Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Stylized Water Shader - Desktop/Mobile/VR [Built-in RP]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by StaggartCreations, Sep 8, 2016.

1. brisingre

brisingre

2. Ryry36

Ryry36

Hi I just purchased this and its great! I have a couple problems however. The first one is the same as brisingre is having. It only happens with the old shader and using the BETA one fixes that problem. My main issue is that when my camera is looking up and moving slowly everything flickers/disappears. It only happens when the camera is moving slowly. And It also only happens when I have the water object in my scene. So its definitely something to do with the water. Also when I hit apply all settings in the Stylized water Beta script it stops flickering until I exit play mode again. Very weird!

edit: Disabling reflections fixed this for me

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  3. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Thanks for the video, I found the culprit. I changed the screen coordinate to be sampled on a per-vertex basis, to squeeze out some more performance. When a vertex falls outside of view, the information cannot be access. This is why the streaking is most noticeable when the camera is up close, because there are only a few vertices in view. Makes sense really, unfortunately I didn't notice this effect before :oops:

I have corrected it, so I'll submit an update today.

Do you mean objects in the reflection flicker/disappear, or in the scene? Previously this was related to Occlusion Culling, which was fixed in last update. So I'm curious about reproducing this issue. Could you provide more details about the set up of your scene?

4. Ryry36

Ryry36

Here's a quick video of what happens. I'm using Lighting Box 2 from the asset store maybe that could be something that's causing it?

Also is there an underwater effect in this asset? When my player looks at the water from below it, it is invisible. What would be the best way to fix this? I'm very new to Unity sorry.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  5. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Ah, I see now, thanks for the video! No cause comes to mind at the moment, I will try out if I can find any issue with Lighting Box and get back to you.

Usually what most games (eg Skyrim) do is to trigger different post effect settings when the camera is underneath the water surface. Like denser fog, or different color grading. And switch back when the camera is above the water again.

The water is single-sided as this fits most use cases. A way around this is to duplicate your water mesh and flip it 180 degrees. I'd recommend using a separate material for the "upside down water" and have it look more clear/transparent, purely for aesthetics.

6. Ryry36

Ryry36

Okay, thanks for the quick reply. I'm not planning on using the reflections, so don't worry about it to much.

I had to reimport the asset and now I'm getting a couple errors/warnings. I'm using the BETA Shader. Here they are copy and pasted:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UnityEditor.EditorStyles.get_miniButtonLeft () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/EditorStyles.cs:72)
    SWS_BETA.StylizedWaterInspectorBETA.SetStyling () (at Assets/StylizedWaterBETA/StylizedWaterInspector_BETA.cs:1017)
    SWS_BETA.StylizedWaterInspectorBETA.OnEnable () (at Assets/StylizedWaterBETA/StylizedWaterInspector_BETA.cs:163)

Could not create a custom UI for the shader 'StylizedWater/BETA/Desktop'. The shader has the following: 'CustomEditor = ASEMaterialInspector'. Does the custom editor specified include its namespace? And does the class either derive from ShaderGUI or MaterialEditor?
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  7. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

The error usually occurs when you recompile the script with the inspector open. But I believe I know how to fix this occurrence.

The latter should be a warning only, since you do not have Amplify Shader Editor installed. I will remove the custom inspector from the shader, so that won't be a problem.

8. brisingre

brisingre

I spent today tracking down a bug that turned out to be caused by an old version of Stylized Water Shader. As far as I'm aware it's fixed in the newest version, but it's severe enough that I'm going to bring it up anyway, for two reasons. One is that you might not know about it, even though it's seemingly fixed. The other is that it does some lasting damage that might be affecting other people's projects. If you're having spooky problems or especially if you're having spooky problems and are an Odin user, this might be you.

Essentially, the code in StylizedWater.cs that flags the new textures as normal maps and other textures as default was being run on every single texture in the project, preventing you from setting import settings normally. This set a lot of things that shouldn't be default import settings, like sprites, to default, including the sprites Odin uses in its editors. This caused Odin to choke up and die, which broke everything. So I'm sharing my experience here, in case it helps anyone.

