Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Stylized Water 2 [URP] ☑️ Desktop/Mobile/Consoles/VR

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by StaggartCreations, Nov 3, 2020.

1. gabrielgonzalez89

gabrielgonzalez89

Unfortunately it's not that.
    upload_2023-10-19_8-4-42.png
    it seems that there's a second place where the falloff needs to be applied. upload_2023-10-19_8-5-35.png

if you'd like I can send you a mesh for testing

2. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I see in your screenshot that the mesh has hard normals, which results in shading effects not interpolating smoothly. You can see the difference between hard and soft normals here:
    upload_2023-10-19_13-24-55.png
    This can be corrected in the modeling application it was created in

3. gabrielgonzalez89

gabrielgonzalez89

I feel dumb for not checking that, xD
    Thanks! Sorry for the trouble!

4. Kuroda_V

Kuroda_V

Hi, I'm using stylized water 2 with COZY stylized weather. There seems to be some issue with the integration.
    The material does not take the fog color completely, thus it won't fade into the fog when it's far away.
    Any solution to fix this one?

Attached Files:

5. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Submitted version 1.5.4

Fixed:
    - Material UI, the Dynamic Effects surface foam texture slot being linked to the regular Foam Mask slot.

Dynamic Effects extension v1.0.1

Added:
    - Demo scene, UI sliders to control the render range and resolution

Fixed:
    - DemoController script throwing an error on some platforms (likely due to localization).

adamgolden likes this.
  6. gabrielgonzalez89

gabrielgonzalez89

Here is an interesting question... can we add multiple Render effects? I was thinking on trying to increase the visibility range by a lot but it would require me to give up the nearby quality.

RaoulWB likes this.
  7. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I believe I understand what you mean; rendering in two different bands, one for and one for near, then blend the two together. Much like cascaded shadows.

In theory that's possible, but right now that would require a significant rework.

Finding a balance between the maximum visible range, quality and performance (namely memory usage) will be necessary, which I suppose also depends on the type of project.

8. ml785

ml785

Oh wow, the whirlpool in the demo scene is AMAZING! The new Dynamic Effects extension is fantastic with so many use cases!

9. ml785

ml785

For this Dynamic Effects limitation (Displacement created by effects does not affect C# buoyancy information), are there any plans to attempt making this possible in the future? Or, do you have suggestions of how to try approaching this manually?

10. Jelmer123

Jelmer123

Wow love it!!

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  11. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

It was a last minute addition, glad you like it :D It serves as a good example that negative displacement is also possible, pushing the water down.

I can't say I have concrete plans. Though I have a solid idea on how to approach this, as more generalized solution that makes buoyancy for rivers possible as well.

Because the displacement data lives on the GPU, it needs to be copied back to the CPU in order to use the information in scripting (mainly buoyancy calculations). Typically a process that's slow and prone to hiccups, but ultimately necessary.

I have previously prototyped this sort of functionality using an asynchronous compute shader readback (to avoid stalling the CPU). Which off the bat seemed to work quite smoothly. But it still begs the question how well this holds up in a production project, with potentially hundreds of queries and physics that rely on them.

It's still something in the back of my mind, and does warrant some further development. It would definitely be cool if something like a jetski could jump over its own wake, or the ripples of an impact jostling boats up and down.

ml785 likes this.
  12. RaoulWB

RaoulWB

Hello!
    I've recently updated to the latest version of the Asset and extensions.

The Underwater Renderer seems to have issues drawing what's placed above the water edge.

Here's with the Underwater Renderer disabled

2023-10-28 12.30.23 Unity_1156x691.png

And with the Underwater Renderer enabled

2023-10-28 12.30.31 Unity_1156x691.png

I've tried fiddling with most of settings. Only thing I could tell is that increasing the fog density on the Underwater Renderer and disabling translucency in the water material helps mask the problem somewhat.

Bonus: build of the game using an older version of the Asset. No rendering issues in here.
    2023-10-28 12.36.55 Fech_The_Ferret_1920x1080.png

13. BlankMauser

BlankMauser

Hey I am getting these errors when using the Curved World Activator:

I can ask the Curved World creator but thought I'd ask here just in case. I have not installed any other extensions and am using URP 13.1.8, Unity Version 2022.1.23f1

14. PlayIgames

PlayIgames

15. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

With version 1.0.4, much of the underwater shading was reworked to be more true-to-nature. If you were using an older version before that, that may certainly account for the visual difference.

