Search Unity

Stylized Water 2 [URP] ☑️ Desktop/Mobile/Consoles/VR

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by StaggartCreations, Nov 3, 2020.

1. ray_ervi

ray_ervi

Hi! seems that the integration with Atmospheric Height Fog is currently broken, as when I imported AHF (latest available version) and set the integration to AHF, the water turns pink and throwing an error message: Shader error in 'Stylized Water 2/Standard': redefinition of 'AHF_Enabled' at Assets/StylizedWater2/Shaders/Libraries/Fog.hlsl(18) (on d3d11)

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

That's certainly possible. The integration required incorporating "AHF_Enabled", the error suggests this is now already done elsewhere in the AHF asset and thus must be removed from the SW2 shader library. I've submitted an update with a quick fix (v1.6.1), which should be available soon.

3. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Version 1.6.1 was submitted!

Fixed:
    - DWP2 integration, water level being fixed to a value of 0 in some cases.
    - Atmospheric Height Fog integration, shader error when using latest version (v3.2.0+)

4. KeithBrown

KeithBrown

When I add the StylizedWater2_River material to my water plane nothing shows up. Everything appears to be transparent. The river demo scene everything works fine so I know that the issue is on my end but I am having a difficult time figuring it out. Any ideas on what I can check?

** EDIT ** I unchecked the vertex color depth (G) under the Color section and finally the shader appeared to be working somewhat. I think I just need to massage the UVs and play with other settings now

Last edited: Jan 22, 2024
  5. ray_ervi

ray_ervi

Hi! Thanks for the quick fix, seems that the shader can compile without errors now, but it does seem that it doesn't work as intended.

With Unity Fog integration (and unity fog on, AHF off) - this looks correct where the water is opaque:

With AHF on + Stylized Water integration on, unity fog off:

With AHF on, stylized water integration set to none, unity fog off:

Here's a comparison between unity fog and AHF, as you can see, the water doesn't look as intended and became see through completely with AHF on, which looks the same if I turn off the AHF integration. Any idea?

6. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

That is indeed what causes this typically. A mesh, especially one imported, may be filled with a White vertex color. This fills the opacity channel, making the mesh appear completely transparent.

What may be necessary is to adjust the render queue of the water material (+1 or +2). AHF's fog sphere is probably on 3000, which other transparent materials are as well (including water). You'd effectively want the water to render on top of the fog at all times.

7. ml785

ml785

For Underwater Rendering, is there a way to make the waterline follow Mesh Deformations rather than shader waves? I'm experimenting with creating waves by deforming the mesh (CPU deformations) rather than using the Waves shader feature, and was just curious if there was actually some way to make the waterline line up with the mesh deformations on the water plane instead. If that makes sense.

8. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I'm afraid not. The water line geometry is entirely GPU based, both the positioning and displacement of the vertices is done through a vertex shader. On the CPU side it is merely a static mesh.

ml785 likes this.
  9. erikherbert

erikherbert

Hi, as soon as you install the Underwater Renderer I have steps in the colors. Is there a way to smooth this out? It looks a bit like artifacts.

Attached Files:

10. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Color banding can be a normal result of low-precision rendering. Enabling HDR in URP, and/or Dithering on the Camera can be used to resolve or elevate these sort of artefacts.

11. mindmasher

mindmasher

Hi, just got this resource and in the most basic test there is a super strange visual artifact where it intersects my terrain. I tried searching his thread and I noticed some other people complaining of artifacts in a top-down view while moving the camera around (it happens when I raise or lower the camera too). Is this something that you can help me with? See attached video.

12. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

It appears that the depth texture that is being bound (and thus also read by shaders, including the water) is one frame behind. This is either has to be caused by a third-party rendering effect mucking it up, or a bug in URP. Why and how I can't be certain of I'm afraid.

13. afavar

afavar

Hello, is there any suggested way to handle transition between materials and wave params so that I can switch to a stormy waves from a calm ocean?

14. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I believe it should be possible to blend between two materials completely through Material.Lerp in a script. But you can always modify a material parameter at runtime through Material.SetFloat("_ParamName", value). You can find the name of all the parameters by selecting the shader file, or opening it in your IDE. They all start with an underscore (_).

