Search Unity

SubScenes Conversion - No Collider or VFX Graph

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by Sonorpearl, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Sonorpearl

Sonorpearl

Hello lovely Unity-Community,

I´ve tried to implement Unity DOTS and Hybrid ECS in my project. So far most things worked in the end. Even if the way has been going through multiple topics and figuring out the newest problem. But the newest problem seems unsolvable or only solvable with a huge effort.

Recently I tried to use the new SubScene Tool and divided my scene appropriately.
    When I start the game the Collisions and the VFX Graphs are gone.
    I know it´s from the EntityCache Conversion from the SubScene Script or the process to convert to Entities in general.
    Is there really no way to use any kind of Hybrid System with ease?

My character still moves through a good old CharacterController and all Colliders are simple MeshColliders or even BoxColliders. (Can be replaced, if absolutely necessary)
    I could extract the VFX Graph Objects to the main scene (Which does not get converted) and fix the VFX Graph problem. But I can´t figure out an "easy" way to fix my current situation. ^^

I´ve tried looking into the new DOTS compatible Unity Physics Package, but I don´t see any way to migrate, without completely creating everything new.
    I wanted to use the new SubScene Tool since the old Scene is too slow. And the performance isn´t really good with the new HDRP and many objects without Unity DOTS.

One side note: The Scene performance is way better, but the Ingame Performance is actually about 50% worse with the current Conversion. Even though some systems are missing.

Any help is appreciated.

With friendly Regards
    Jan aka. Sonorpearl

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  2. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

We are working on making it easy to inject game object based components into a mostly hybrid scene.

You probably want to enable DOTS instancing & GPU instancing on the materials for HDRP.

Sonorpearl likes this.
  3. Sonorpearl

Sonorpearl

Hey @Joachim_Ante,

thanks for the answer. How do you enable DOTS instancing?
    And what is the best way to convert the scene currently? And do I need to replace the CharacterController?
    Thanks in advance.

With friendly Regards
    Jan aka. Sonorpearl