What you're seeing for the most part is the Translucency effect. You can scale this down (as an override) on the Underwater Renderer component
    upload_2023-10-30_10-31-15.png

Ah that indeed seems to be the case, I take an update in either asset made the integration skew.

It is related to the order in which shader libraries are 'loaded' in. Curved World needs to go under the URP libraries, so that it can properly detect URP is in use.

This can be achieved by moving the line in the shader file to 254:
    upload_2023-10-30_11-0-26.png
    (The line will be commented out in your case, so be sure to remove the leading '//').

I'll be sure to include this change in an upcoming update!

Thanks for sharing! Congratulations the publication!

RaoulWB and PlayIgames like this.
  16. Bwacky

Bwacky

Any chance of updating the Buto integration so it works with the newest Buto (2022)?

17. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I wasn't aware that was available :p Looking at the documentation now, I see that would certainly be possible.

Bwacky likes this.
  18. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

It appears no changes are needed here. After importing Buto 2022 you can recompile the water shader and it will apply the integration:

upload_2023-10-30_12-53-7.png

Bwacky likes this.
  19. Bwacky

Bwacky

Sweet! One more question, can you give me advice on how to create separate instances of the stylized water standard shader where one could work with Cozy, and one with Buto? Duplicating the shader, renaming it, and recompiling with a different integration does not work out and the duplicate simply glows purple.
    The shader itself after recompilation also shows the error "No matching 2 parameter function D3D Fog.hlsl:74"

20. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Sure! You can go about this as follows:

- Select the StylizedWater2_Standard file
    - Untick the "Automatic detection" checkbox and choose a specific fog integration
    - Duplicate the StylizedWater2_Standard file
    - Rename the file and change the "Shader Name" field in the inspector to something different
    - Choose the fog integration for your new duplicate
    - Drag the original StylizedWater2_Standard file into the "Template" field on the duplicate (that is so code changes in updates propagate into the duplicate).

You'll now notice the duplicate shader shows up in the shader selection menu (twice, still don't know why!).

I had a look at the new Buto shader code, and the fog application function now indeed has 3 parameters, rather than 2. Which explains the error. Though I see there is a backwards compatible fallback, so it should works error-free all the same. Perhaps this was added in a later update? I tested the integration on version 7.2.4.

Bwacky likes this.
  21. Bwacky

Bwacky

Regretfully, enabling the Buto integration produces my favorite color.

Tried all options including wiping my library, any ideas on what I could try otherwise? Also running 7.2.4 right now.

22. Bwacky

Bwacky

Should probably attach these:

Code (CSharp):
    2. Shader error in 'Stylized Water 2/Buto Variant': 'ButoFogBlend': no matching 2 parameter function at Assets/StylizedWater2/Shaders/Libraries/Fog.hlsl(74) (on d3d11)
    4. Compiling Subshader: 0, Pass: ForwardLit, Vertex program with <no keywords>
    5. Platform defines: SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_LIGHTMAP_FULL_HDR UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS
    6. Disabled keywords: DOTS_INSTANCING_ON DYNAMICLIGHTMAP_ON DYNAMIC_EFFECTS_ENABLED EVALUATE_SH_MIXED EVALUATE_SH_VERTEX INSTANCING_ON LIGHTMAP_ON LIGHTMAP_SHADOW_MIXING SHADER_API_GLES30 SHADOWS_SHADOWMASK UNITY_ASTC_NORMALMAP_ENCODING UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA UNITY_FRAMEBUFFER_FETCH_AVAILABLE UNITY_HALF_PRECISION_FRAGMENT_SHADER_REGISTERS UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER1 UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER2 UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER3 UNITY_LIGHTMAP_DLDR_ENCODING UNITY_LIGHTMAP_RGBM_ENCODING UNITY_METAL_SHADOWS_USE_POINT_FILTERING UNITY_NO_DXT5nm UNITY_NO_FULL_STANDARD_SHADER UNITY_NO_SCREENSPACE_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF2 UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF3 UNITY_PRETRANSFORM_TO_DISPLAY_ORIENTATION UNITY_UNIFIED_SHADER_PRECISION_MODEL UNITY_VIRTUAL_TEXTURING _ADDITIONAL_LIGHTS _ADDITIONAL_LIGHTS_VERTEX _CLUSTERED_RENDERING _FLAT_SHADING _FORWARD_PLUS _MAIN_LIGHT_SHADOWS _MAIN_LIGHT_SHADOWS_CASCADE _MAIN_LIGHT_SHADOWS_SCREEN _NORMALMAP _RECEIVE_SHADOWS_OFF _RIVER _WAVES

OH! And I'm on Forward+ :oops:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2023
  23. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Hmmm, puzzling, same code different outcome?

