Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Substance Bitmap2Material

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Liatti, Aug 2, 2011.

1. smiljan66

smiljan66

Hello im in a IOS project i want to know if i can use Bitmap2material for IOS ?
    Please i appreciatte quick feedback i appreciatte it.

2. Jerc

Jerc

Yes, the Bitmap2Material outputs will be baked to bitmaps when you build your iOs app.

3. Breakmachine

Breakmachine

I'm getting some nasty error just making a material in a simple scene. What am I missing?

Actor::updateMassFromShapes: Compute mesh inertia tensor failed for one of the actor's mesh shapes! Please change mesh geometry or supply a tensor manually!

Assets/Bitmap2Material_Free_Version/Script/BatchApplySubstance.cs(2,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `UnityEditor' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

Assets/Bitmap2Material_Free_Version/Script/BatchApplySubstance.cs(26,33): warning CS0618: `UnityEditor.EditorGUI.ObjectField(UnityEngine.Rect, string, UnityEngine.Object, System.Type)' is obsolete: `Check the docs for the usage of the new parameter 'allowSceneObjects'.'

4. Jerc

Jerc

If you put the BatchApplySubstance script in your "Editor" folder in your Project hierarchy, it should work without any error, I just tried it to be sure.

5. chriscana

chriscana

Even with script in editor folder, getting warning:

Assets/Bitmap2Material_Free_Version/Script/BatchApplySubstance.cs(26,33): warning CS0618: `UnityEditor.EditorGUI.ObjectField(UnityEngine.Rec t, string, UnityEngine.Object, System.Type)' is obsolete: `Check the docs for the usage of the new parameter 'allowSceneObjects'.'

How to fix please?

6. Dreamora

Dreamora

thats no error, thats a warning related to the fact that Unity 3.5 added new functions and marked olders as obsolete.
    Thats nothing to worry as it will continue to work fine on 3.5.x or likely 3.x in general

7. lmbarns

lmbarns

8. foolish-frost

foolish-frost

Uh, I see the sale, but the newsletter said:

Neither price is what's being shown in the shop?

9. Dreamora

Dreamora

its the price set. if you are within the EU you will pay the equivalent price converted to EUR + the european enforced VAT which means that + ~22% basically as UT is within skandinavia with their not that small VAT

10. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

Blarg.... attempting to buy it but the Asset Store keeps kicking me out. :(

11. lmbarns

lmbarns

I just bought it and it just hangs at "purchasing" in Unity while I've had the confirmation of payment in my email for a while...

Paid through paypal, doesn't seem to communicate back to Unity after you make payment.......sigh

12. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

I managed to get throug an hour after my post. Was kicking me out with every pay option. I guess they got a bit congested with the sale.

Also snatched nGUI, hopefully it will speed up my next project significantly.

13. Jaimi

Jaimi

The newsletter is suffering from bad-cut-and-paste syndrome, with a little bit of no-proofreading on the side. It had me going for a bit, was going to buy it (50 is my "no brainer" cut off), but now I'm on the fence.

14. lmbarns

lmbarns

edit::tried to buy nGUI after noticing I can't buy 2d toolkit or a couple of the others because I'm 3.4.2f.......

Dang I've been eyeing 2d toolkit...but I'd love to save $20 if nGUI is similar. Can you combine draw calls on buttons with it(on mobile)? (all I care about is using it for menu/interface on mobile to get less draw calls than guiTexture/texts)

also:: regarding btmp2material, yesterday in Seattle I went to a meetup with 30+ people. Substances in general and bitmap2material were discussed a lot. Was pretty cool since it was a pretty even split between artists/programmers and everyone has a tablet or something to show what they're working on. Good stuff...the guy directly beside me won a free pro license.

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  15. Liatti

Liatti

Hi Jaimi,

We are also really sorry for the mistakes in the newsletter regarding B2M, even if it's not Allegorithmic's fault. The newsletter is written and sent by Unity, and we discovered those mistakes at the same time than you when we received it.

The original price of B2M is 150$, which makes it at 75$ during the Madness offer.

Cheers,
    Nicolas

16. Liatti

Liatti

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  17. CrazyMinnowMichael

CrazyMinnowMichael

I had the same question. I understand you answer, but is there a way to retain material customization on each material attached to an object? I tried the method you described, and it works to apply multiple materials, but how can I retain the ability to customize the multiple materials in real-time, with all the controls you provide?

Thanks, Mike

18. Jerc

Jerc

You would need to create instances of the B2M substance material for each object where you want different settings. You can create instances either by duplicating the B2M file or through the substance object inspector, with the little + icon on the top right.

19. CrazyMinnowMichael

CrazyMinnowMichael

That did it.....thank you!

20. Amon

Amon

How do I get my Update? I purchased from TurboSquid. On your forums you mention you would update the files on TurboSquid but as yet I don't see any change.

What do I need to do?

21. bravery

bravery

How can I add an emissive map to my generated material?