15. hiddenbit3000

hiddenbit3000

Hey,

love the style of the water and also the underwater effect and the overall easy setup.
    My goal is to make some kind of underwater submarine game (first person view) where there is a submarine with a window. I want to be able to look outside that window from inside and the other way around. Is that possible with this water / underwater system? I tried with the "WaterTransparencyMask" material but it doesn´t seem to fulfill my needs.It doesn´t cutout the underwater effect inside the submarine and also it doesn´t work when i´m inside the cutout object / submarine. Any tips how to achieve that effect i´m looking for?

Regards
    Philipp

upload_2024-2-7_23-11-24.png

upload_2024-2-7_23-12-9.png

upload_2024-2-7_23-15-11.png

16. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

This is a particular use case that's not technically possible I'm afraid (also noted on the store page).

17. afavar

afavar

Thank you for your swift reply. Unfortunately, Material.Lerp did mess up both of the materials paramaters. I will try modifying the parameters in runtime.

Apart from that, I am using Netcode for Gameobjects as my networking solution. I am trying to sync the waves using the following method:

Code (CSharp):
    1. private void Update()
    2. {
    3.     WaterObject.CustomTime = NetworkManager.Singleton.LocalTime.TimeAsFloat;
    4. }
    This works above the water but underwater acts weird. Caustics and distortion goes crazy fast like as it is fast forwarded. Am I doing something wrong?

18. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I suppose I could have figured that wouldn't work entirely as expected. Some parameters such as speed/tiling don't lend themselves to realtime adjustments, so lerping would induce some unwanted side effects. It's probably best to lerp specific parameters, namely the wave height (and normal strength to match).

What you're encountering with the CustomTime API is definitly a bug, I can see the same thing happening. I had previously tested this using a fixed value, animated by hand, if I plug in Time.time I can see how this went belly up.

Apparently the configurable animation speed for the distortion and caustics isn't factored in when a custom time is used, that's a straightforward fix. I'll be sure to submit a hotfix early next week!

19. afavar

afavar

That was quite fast! Thank you for the clarification, I will be looking forward to it.

20. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I've submitted the update (v1.2.2) that includes the necessary corrections. Using a custom animation time, such as for networked applications will now work as expected. Thanks for bringing this to my attention, I would have likely not noticed for a long time otherwise.

21. afavar

afavar

That is great, waiting for the update to be live!

22. Lacafaca

Lacafaca

Hi!

What could be the reason, I place the Ocean prefab in the scene, in scene mode everything is fine, but when I start the game, it immediately turns brown, only the ripples are visible. All other Prefab is fine.

23. afavar

afavar

Ah my mistake, I was looking at the main asset. :D I have updated the under water asset and it looks perfect rn.

One thing I can't figure out is the jittery motion when I set the custom time in the update method. Any idea what might be the issue? I just set the custom time to Network Time like below:

Code (CSharp):
    1. private void Update()
    2. {
    3.     WaterObject.CustomTime = NetworkManager.Singleton.LocalTime.TimeAsFloat;
    4. }
    The wave movement and the objects with Align Transfrom component becomes jittery when I do so.

24. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Brown is a very specific color. For the shader, there's no difference between Edit & Play mode in the editor in terms of rendering. So if I'd have to speculate, a script in your project executes some logic that changes something.

Jittering, in regards to animations, typically means you're running into floating point rounding errors. It's possible to induce this when passing in a really high value for the time index (>10k).

It's best to limit the value you pass into CustomTime to never exceed ~5000, and reset it back to 0 when it does. Or reset it to 0 at a strategic moment where it won't be noticeable.

25. afavar

afavar

Thank you for the suggestion, I had a look at the NetworkManager.Singleton.LocalTime.TimeAsFloat and is starts from 0. Waves seem to look fine but a boat with "Align Transform To Waves" component does a jitterry movement. It works smoothly when there is no custom time is provided though.