You can patch the Fog.hlsl file with the following changes, to explicitly use the Buto 2022 code function.
    upload_2023-10-31_9-30-8.png

For copy-paste:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. float3 viewPos = TransformWorldToView(positionWS);
    2.     foggedColor = ButoFogBlend(screenPos.xy / screenPos.w, -viewPos.z, color.rgb);
    I'll have to ask the author to add some form of version identification, so that I can use correct code, depending if the 2021 or 2022 version is used. So a proper integration will be possible after a minor update to both assets soon enough :)

Bwacky likes this.
  24. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Submitted Underwater Rendering v1.2.0!

Minimum required version of Stylized Water 2 is now 1.5.2.

• The Underwater Trigger component was previously referenced in the documentation as an example. Questions about its usage (with or without knowledge of its existence) tend to come around, so the component is now included in the package, with its own demo scene
    • The changing of namespace is a bandaid that had to be ripped off I'm afraid. Any custom scripts referencing code will need to add "using StylizedWater2.UnderwaterRendering" to the top of their scripts.

25. RaoulWB

RaoulWB

Thank you! That fixed it.

StaggartCreations likes this.
  26. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Submitted v1.5.5, a minor update!

Fixed:
    - Shader error when using Curved World 2022, due to incorrect order of shader library compilation.
    - Water appearing completely black when Buto 2022 is installed (temporary fix until integration is available)

27. Rastapastor

Rastapastor

For future ;)

In 2023.2 alpha they added this new thing

upload_2023-11-7_17-59-38.png

0After setting reuqired settings (disabling static batching + 0- upload_2023-11-7_18-0-5.png
    )

There is problem with waves etc :), the level of water is offset too high :)

Waves up
    upload_2023-11-7_18-0-55.png

waves down

upload_2023-11-7_18-1-3.png

Just for future TODOs list :)

Edit: Found out, tesselation is a problem, so I assume this new optimization they added doesnt work well atm with the tesselated materials.

28. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Thanks for the headsup! :)

I checked it out and can indeed see the same thing happen.

Historically, tessellation and instanced rendering don't go together. Stands to reason that DOTS Instancing also won't work.

Tessellation isn't part of URP's native feature set, so its unlikely to get fixed until it is unfortunately.

Attached Files:

29. cidolfas2015

cidolfas2015

I just got the dynamic effects extension but I don't know how to use it. any tutorials or something?

30. cidolfas2015

cidolfas2015

so I put the wake prefab on my character and the shoreline wave prefab on the shore, but everything is a blue. shouldn't it be more clear?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2023
  31. cidolfas2015

cidolfas2015

I was able to adjust the color of the waves and trails with the foam setting, I also set the band on the trail so it's not like a boat but more like someone splashing in the water. it's not transparent though. is there a way to adjust the height where the wake prefab hits? even if I am swimming deep it shows the wake at the top of the waves. very fun to play with though.

32. serghei-jelesco

serghei-jelesco

Hello, @StaggartCreations.
    Could you please tell me how to enable light cookie support for water surface materials? According to this post, there should be an option in the inspector. However, I'm using the latest version of Stylized Water 2 and haven't found it yet.
    I would also like to thank you for the creation of such an outstanding asset. A true treasure for studying URP HLSL-written shaders :)

33. D-XII

D-XII

Hi. I have a weird issue after upgrading to the new version, which never happened before. I install the asset fresh each update and I only have the underwater extension at the moment.

Capture.PNG

Capture 2.PNG

Basically the water grid script seems to be unrecognized or something.I've attached examples, I haven't assigned any materials but the same happens if they are assigned. Is this on my end? Thing is, it works it just broke my planar reflections after the update. Thank you for your work. :)

34. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

That's indeed the version where the option was exposed. You can find it in the shader's inspector here: upload_2023-11-14_15-52-31.png

Also thank you for expressing your appreciation :)

I can't say I've ever seen this happen in Unity before, it is undoubtedly related to a script compilation issue. I see there's a slew of information on this forums about this "no monobehaviour script in file" message. Worth looking into and trying some of the suggested solutions.