I have a texture that I used B2M to generate the normal map for, however as B2M can't generate emissive maps, I design it photoshop, but I do not know how to add my emissive texture (map) to my B2M generated material?

Any help?

Thanks in Advance.

22. Liatti

Liatti

Hi!

The update on Turbosquid was done yesterday.

Cheers,
    Nicolas

23. Madgeniy

Madgeniy

Hello. I have a trial version of B2M. There are some problems with my prefab in unity. It consists 2 surfaces. When I play my game in iOS, material doesn't append to one of this surfaces. What should I do?

24. Jerc

Jerc

We will investigate the issue and try to repro it, I'll keep you posted.

25. Jaimi

Jaimi

I purchased this and am very impressed with it. I would like to request a feature though - To save myself from jumping in and out of photoshop, perhaps in a future version you could add some simple image processing - adjusting the brightness/contrast of the texture? I'm aware that you can change the color on the material (though this can only make it darker), but this has no effect when you are using the substance for the terrain.

26. Jerc

Jerc

Glad you like it :)

Actually the image processing parameters were in the first versions of the B2M but we removed them due to an already high amount of parameters as it was messing up the 3ds Max integration. We will add them back in the next release though now that they are properly stored in separate rollouts.

27. Aurecon_Unity

Aurecon_Unity

I apologise if this has been answered already...

Am I locked to one 'host' program? For instance, if I buy B2M for use within Unity, do I only get the Unity interface? Or can I open B2M in the Substance Player and get full functionality there as well?

I ask because I currently work on both pre-rendered and realtime environments, so I need to be able to generate bitmaps (from Substance Player) for pre-rendered projects, as well as generate on the fly (from within Unity) for other realtime projects.

Thanks

EDIT: In case I'm not being quite clear, are there 4 different versions of B2M - Substance, Unity, Max Maya?

Or is there just one B2M.sbar that can be opened and run in any host program?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  28. Finjitzu

Finjitzu

Whenever I try and compile a build with the BatchApplySubstance script in my project I get an error and it won't build:

Code (csharp):
    1. error CS0246: The type of namespace name 'UnityEditor' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?
    I've tried moving this script into the Standard Assets/Editor folder, the Plugins folder etc...doesn't seem to work. The thing is it will play find in Unity till I try to build the project. Once that happens I can't play or build.

Great product otherwise getting some great visuals out of this. But I really need to get this solved. I could just remove this from my project I suppose, but it's a handy little script.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  29. lmbarns

lmbarns

Pull up the line of the error, I can't remember the specific cases but sometimes you have to prefix the variable/method with "UnityEditor.existingMethod" when you see that error. Dbl click the error to bring up your code, whatever is being called, add UnityEditor. <--period to the beginning of it to specify the namespace. I've had to do that with a few plugins, including this one.

30. Jerc

Jerc

When you buy B2M, the file can be opened and used in any software supporting substances, so yes, there is only one B2M.sbsar that you can use in all your softwares.

31. Aurecon_Unity

Aurecon_Unity

Thanks Jerc, much appreciated.

32. Finjitzu

Finjitzu

Sorry I'm confused, not familiar with C# where do I need to add it? It says the error is in line 3...

Edit:
    Modified the init to:

Code (csharp):
    1. UnityEditor.EditorWindow.GetWindow<BatchApplySubstance> (false, "Batch-Apply Substance");
    Seemed to work.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  33. Jaimi

Jaimi

Hi - any update on the new release with the image processing functionality? Still liking this - well worth the price. Wish I'd bought it earlier.

34. Mars91

Mars91

Hi,
    I have a "before to buy" question. Can B2M improve performances on mobile?

35. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

Last time I checked that was a negative. Instead of creating the different maps at runtime, it creates them when compiling for mobile.

36. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Picked this up the other day during a "half price" sale. This is simply one of the best investments I've made so far. It's cut my texture creation time in half or better and allows me to spend more time in unity rather than all those other apps I used to have to work with. My only complaint is that I cannot save / export my texture, bump, etc. maps with this plugin. For that I'd have to buy the $600 designer app. I really can't justify spending that much just to save out my bitmaps.

37. Jerc

Jerc

Actually you can save the outputs in Unity :)
    Hit the little cog wheel icon on the top right of the Bitmap2Material inspector and you will see an "Export bitmaps" item.

38. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

I was just about to edit my post to say that I found out how to export the bitmaps, but seems you beat me to it. That's awesome, this is really a fantastic tool. I spent all day yesterday importing my textures, playing with the settings and getting results that would have taken hours in photoshop et al. Two thumbs up! :}

39. Jaimi

Jaimi

Doesn't work for me in Unity 4. I submitted a bug report ages ago, and it was answered with "fixed in RC 2" and closed, but still doesn't work in the release version.

