Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Subdividing/smoothing (rounding) an already animated/rigged 3d model?

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by unitedone3D, Dec 11, 2021.

1. unitedone3D

unitedone3D

Hi there!

Does anyone know of any tool/technique/assets (I only found like 1-2 that subdivide the polygon count (and smoothing/rounding (like meshsmooth/turbosmooth/opensubdivision (catmull-clark subdiv)) an
    already rigged/animated model (like say a bought character human/animated asset with the rig/animation and everything already made);

-So far found that you could transfer the 'vertex weights' to another model (one that would have more resolution and would keep the skinned mesh animated vertex data)...there is 1-2 assets that transfer vertex skinning...to another model..(skin/animation data remapping to new model that is just the low model but subdivided in polygon count)

-Using meshsmooth/subdivision in Blender - it destroys the vertex data from the lower-res animated model...

-Using a smooth/relaxing modifier (that rounds the model..but does not add any polygon subdivision...)

-At the least, just any rounding/smoothing script/tool that 'softens/relaxes/rounds' the hard edges/3d shape?

Thank you for any help.

2. kdgalla

kdgalla

If you can import the model into Blender, I'm pretty sure that the Blender's subsurface modifier will work while preserving the vertex weights. It uses catmull-clark. You can also mark edges where you want to preserve the angle, so that your model doesn't go all pillowy like if you just subdivided everything.

The draw-back will be that there might be some funny business when go to export the modified FBX. I recommend this plugin when exporting again:
    https://github.com/EdyJ/blender-to-unity-fbx-exporter
    The plugin seems to export a file with correct transforms at the top level.

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  3. unitedone3D

unitedone3D

Thank you very much!