26. unity_DD9723B5891F88A137AF

unity_DD9723B5891F88A137AF

Hi! There is a problem with showing water both in the Unity Editor and in the build on the phone. When i move camera water is glitching but when camera is static water is fine.
    Unity version is 2022.3.14 and according to the documentation it should be suitable. I also tried 2022.2.15 but same result. I cant move to 2021 unity because project will broke. So maybe you can help me with version number of 2022 unity that work fine with this water? thanks

27. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Strange, the shader and wave API are both different domains, but the calculations are mirrored and use the same time index. I'm using this script to test a custom time inputs where I'm unfortunately not seeing anything out of the ordinary.

If you could share a video, or better yet a reproduction project, that'd be most helpful as to remove guesswork.

28. gamextar

gamextar

Hi staggart, we wonder if it would be possible to have special effects visible under the water plane. I mean particles or any other fx. this is for a top down game, we never go underwater ( although we have the extension) so then only view is from above the water plane. It would be great if we could add some bubbles or any other effect as we use clear water material. Many thanks

29. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

That's certainly possible!

Because both the water material and the particles are transparent, transparency sorting comes into play. There's a detailed explanation about this here (1st item).

You'd want your particles to render on the 2999 render queue, which puts it behind every other transparent material (3000).

30. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Excited to announce the release of a new asset!

This tool can be used with Stylized Water 2, as both of them mediate effects through vertex colors. The river tool can procedurally assign them to draw foam on the river surface.

Asset store link

A waterfall and lake mesh tool is still under development, but set to release this year as well.

31. cydashnine

cydashnine

Hello Starggart, I was getting strange translucency behavior that would change based on the point light processing order. I tracked it down to a possible bug in the ApplyLighting point light loop where ApplyTranslucency is repeatedly called and the strength and exponent values in translucencyData are modified by each point light but re-used for the next iteration of the loop. Keeping a copy of the original values from the translucencyData and using those instead seems to fix the issue for me. I'm on 1.5.5 but didn't notice this mentioned in the latest release notes. Thanks for your great work on this asset

32. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Excellent, thanks for the headsup! That does indeed sound like an oversight. I've made a note of this to correct this in a future update :)

33. Chebn

Chebn

Any idea on how to fix this? I don't believe I got this error on my Windows setup but will verify tomorrow

Code (CSharp):
    1. Shader error in 'Stylized Water 2/Standard': undeclared identifier '_FOVEATED_RENDERING_NON_UNIFORM_RASTER' at /Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@14.0.10/ShaderLibrary/Clustering.hlsl(30) (on metal)
    3. Compiling Subshader: 0, Pass: ForwardLit, Fragment program with FOG_EXP2 _ADDITIONAL_LIGHT_SHADOWS _ADVANCED_SHADING _CAUSTICS _DISTANCE_NORMALS _FOAM _FORWARD_PLUS _MAIN_LIGHT_SHADOWS_CASCADE _NORMALMAP _REFLECTION_PROBE_BLENDING _REFLECTION_PROBE_BOX_PROJECTION _REFRACTION _SHADOWS_SOFT _SHARP_INERSECTION _TRANSLUCENCY _WAVES
    4. Platform defines: SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_FRAMEBUFFER_FETCH_AVAILABLE UNITY_LIGHTMAP_FULL_HDR UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_NEEDS_RENDERPASS_FBFETCH_FALLBACK UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS
    5. Disabled keywords: DEBUG_DISPLAY DOTS_INSTANCING_ON DYNAMICLIGHTMAP_ON EVALUATE_SH_MIXED EVALUATE_SH_VERTEX FOG_EXP FOG_LINEAR INSTANCING_ON LIGHTMAP_ON LIGHTMAP_SHADOW_MIXING SHADER_API_GLES30 SHADOWS_SHADOWMASK UNITY_ASTC_NORMALMAP_ENCODING UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA UNITY_HALF_PRECISION_FRAGMENT_SHADER_REGISTERS UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER1 UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER2 UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER3 UNITY_LIGHTMAP_DLDR_ENCODING UNITY_LIGHTMAP_RGBM_ENCODING UNITY_METAL_SHADOWS_USE_POINT_FILTERING UNITY_NO_DXT5nm UNITY_NO_FULL_STANDARD_SHADER UNITY_NO_SCREENSPACE_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF2 UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF3 UNITY_PRETRANSFORM_TO_DISPLAY_ORIENTATION UNITY_UNIFIED_SHADER_PRECISION_MODEL UNITY_VIRTUAL_TEXTURING _ADDITIONAL_LIGHTS _ADDITIONAL_LIGHTS_VERTEX _CLUSTERED_RENDERING _DISABLE_DEPTH_TEX _ENVIRONMENTREFLECTIONS_OFF _FLAT_SHADING _LIGHT_LAYERS _MAIN_LIGHT_SHADOWS _MAIN_LIGHT_SHADOWS_SCREEN _RECEIVE_SHADOWS_OFF _RIVER _SMOOTH_INTERSECTION _SPECULARHIGHLIGHTS_OFF _UNLIT _WRITE_RENDERING_LAYERS

34. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

This is due to a bug in URP I'm afraid, not sure which versions specifically it occurs in or in which ones its been fixed. Possibly only when using Forward+ rendering.

There's a VR-specific code path mixed into the Metal graphics API path, which should be impossible, Mac doesn't support VR :p

Upgrading to the latest LTS version may resolve this.

35. Aviark13

Aviark13

Hey There! I was wondering if we could have distortion for the intersection foam texture? Currently the texture just slides along in the specified direction, and looks odd with certain settings. I really want to be able to apply some distortion like we can with surface foam. Is this doable in some way?

Want to be able to distort a texture like this so its not as clearly just sliding along the surface.
    upload_2024-3-8_14-46-59.png

36. pryankster

pryankster

I've added SW2 with the underwater extension to my project, and it looks great ... until I take my character for a swim :-/ Is there any way to exclude my character from getting the edge foam rendered on top of it? (I will eventually add particles around the character when they are swimming/treading water)

https://imgur.com/a/eTJ3L54

-- pryankster

37. sindiso121

sindiso121

SW2 + DWP2 works really well when using a boat on the ocean where the water level is well level, but would it be possible to for it to work on a river were water height varies. I'm thinking of using either colliders so the boat just glides o the river or raycast

Attached Files:

38. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

You can change line 466 in the StylizedWater2/Shaders/Libraries/ForwardPass.hlsl file from

water.intersection = SampleIntersection(uv.xy, etc...

to
    water.intersection = SampleIntersection(uv.xy + saturate(water.offset.yy + water.tangentWorldNormal.xz * 0.2), etc...

Note that waves also shifts the effect around, so adding a single wave layer with a subtle height also enhances the effect.

The intersection foam effect is based on the scene's depth information by default, so it draws on top of any opaque geometry intersecting with the water. It can also be painted onto a mesh, or baked in, using vertex colors.

I believe for this you can forgo the SW2 integration altogether, since it relies on a specific water level for physics. I vaguely recollect DWP2 featuring a raycast-based water sampler? That would work quite well for a river with a mesh collider.

39. Aviark13

Aviark13

Perfect! Thank you! I wanted to expose the mutl value, but that doesn't seem to be straight forward because of the shaders being generated.

But thank you so much for your time.

40. Uli_Okm

Uli_Okm

Hi @StaggartCreations!
    I am thinking about buying your asset, but there is one use case I would want to know:
    - Is it possible to have the intersection foam (shoreline) WITHOUT having the Depth and Opaque textures turned on in the URP pipeline? Mainly because having both of them on a mobile (Android) game seems to hit the CPU/GPU use and more importantly the game RAM usage. If it's necessary to do some manual setup it's no problem at all, just having a nice (as possible) water visual without having this performance impact is what i'm looking for

Thanks!

41. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

That's a particular use case that's been taken into account. On the water material, there's also a "Disable depth texture" option that needs to be disabled if a depth texture is explicitly unavailable.

At which point, vertex colors may be used as an alternative way to denote depth and intersection information.

Uli_Okm likes this.
  42. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Version 1.6.2 is now available!

The Roadmap page has been updated to reflect what may be expected with the Unity 6 release.

Added:
    - Intersection Foam distortion parameter, offsets the texture sample by the normals
    - Caustics chromance parameter, allows blending between grayscale- and RGB caustics

Fixed:
    - Translucency rendering not being applied with the correct strength for a 2nd+ point light.

