Search Unity

Subscriptions and Purchases

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CyberGolem, Aug 1, 2015.

?

Would applying subscription payments toward a purchase encourage you to subscribe?

1. No

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. Yes

8 vote(s)
    72.7%
  1. CyberGolem

CyberGolem

The following isn't entirely related to the poll, but I was hoping someone might have some insight to share about it:

I'm very close to subscribing or purchasing Pro and iOS. The leasing rate of $75 per month (per item) comes with a one year commitment. This is very fair, but I was wondering if at anytime during the subscription window if the ability to upgrade to a fully purchased version is possible without continuing the sub? In short, does an outright purchase nullify the subscription commitment?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  2. darkhog

darkhog

Yeah, I'd prefer sub model to work like buying something in monthly installments. If I'd pay $X every month and knowing that after I'll pay consecutively for X amount of months (say, 20) and get $1500 worth of total payments, then own full Pro license for the Unity Pro, that would get me to sub no problem. $1500 is just too much to dump in one sitting is what I'm telling. But monthly payments of $75 until $1500 is reached? Yeah, sure.

3. Ryiah

Ryiah

I voted yes, but at the same time this feels like a nonsense poll. Who is going to vote that being able to contribute towards a Unity Pro subscription wouldn't make the subscription more enticing?

4. CyberGolem

CyberGolem

Astute point, and I could just have written a personal email addressing this, but I'm not certain that every email gets read (in spite of claims that they always do). I simply viewed this as an opportunity to see if the idea warrants attention or not, and in the rare case, offer a suggestion that may have not yet been considered. Anyway, it can't hurt to simply ask and see where people stand on this. To note, there is a 'no' vote already ... bewildering but not unexpected :)
    Thanks for voting.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    Ryiah likes this.
  5. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

Allegorithmic has a monthly pay as you go plan (Substance Live) that goes to paying off your software. It might be a good way to get people to subscribe now that the personal edition is so good.

6. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

Its a sound idea, at least from the perspective of the consumer and indeed there are companies like Allegorithmic whom have already implemented such a scheme.

Sadly most companies simply go for subscription model, since its a more attractive business model overall for them and for which I don't think enabling ownership after equaling the cost of the software makes sense for them. For these companies once they have you subscribing that's it they have you paying in forever or at least until a competitor appears.

Ryiah likes this.
  7. landon912

landon912

Well, if you want Unity to be a financial institution, be ready to pay some form of interest. I think a fair deal would be if your sub total payments reach around 1,800 then you will gain a perpetual license. That would be two years of subscription.

8. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

There isn't an official approach for this. If at some point during your subscription you wanted to switch to a purchased version, then contact the sales team. I'd imagine they'd charge you $3000 for Pro plus iOS Pro, and then cancel your monthly $150 for subscription.

CyberGolem likes this.
  9. CyberGolem

CyberGolem

That would be great! Thanks Graham.