Search Unity

Subscription with free trial question

Discussion in 'Unity IAP' started by hansadler, Jul 23, 2019.

1. hansadler

hansadler

Hello,
    My understanding (for subscription IAP in both iOS and Android) is that if I create a subscription with a free 7-day trial period, then the user will be charged the first subscription fee at the end of the 7-day trial.

However, if the user has already used the 7-day free period, and they have cancelled or unsubscribed, then the 7-day free period is not available and, if they want to subscribe again, they will be charged the first subscription fee immediately upon resubscribing.

Is that correct? and Will the SubscriptionInfo.isFreeTrial() method allow me to detect if the 7-day free period is no longer available to the user? If not, how do I do that?

Thanks!

2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

How are you tracking your user purchases? The isFreeTrial only applies to the receipt on a product after it is purchased. But I suspect you want to be able to have button say "Free Trial, Click Here" or not, based on their previous activity? Otherwise, perhaps you should just allow the store to properly handle it?

3. hansadler

hansadler

I'm just starting to implement this. I was planning to track the purchase by adding fields to the userprofile object on my server for current subscription id and expire date (but please advise if you think I should change that).

So you're saying that the isFreeTrial does not indicate that a product offers a free trial? It only indicates that a purchased product is in its free trial period? Is that right?

My question is, is there any way to know if the user has already used the free trial period and will therefore not get a free trial period if they resubscribe?
    I would like my purchase button to say "Get Free Trial" if they have not used the free trial yet, or just "Subscribe" if they have already used the free trial.

Is there any way to do that?

4. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Got it, I will check.

5. hansadler

hansadler

Hello @JeffDUnity3D
    Did you find an answer for this?
    Thanks

6. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

No answer yet, will probably take a couple of weeks. Please post the results of your testing in the meantime.

7. aurelienpic

aurelienpic

Hello, I'm also interested in this question:

Any news on this?

8. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

So far we have not found a reliable way to expose this information. You would instead want to track and persist user purchases, many studios use a cloud save feature to track user purchases across devices. Inventory management is something we are looking at for a (much) future release. You could use PlayerPrefs but is often removed during reinstall https://stackoverflow.com/questions...renewable-subscriptions-during-the-free-trial

9. haruna9x

haruna9x

Hello @JeffDUnity3D Any news on this? Can I use SubscriptionInfo.getPurchaseDate() to check if a user is previously registered? Because we didn't design the cloud save system in the first place, there will be some users who do not receive correct subscription information.

10. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

I believe getPurchaseDate would only get the current purchase info. Sorry, I don't follow what you mean by designing the cloud save system.

11. efelatte

efelatte

Hey, It's been many years but I've been wondering if there's a feature added for this particular request?

How to tell if a user already used his&her free trial period for the specified product?

12. Arnaud_Gorain

Arnaud_Gorain

Unity Technologies

From here:

13. efelatte

efelatte

Got it, thank you very much.