9. jmarcos007

jmarcos007

Can I get the at real time the heigth of the wave at a specific point? Wave 'y' heigth at (x,z) coord?

10. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

This is correct! At some point the compression settings for the textures were applied to any new texture imported into the project (changing properties also re-imports a texture). That is quite severe, once I was made aware of it, I immediately submitted a fix, which was fortunately approved rather quickly (version 1.30b).

There were a lot of script changes in that update, so unfortunately it went went right past my head :oops:

Since the height of the waves is determined through the shader, there is unfortunately no way to query the wave height through script. I have no plans to implement buoyancy support or any water physics as the package is not aimed at offering a water simulation solution ;)

brisingre likes this.
  11. theLittleSettler

theLittleSettler

@jmarcos007 @Jonny10 As a simple temporary solution, you could make a copy of the shader and output y in the fragment function to rgb. Then use an orthographic camera from above with a render texture. Not ideal but trivial to do with a little shader knowledge. You can then sample that texture.

That shader would be applied to a copy of the water on a separate layer, which would not be rendered by the main camera (and likewise the camera rendering it would only render it) using the cameras' culling mask.

Otherwise...well, eventually I might convert your shader's vertex function to c# anyway (well, the bits that affect position) so I can use that with whatever buoyancy I happen to use/implement. Since this is all on a plane, that would also be simple (but a bit more time consuming).

12. MechaWolf99

MechaWolf99

I just got this a bit ago and have been messing around with it. I am quite impressed so far. But I did have a question.
    I have been trying to make a river with the beta version. And it works okay, but was wondering if it is possible to have the Surface highlights texture moving in a direction?

13. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

It is possible, but would require a small modification to the shader. You can do this by taking the following steps:

- Open up the .shader file in a code editor
    - Navigate to line 152, which reads:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.             float4 tex2DNode66 = tex2D( _Shadermap, ( ( ( Tiling21 * 0.5 ) + temp_output_609_0) * _SurfaceHightlighttiling ) );
    Change this to:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.             float4 tex2DNode66 = tex2D( _Shadermap, ( ( ( Tiling21 * 0.5 ) + temp_output_609_0 + (WaveSpeed40*10) ) * _SurfaceHightlighttiling ) );
    - Navigate to line 154:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.             float4 tex2DNode67 = tex2D( _Shadermap, ( _SurfaceHightlighttiling * ( Tiling21 + -temp_output_609_0) ) );
    Change this to:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.             float4 tex2DNode67 = tex2D( _Shadermap, ( _SurfaceHightlighttiling * ( Tiling21 + -temp_output_609_0 + (WaveSpeed40*10) ) ) );
    This adds the wave speed parameter to the two surface highlight layers, which will have them move in the wave direction.

If you're uncertain about making these modifications I'd be happy to send you the modified file, just let me know ;)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  14. MechaWolf99

MechaWolf99

Okay, thank you! I Was just going to do it my self, but line 154 is a bit different, and line 512 is:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. WireConnection;45;1;341;0
    Which is a lot different :p
    As I have work very very little with shaders before I think I would prefer if you could send me the edited file if you don't mind. Thanks. :)

15. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Oh, my bad, i meant line 152 :oops:

I'll DM you the file ;)

16. conradsly

conradsly

Hi there, for some reason the desktop shader appears as black for me, but the mobile version is working. Any thoughts on why this is happening? I'm working on a mac.

EDIT: it seems that when I had the Enable Metal Editor Support checked on, the desktop shader doesn't work. Is this intended?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  17. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Coincidentally, I'm picking up a Macbook tonight for testing this, and other assets on OSX.

So in the next few days be able to properly pick at everything and see what's what ;)

DMeville and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  18. DMeville

DMeville

Was having some issues with an older version on OSX, so decided to upgrade. Love the look of the beta desktop shader, but unfortunately it seems like it still has some issues on OSX. Getting a pink material, selecting the shader in the inspector shows "shader not supported on this gpu"

Hopefully it's not too difficult to get sorted out :)

Edit: Not very familiar with shader code, but was poking around a bit. Commenting out the "#include "Tessellation.cginc", removing the tessellation bit from the end of line 58, and changing #pragma target 4.6 to 4.4 seems to at least fix it from being pink.