Underwater Rendering 1.2.3

Added:
    - A warning to the Underwater Renderer UI if rendering was disabled by an external script.

Fixed:
    - Camera-space distortion not having any effect when using VR.

43. dziemid

dziemid

Hi @StaggartCreations!

I am looking at DynamicEffect_DirectionalRipples.

Is it possible to add an option to change the water colour where this effect is applied? Specifically, make the colour darker / lighter in a configurable manner?

This is what I would like to be able to achieve:

( localized areas of moving gusts on the water, that are darker and have more rippels than water around them )

Greg

44. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I'm afraid not, effects can alter the water's vertical displacement and normals, not color directly. The darker color in the real-world examples is attributed to small-scale waves, the wind gusts roughen up the water surface locally, which causes more of the (darker) hills to be reflected and more of the actual water color to show, self-shadowing from the sun/sky light also comes into play. At least, that's my interpretation.

In the water shader, if reflections and normal maps are enabled, all of these factors also affect the water color. The wind gust effect attempts to add small ripples, which in turn translates to this (lighting only shown)
    upload_2024-3-18_10-53-5.png

45. Royall

Royall

Finally had time to check out this asset. Noticed some issues though :)

It looks like there is a problem with rendering billboards in the planar reflection. I am using Amplify Impostors to make billboards for distant trees and it seems like they are rendered with a darker color. Also when viewing from a distance they won't account for fog?

Also, can I fade the edge intersection by distance? As you can see on the long range screenshot, you still see a bright white edge along the coastline.

upload_2024-3-18_14-46-3.png
    upload_2024-3-18_14-48-43.png

What could be the problem here?

46. nd_nomad

nd_nomad

Hi @StaggartCreations, hope this finds you well! You've made a beautiful asset here.

I know in the asset description you mention that this asset won't work with tile maps, so pardon this question.

I'm working on a 2.5d tiled game, ala Don't Starve Shipwrecked:

In my quest to find a water shader that will work with a tilemap, I stumbled on a previous post of yours, where you mention it being possible with the original Stylized Water asset:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/stylized-water-shader-desktop-mobile-vr-built-in-rp.430118/page-8

By chance is anything like this possible with Stylized Water 2? Using World Space UV's & vertex paint, etc.

47. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I'm not sure what's causing the darker color on the imposters, it's a non-standard shader so the root of the cause requires some digging.

The option to enable (default Unity) fog for the reflection render is there, but really only because it may work for some cases. Unity's fog does not work correctly with oblique projections, such as in planar reflections. Large triangles tend to pose an issue, which might be the issue here.

Intersection foam can't be distance faded I'm afraid, it's currently "tightened" based on the viewing angle, so that when you look at a glancing angle it pulls inwards a bit. The white edge seems to be 1 pixel tall, so anti-aliasing may filter it out properly.

The disclaimer about tilemaps is more of a blanket statement. Projects using tilemaps are typically not 3D, so have no depth information. Water on the other hand requires this in the majority of use cases. So, a safeguard against unwelcome surprises ;)

Using vertex colors is otherwise perfectly viable in this case. I've attached an FBX that has various water tiles, with vertex colors baked in for the intersection foam (like in that other post). There's a section in the documentation dedicated to vertex colors here: https://staggart.xyz/unity/stylized-water-2/sws-2-docs/?section=vertex-colors-2

Attached Files:

48. Royall

Royall

upload_2024-3-25_1-47-29.png

Funny thing when I set the impostor clipping to zero, you can see a difference between the reflection and the impostor which doesn't make sense to me..

49. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Shaders created using ASE (such as impostors) have a small difference between normal URP shaders, it's due to an oversight specific to alpha-clipped materials, but may certainly be called a bug.

The output value of the alpha needs to be set to 1. A simply fix can be applied to the template shader here:
    upload_2024-3-25_9-37-39.png

The alpha information is something that's used in the planar reflection, so may create artefacts like this if its incorrect. Similar to something you see in this post.

50. kyuskoj

kyuskoj

Hello Staggart.
    I don't know why, but the version number does not change from 1.6.1 to 1.6.2 in the package manager.

Attached Files:

• 161.png
      161.png
      File size:
      52.3 KB
      Views: