Search Unity

Substance Designer 2.0

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by Jerc, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Jerc

Jerc

Hi everyone, Substance Designer 2.1 is now available !

Check out what you can do with substances in these free unity projects: Airstream Pimp your Hooligan !

You can grab the fully functional trial version over here : PC and MAC

As a reminder, here are the main features :

- Mac OSX version
    - Lite edition
    - New layer based interface
    - New vector graphics editor
    - Designer 2.1 includes $700 worth of substances with their sources

You can find more information and a feature list comparison on our website: Designer

The 40% discount is still available for Pro, Android and IOS licensees, pricing Designer 2.1 at $594
    while Designer Lite 2.0 costs $350

If you have general, technical or workflow questions about substances and Unity, feel free to ask on Unity's forums or on ours.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  2. larvantholos

larvantholos

But I have barely started to play with uh... 1.3? lol

3. Jerc

Jerc

Ho and I forgot to add this: The update is free for 1.2 customers, so go get it ! :)

4. larvantholos

larvantholos

I will get it <..< I already new this too. But I suppose I could ask a relevant question, how do I upgrade? I note I'm not issued any new keys for 2.0 or any more activations, and it hasn't shown up in my available to download files yet. I'm assuming that you guys will get this all sorted in the next few days (I'm taking a long weekend so I'll find out I guess in a few days :D) excited about the release tho!

5. Jerc

Jerc

Yep, still some things to sort out on the store, but you can download the trial throuhg the link I posted above and activate it using your Designer 1.2 key.

6. Foam Sleeve

Foam Sleeve

Was wondering if a randomized shader would tile with different randomized copy of the same shader.
    I've been trying to figure out if this has been covered somewhere, as I find the concept and execution of Substance rather intriguing regardless.

... may not be the best place to ask this, but I keep going through different threads and the conversation topic always seems to change slightly anyways... or dip into bitter rant between a couple of dudes.

7. Jerc

Jerc

The substances available on the Asset store don't behave like that but it's pretty simple to set up in Substance Designer.

8. Jessy

Jessy

Are there any limitations that you could run across with Substance Designer, if you don't have a Unity Pro license? Also, will you run into problems if you only want to use your own shaders? I'm mainly interested in it as a procedural texturing tool, at this point, but I'm honestly not clear on what all it can do.

9. larvantholos

larvantholos

you can plug it into any shader, if you just need the texturing portion, you just tell it what maps to generate, that would plug into your shader, and then you can get the results you wish.

10. Jerc

Jerc

Hi all !

We celebrate the release of Substance Designer 2.1 by giving everyone a 50% discount on the full version until January 31st !
    Use the coupon code "SUBSTANCEFLASH" to get your discount.

If you don't know what Substance Designer is, here is the place where you should start.
    If you are already a substance addict, head over here for the changelog.

Also, as of now, every substance collection includes all the source graphs and ressources so you can learn, modify and mix substances together as you please.

11. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Im trying to understand how Substance works. From what I'm gathering, it's a separate program that allows you to create "materials" which are called Substances that you drag onto your Unity objects, allowing you to use sliders to control the variety of details based on how you set them up.

I think you can also buy pre-built "materials" such as 'Damaged Cement' to use within your unity scene, dragging those onto your objects and adjusting the setting that already come with that Substance. Does that sound right?

Can I just but individual Substances such as 'Damaged Cement' without having to buy Substance Designer 2? Is there anything else I need to get them to work within Unity?

B2M is a completely separate product, right? Does that also come with Substance Designer 2 if I purchased it?

12. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Another question; I was watching the video on your site and I see that he has Substance Designer open along with Unity. If he tweaks the parameters in Substance Designer, will they update in real-time within Unity, without hitting some sort of "refresh" button? What about vice versa, can we tweak the parameters inside Unity and it'll modify the Substance within Substance Designer? If not, what would happen if we tweak the Unity Substance and then tweaked the Substance in Designer? Will Designer over-right the Substance in Unity?

13. niosop2

niosop2

Unity supports substances, so you can just buy substances and use them in Unity, and tweak the exposed parameters, without buying Designer.

B2M is just a substance, although a fairly complex one. So you can use it by itself inside Unity without Designer.

Designer is only needed to create your own substances, or tweak ones that you purchased.

You can think of Designer as a visual, node based programming system. So you save the "source file" to work on (.sbsar), but when you want to export to something Unity can use you Publish it to a format usable by Unity (.sbs) , much like compiling source code. So changing the parameters inside Unity won't affect the Substance source at all. The parameters are just exposed variables used by the Substance engine to change the textures that are generated. In that way it acts much like exposed variables in UnityScript/C#. Changing the parameters doesn't modify the substance at all, it just passes different values to the Substance engine.

Hope that makes sense.

14. Ricko

Ricko

Can the shaders being used with substances be customized?

Thanks.

15. Jerc

Jerc

Substances are just textures. A default shader is generated to ease things for you, but you can use the substances with any custom shader you want.

16. Ricko

Ricko

Perfect. Makes sense. Thank you for the quick reply.

17. Jerc

Jerc

Substance Designer 2.5.1 is out now !
    Head over HERE for the release notes.
    and HERE for the download.

18. MentalFish

MentalFish

Darn it, I see I am late to the party. Any chance of getting an all-in-one bundle deal, both Substance Designer + Substance Database, without paying 2k USD ?

19. Jerc

Jerc

Please send us a message through the contact form and we will see what we can do.

20. Jerc

Jerc

Substance Designer 2.5.1 is now priced at $590 (instead of $990) for everyone !
    Head over HERE for the details.

21. Liatti

Liatti

Moreover, the discount for Unity Pro/iOS/Android users will be now of 20% on most of the Substance products:
    - Substance Designer 2.5.1 (makes it at 476$)
    - Bitmap2Material 1.6 (120$)

Just contact us to benefit from it!

Cheers,

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  22. TriplePAF

TriplePAF

I have filled in the forum request to get the discount but nobody is contacting me. The webpage www.allegorithmic.com seems also slow and not wel responding (tested form a few European Internet providers).

please help,

Peter.

23. NicolasLIATTI

NicolasLIATTI

24. NicolasLIATTI

NicolasLIATTI

Hi Peter,

Did you finally get my messages in MP?

Cheers,
    Nicolas

25. Jerc

Jerc

Hi all,

A quick message to inform you that the 20% discount on Substance Designer offered to Unity Pro/iOS/Android licensees will finally end on November 30th 2012. In the past 12 months, the Substance community has been growing at a fast pace thanks to you guys, and we think the coming features will make it even more relevant for Web and Mobile Unity developers.
    If you want to evaluate Substance Designer and take advantage of the discounted price before the offer expires, please send us a message via our contact form to get your coupon code.

As a reminder, the evaluation version can be found there: http://www.allegorithmic.com/products/substance-designer-3

Cheers :)