Not sure if tessellation is support on OSX builds still, which is lame but at least this is a temporary fix that works for me (eg, no pink!) Doesn't seem like scrolling surface details works correctly with this fix either, not sure why. Are they tied to how tessellation works?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  19. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I didn't script any such message, so that makes me wonder haha.

Are you using Unity 2017.3 by any chance? Some one tested the beta shader in that version on OSX and reported the same thing. Granted I haven't touched 2017.3 yet so I'll have to check it out.

It's very likely it doesn't work because it uses tessellation (which is DirectX only). I will have to make a non-tessellated variant no doubt.

Next week I'm going to prepare an update which addresses these issues. I've also noticed the "Normal strength" parameter in the beta shader doesn't work correctly, but I have already fixed it.

Will have to start testing the mobile beta shader too. Once that's solid I'll be closer to version 2 of the package, in which the "beta" shaders will become the standard.

20. DMeville

DMeville

Yeah, it seems like it's because of tessellation (see my edit). I am on 2017.3. Thanks!

21. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Some updates for version 1.32:

I've included the Beta shader in the package by default, it doesn't require the "StylizedWater_BETA" script anymore, you can now pick the shader from the dropdown menu. This also increases the minimum supported version to Unity 5.4. Last June only about 8% of all user still used Unity 5.3, so I'm confident in making this change now.

In 2017.3 on PC and macOS everything seems to work correctly. I applied a fix for macOS where the Desktop shader didn't compile in a build.

The Beta shader fortunately works on macOS with tessellation, it just doesn't do anything, which is a lot better than turning invisible or pink :p

It could be because I'm on macOS Sierra (so older 32-bit Unity versions work). So I'll have to create a separate install with High Sierra and see if that makes any difference.

Edit: No differences in High Sierra (64-bit) with Metal and OpenGL

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  22. MechaWolf99

MechaWolf99

This is probably a long shot at best. But I figure it can't hurt to ask. I was wondering if there is any chance of getting some sort of compatibility/support for the R.A.M - River Auto Material asset? Maybe in the form of a preset or two. Idk if it is even really viable to do. But figured I may as well ask. Either way, keep up the great work! :D

23. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I don't think that's entirely possible, since it's a very different shader. But I believe you could use the spline tool to create a river mesh, and use the stylized water shader on it. If you make sure "World-space tiling" is disabled, the water will appear to flow in the direction of the spline ;)

24. MechaWolf99

MechaWolf99

Oooh! That does exactly what I wanted it to do! Thank you so much! :D

25. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Currently, this asset is not compatible with 2018.1, since native support for Substance materials has been deprecated.

More info on that: https://forum.unity.com/threads/an-update-on-substance-format-support-in-unity.509408/

I believe by the time 2018.1 releases, a free plugin will be available on the Asset Store. Once it is, I'll be able to build in error catching and warnings, if the plugin isn't preset in your project.

Personally, I'd prefer no package to be dependent on another download. So I'd like to explore the possibility of rebuilding the texture customization in a way that it doesn't require Substance.

26. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

yea I feel unity misses out now that they make substance an optional third party asset, being integrated was great so you can rely on customers having this installed, now its a messy situation that they did not think hard enough about how to handle it.

StaggartCreations likes this.
  27. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

A little later than intended, but I've submitted the next update:

v1.40
    Changed:
    - Minimum supported Unity version is now 5.4
    - Beta shader is now incorperated into the package by default
    - Surface highlights can now also be darkened (useful for lava)

Fixed:
    - (Beta) Incorrect behaviour when Normal Strength is set to 0
    - Desktop shader not compiling on macOS

Removed:
    - (Beta) Default ASE shader inspector, as it throws a warning when ASE is not installed

If you're using the Beta shader, removed the "StylizedWater_BETA" component, and add the regular "StylizedWater" component. The settings, except for the intersection and wave styles, are saved in the material, so these should be retained ;)

brisingre and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  28. NicBischoff

NicBischoff

Hey there. You mentioned ortho support on the beta. Is this available yet?

29. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

It's currently not possible to use an orthographic camera, as the depth information would be lost.

I did manage to get it to work by rendering a depth texture from a separate camera, with a modified depth shader. But it's too hacky, and it requires to render all geometry essentially twice, doubling the drawcalls.

I know how to implement this outside of Shader Forge or Amplify Shader Editor. Perhaps it's a good idea if I request orthographic depth support for ASE ;)

30. MaximilianPs

MaximilianPs

Hello there,
    I need to create some rivers and waterfall, I also have R.A.M - River Auto Material.
    I try to combine your shader with RAM but the water didn't flow as expected (obviously).
    And if I use R.A.M. shade the difference between sea and river is too noticeable.

Any advice? :confused:

31. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

The desktop beta shader has the ability to control the wave flow direction. Under the "Waves" tab, if you set the X-direction to 0, and the Z direction to 1, the water will follow the direction of the RAM spline.

You have to disable "World-space tiling" though, otherwise the water doesn't use mesh UV's.

RAM is a very different shader, so it goes without saying it looks different too. Perhaps with the above steps you'll be able to use the SWS shader for your rivers. Though it'll be missing the fast flowing water and foam on steep parts.

I'm going to be making a river shader for another project in the coming months, for which I'll be making the same functionality. Once I've figured it out, I can look into adding it to the SWS shader, but I'll have to be careful not to technically over complicate the shader ;)

SirTwistedStorm likes this.
  32. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I've refactored a lot of the code and managed to replace the Substance functionality with a custom GPU-based solution. The native Substance plugin worked on the CPU, so the editor is also a lot faster in comparison now! Fortunately, all of the customization options have been retained.

This makes the package compatible with Unity 2018.1 and future releases, without the need for the upcoming Substance plugin. I'll be able to submit this update next week.

I will increase the price point to $15 in the near future. Since this package is over a 1,5 years old, and has seen a lot of improvements since.

In the update following the next, the current desktop shaders will be removed. The "Beta" version will replaces these, finalizing its 6-month safety phase.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  33. MaximilianPs

MaximilianPs

And that's a really cool news ... I'll wait for it, you can be sure !
    Thank you :D

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  34. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Submitted version 1.50:

Replaced Substance functionality, textures are now generated on the GPU.
    Customization options have been retained, so the changes are purely internal.

Material and prefab settings will not be affected.

Added:
    - Reflection Fresnel parameter
    - Toggle for hiding the material inspector

Fixed:
    - Normal Strength and Glossiness correlation

Removed:
    - Random seed functionality

Updating
    I recommend deleting all the files before updating. If you have any of your own prefabs or materials in the /StylizedWater folder, move them out of it.

It's not entirely necessary! But when you update, you will receive the following error:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Assets/StylizedWater/Scripts/StylizedWaterInspector.cs(19,5): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `StylizedWater' could not be found. Are you missing `SWS' using directive?
    Simply remove the file.

The StylizedWaterInspector script file was moved to another folder. Unity packages don't handle moving of files well.

Unity 2018.1
    With Substance removed, the package will be able to function without the upcoming Substance plugin in 2018.1+.

The current Desktop shaders will throw an error in this version. In the next version, these will be removed, so that will be the officially compatible version.

35. MaximilianPs

MaximilianPs

36. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Judging by the stretching on the vertical surfaces, you have the "World-space tiling" checkbox enabled.

For a waterfall this would be the desired effect. But with this option enabled, the shader won't follow the spline mesh's UV's. If you disable it, the water will flow along the spline, as long as you set the X-direction to 0, and the Z direction to 1 in the Waves tab.

The surface highlights currently don't follow the water flow direction. But this request was placed earlier so I'll add this for next update. If you don't feel like waiting, I've outlined the steps you can take to make this change yourself here: #post-3341648

MaximilianPs likes this.
  37. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Preview of the new demo scene for the next update. Because the current one is garbage :p

Will include a tree and a set of rocks.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  38. MaximilianPs

MaximilianPs

I'll wait for the update about the river flow ;)
    Thank you btw.

39. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Much requested and long overdue, but I've been doing some successful tests with support for orthographic cameras!

(This is the newly included "Lake" demo scene)

Looking into adding the same functionality to the mobile shaders today, by modifying Shader Forge to do my bidding :p
    EDIT: Nope, that won't work, I'll be redoing the mobile shaders in ASE instead.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    Shodan0101, brisingre, Scifa and 2 others like this.
  40. MaximilianPs

MaximilianPs

I really like the waterfall inside the Fantasy Adventure Environment package, I was wondering if we can reach something like that textures, with water shader, something like RAM where the foam increase when the meshes become vertical.

41. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I have this on my todo list ;) Currently working on preparing version 2 of the package, I'll have the changelog up this weekend. After which I'm ready to look into it, time permitting.

I plan to try and show both the intersection and surface highlight on steep surfaces, and stretch the waves out, depending on the angle. I imagine that will look right, but I'll have to see and go from there!

On another note, I've added a palm tree to the island demo scene. I should note, these models are not the focus of the package, they are simply a bonus.

MaximilianPs likes this.
  42. MaximilianPs

MaximilianPs

Let me add another request, which maybe make sense: "trails" :D

Also I would like to advise you to keep it "hand-painted" cartoonish 'cause I notice that when you start adding detail on handpainted things, they tende to become a sorto of "Like real".

43. Aherys

Aherys

Got at runtime this error : "Assertion failed: Assertion failed on expression: 'kValidSceneObjectIdentifier == res'

New scene, fresh import, unity 2017.3.1f1
    I just drop the prefab in the scene.

Any solution ? Thanks !

44. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Haven't seen this error before. My searches suggest it's a Unity bug related to the preview window and prefabs, so I wouldn't know what the solution is unfortunately. Have not managed to replicate the error in a fresh 2017.3.1 project.

45. Aherys

Aherys

Hum, probably a miss use from my part.
    Will come back to you when i gather more info on the topic.

46. holdingjason

holdingjason

Hi great shader btw. One issue I am having is making objects in the water ie fish or something floating like the barrel in your test scene semi-transparent. How would I go about having a semi-transparent object ie like your barrel work?

Thanks.

47. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Transparency is tricky because of how Unity sorts and renders transparent objects. For one, because transparent objects do not write to the depth buffer, the water can't create the intersection effect. You may also find that the part of the transparent object which is submerged is not visible, because the object is drawn first, before the water is.

You can find a more detail description of the phenomenon here: https://answers.unity.com/questions/609021/how-to-fix-transparent-rendering-problem.html

48. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I'm adding a toggle to use vertex colors for the intersection, as seen here:

This may be useful if you'd like to exert more control over the effect, and only show it where desired. The effect would also be visible behind the object, which is not possible with the depth-based solution.

I have a bunch more features and improvements in the barrel, I'll be posting a detailed change log for version 2.0.0 sometime this month.

brisingre likes this.
  49. holdingjason

holdingjason

>>> You may also find that the part of the transparent object which is submerged is not visible, because the object is drawn first, before the water is.

Yep that is exactly what I am seeing and of course if I modify the rendering order to go before water now the object just is drawn on top of the water which is also not correct. What I would want is basically the object to work as it is but just show up less visible then normal. The real world issue which maybe you can come up with a workaround idea for is that I have fish that I want to kind of fade in fade out while moving into an area.

Thanks

50. holdingjason

holdingjason

Different question. Do you have some suggestions on filtering out certain objects (again fish) from showing intersection on or near the surface. Love the look on rocks and shore and certain other objects but smaller objects it kind of makes them difficult to see. Messing with the shader myself but thought you might be able to point me correctly.

Thanks again.