Search Unity

Sub-state machines don't blend animations at all

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Runetass, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Runetass

Runetass

Hi.
    I'm in Unity 5, and I'm starting to look for good ways to organize animation logic. I've found that using only states and layers is unbearable, since transitions cross in every possible direction and it becomes a laughable mess. However, the reason why I must do this is because sub-state machines don't seem to provide any animation blending for me, tested on several different projects.

The way I'd prefer it would be to have transitions from states to sub-state machines, and/or from sub-state machines to other sub-state machines, using the entry and exit nodes to make it manageable. I have also tried going to the specific states within the sub-state machines, but I've had nasty bugs where it in certain cases skips animation blending there as well. I've submitted a bug report for that anyway.

But is it supposed to be this way? It has made me give up on animator and start looking into scripting the whole animation logic instead.

Offtopic: Also one of the major demotivators for Animator is the cluster of parameters that I'm not allowed to organize in any fashion besides vertical rearrangement. It becomes many, eventually, in animation driven games.

2. Runetass

Runetass

TLDR: Transition from sub-state machine to another sub-state machine (not to animations within) = no animation blending.

Anyone else with this issue?

3. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

I've had this issue still in 2019.1. It only seems to affect animators using "generic" clips, once I switched to "human" it worked perfectly. Still a bad bug imo, generic clips support seems flimsy to say the least - blending doesn't work in all cases, you can't see the transitions progress bar.. maybe we should stick to the Animation component for those.