaked in your destination app (Unity, Unreal, modo, Max, Maya...) directly.

17. Deleted User

Deleted User

"BTW, any of you who bought SD 3.x on Steam get SD 4 and all future SD 4.x updates for free, you will see the upgrade automatically in your Steam library."

In my view, that´s quite unfair. I bought Substance Designer via Allegorithmic website, now I have to pay more than steam customers? WTF?

18. Deleted User

Deleted User

Please contact me directly at wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com and I'll get you a free upgrade : )

Cheers,

Wes

19. Deleted User

Deleted User

that´s good news, thanks!

20. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

How does one use the PBR shaders generated by Substance Designer or Substance Painter in Unity? Do the materials include a PBR shader somehow?

21. niosop2

niosop2

Nope, SD/SP just generate textures. You'll need a shader that can use them. Alloy and Jove are two paid alternatives. Lux is a free alternative.

22. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Forgive the massive newbie here. I have a model I made in C4D, and I've imported it into SD. I'd like to have 3 materials --- wood, rubber & metal -- for this toy train.

However, when I select which material I want for each part of the .fbx, all of them change to the same one.

Is there any documentation on how to use this feature properly?

Thanks!!

Attached Files:

23. artzfx

artzfx

Based on your image above it looks as though you have only one material used on each object/model in C4D.

Assign separate C4D materials for each material you wish to represent in SD. SD will recognise the separate Material ID's then.

Make sure to select "Textures and Materials" checkbox in the C4D > FBX exporter.

Alternatively, you could UV your models, or use polygon set selections and Bake Texture inside C4D. Select "Color" as the property to bake. Import the resulting Color map to SD along with the fbx model. Use SD's Multi Material blend node to assign materials based on the color map.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014