Search Unity

Feedback Submitting random crash Bug Reports feels pointless

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by dgoyette, Jun 13, 2019.

1. dgoyette

dgoyette

Unity tends to crash on me a couple of times per day. That doesn't particularly bother me; it's something I've gotten used to, and this rarely causes me more frustration than the 30 seconds it'll cost me reopening the project. There was a time when I felt it was important to report any crashes to Unity, so that they can investigate and hopefully resolve the issues. But I feel like doing so is basically pointless given the feedback I've received from Unity's support team on this.

When I've submitted crash bugs, I'll include the crash dump that Unity creates, and I'll explain it was a one-off random crash which I can't reproduce. Invariably, I'll receive a follow-up from support telling me they can't reproduce the crash, and they want to know if I can reproduce it, otherwise they can't do much. And I have to reply, "No, like I said, I can't reproduce this. It's a random crash." And it feels like someone just resolves the issue "Can't Reproduce" and life moves on.

So I'd like to know whether submitting random crashes has actual value? Should I bother?

If crashes are important, it seems that Unity could easily do a much better job on this front with some automatic crash reporting. Right now, I need to submit a bug report, and go find the crash dump, and attach it. This feels like the sort of thing the crash handler should be doing automatically. Submitting a bug report is also questionable, since it's typically impractical to attach the entire project (several GB in size), and Unity deprioritizes bug reports that don't have sample projects attached.

So what should we do? Could you folks make it easier to submit crash reports automatically, and understand that for crashes, it's highly likely the user has no idea what caused the crash?