Gets this error:

Failed to generate bitmap from Substance
    UnityEditor.SubstanceImporter:ExportBitmaps(ProceduralMaterial)
    UnityEditor.ProceduralMaterialInspector:ExportBitmaps(MenuCommand)

[/Applications/buildAgent/work/812c4f5049264fad/Editor/Src/AssetPipeline/SubstanceImporter.cpp line 1872]
    (Filename: /Applications/buildAgent/work/812c4f5049264fad/Editor/Src/AssetPipeline/SubstanceImporter.cpp Line: 1872)

Updating Assets/Substances/roofing_007.sbsar - GUID: 9d77ab38c85407a4c90f858f9e0abe1d...
    done. [Time: 669.838623 ms]

Is there something that needs to be redone to make exporting work? I've tried several projects.

40. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

I wonder if someone can perhaps shed some light on what I may be doing wrong. I'm using Bitmap2Material with Unity Pro 3.5.6 and I'm using it to design/tweak my materials and then export them as textures/bumpmaps. I know I don't have to do it that way and can just leave the Substance materials natively in Unity, but I would prefer to use Unity native shaders if possible. So below is an example of the issue I'm running into. On the right is the Substances material and on the left is a material using the Unity bumped specular shader and textures exported using Bitmap2Material. I've set scaling and all the other settings as identically as I can but the two materials just don't look identical. Am I using the wrong shader or is there something else I can do to make them look the same?

$Substance vs exported textures.JPG

41. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

*BUMP*

Is this perhaps a bug in the exporter? Or just "operator error"? If the latter, can someone please enlighten me how to correct it? Thanks!

42. wccrawford

wccrawford

I'm not expert, but I'd say the one on the right was missing the normal map or bump map.

43. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Actually, the one on the -right- is the desired effect, but you're right it does look (at least from a distance) as though the bump is much less on the right. But in fact, they both have bumps, which you can see when you zoom in. I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps the texture exporter saves the bump maps with exaggerated bump heights rather than what is displayed in the editor.

44. kenshin

kenshin

45. NoBullIntentions_P

NoBullIntentions_P

@bigkahuna:

Have you made sure your normal map is being imported as a normal map? In the past it has slipped my mind.

Perhaps try disabling mipmaps? Unity's mipmap bias is pretty aggressive by default and could be using a much smaller mip than you would expect?

46. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Already checked all that, in fact I just went back to my test scene and confirmed that I've got everything set up correctly. It's definitely not exporting normal maps properly and I've submitted a bug report (and no response from anyone which is a little disappointing :( ). Unfortunately because it's exported as a normal map I don't have any way of reducing / scaling the normals so it looks correct. I might look to see if there's a plug in for Photoshop to do this (I seem to remember there being something).

I'd really like to export the textures because I'm finding that if I use the Substance materials in their native format there is a "pause" when the scene is first launched (to allow the textures to be generated) and since I'm not dynamically modifying the textures in the scene I really don't need that capability.

47. NicolasLIATTI

NicolasLIATTI

Hi all,

We just released Bitmap2Material 2.0, a new version of our lovely Bitmap2Material which was already adopted by thousands of Unity users.

Among the new features:
    - Huge improvement of several key algorithms such as Ambient Occlusion and Normal Map extractions, as well as light cancelling techniques, making B2M 2.0 by far the most advanced material extraction tool out there.
    - New controls over the diffuse map such as hue, contrast and saturation, directly within the substance, avoiding the need to exit B2M to go into an image processing tool.
    - Last but not least, now our versatile 15 Grunge Maps are included by default in the tool, to be combined in a parametric way with your Diffuse, Specular and Normal to instantly add rich details and realism to your material.

As a reminder, B2M allows you to generate full, high quality, seamless tiling materials (normal, height, specular, ambient occlusion) from any bitmap right within Unity.
    It is also a great and simple tool to make your games smaller: with B2M, you only embed the input photograph, Substance Engine then generates all the outputs at install or run time, leading to huge space savings!

You can view the full features here.

The package is available for $150, and we can provide an upgrade for $50 for people who bought B2M 1.x on the asset store. To do so, just send us by mail a proof of purchase (invoice, screenshot, etc.).
    PS: we cannot do an upgrade just via the asset store yet as this feature has not been implemented by Unity yet...

Of course, B2M 1.6 will remain on the store for people who would need to download it again.

Cheers!

48. StefanoCecere

StefanoCecere

Thank you Nicolas

i was indeed worried we had to buy it at full price!

glad you offer upgrade price for (reasonable) $50 !

thanksss

49. elias_t

elias_t

Yes good move for the upgrade offer!

Although Unity should add an upgrade option for products that will need it in the future, otherwise it gets messy for customers and for publishers.

50. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Does this new release fix the issue I reported a couple posts further up this thread? Is there an email address I can send my test project to to confirm it was fixed? Is there a demo version of B2M 2.0 I can try?

Although I was initially very impressed with this app I'm a bit disappointed that my repeated efforts to get help with the normal map bug have gone unanswered. If this product has no support and bugs aren't fixed, I really have a hard time recommending anyone else get it.