D-XII and serghei-jelesco like this.
  35. D-XII

D-XII

Thanks for getting back to me. You were right about the script compilation issues. I deleted libraries and let the project rebuild and it was all working well after that. In case anyone runs into my issue try that. :)

36. avivoren

avivoren

Thank you so much, it fixed the problem for me!

37. EnesCnr

EnesCnr

I've just bought this pack because it looks very nice and what I was looking for my project with the underwater extension pack. But I can't use the package. When I import the package, I am getting these errors:

upload_2023-11-21_22-13-59.png

I am aware that these errors are caused by the DWP2 Package which I don't have that. Also I can't find the "Stylized Water 2" panel on window section. So what should i do? Thank you so much.

38. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

The code in this particular script is conditionally compiled based on the presence of the
    NWH_DWP2 scripting define symbol.

This gets automatically added to your project when you install the Dynamic Water Physics 2 asset. Its a means of telling scripts that it is available for use.

Yet, when you remove this asset from your project this define symbol remains in place. In this case, the script in question throws errors about all kinds of missing DWP2 code.

You'll find the define symbol in your project's Player Settings, where you can remove it. After which, your project code will recompile, the errors will disappear, and all the functionality of the SW2 asset becomes accessible :)
    upload_2023-11-27_7-54-40.png

39. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I'm preparing a sizeable update for both the Stylized Water 2 base asset (v1.6.0) and the Dynamic Effects extension (v1.1.0).

First off, effects will see an overal improvement in fidelity. I discovered I had incorrectly adopted alpha blending for the effects, resulting in their overal strength to be diminished. They now all blend in an additive fashion, and any textures used retain their information 1:1.

This is the "Water Ripples Trail" effect in action, it appears a lot sharper and approaches the same quality as a simulation

All the effect prefabs have been adjusted, with their Displacement and Normal strengths lowered to somewhere between 0 and 1.

Screen-space reflections are being added in 1.6.0. This is implemented directly in the water shader, as opposed to a full-screen effect with a prepass. It is not nearly as computationally expensive as a global SSR solution.
    upload_2023-11-28_18-51-41.png
    It is viable to use on mobile hardware and works perfectly in VR!

(For the time being, it has no configurable quality settings, but that will receive some attention in the future)

Lastly, caustics can now be projected from the sun's incoming direction
    upload_2023-11-28_18-55-53.png

For both of these features it will be required to add the "Stylized Water 2" render feature to the renderer. The option to do so will be exposed in the material UI, should it be missing.

Stochfard likes this.
  40. Garien

Garien

@StaggartCreations Hello! Love the asset, pro stuff as always.

I've been having an issue with lava that I don't know how to fix.

It's being darkened out on specific camera angles/distances. I've tried increasing camera's clipping planes and messing with a bunch of stuff in the material, didn't work... It is using river mode, btw. Happens in Scene and Game view.
    It does not happen to other water materials.

Any pointers on how I can fix this? Thanks!
    upload_2023-11-30_15-18-4.png
    upload_2023-11-30_15-17-57.png

41. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Thank you!

I'm fairly sure that's the "Horizon Color" kicking in, which shows as grazing angles. On the included Lava material this is set the Black at full intensity.

You can either push the effect back by adjusting this parameter:
    upload_2023-12-1_10-8-38.png
    Or by setting the color's alpha channel to 0 (this control the strength/opacity)

Garien likes this.
  42. GameTraining

GameTraining

Dynamic Effects for Stylized Water 2 (Extension) is incredible!! Best water effects I've ever seen in Unity.

However, when I export for webGL, the waves are missing. The foam and wave ripples are present so it looks like the waves are working however there is no wave height. Waves work perfectly within the editor but the actual wave (height) effect is missing from the webGL build.

Any tips would be wonderful.

Thanks

43. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

WebGL most likely doesn't support tessellation shaders, so the vertices will not appear to be pushed upwards by the effects.

44. mr_president

mr_president

Ran into a problem with the final 2020.3 versions of water and underwater (1.5.0, 1.1.0).

Shader error in 'Hidden/Stylized Water 2/UnderwaterMask': redefinition of 'LinearDepthToEyeDepth' at Assets/StylizedWater2/Shaders/Libraries/URP.hlsl(60) (on d3d11)
    Shader error in 'Hidden/Stylized Water 2/Waterline': redefinition of 'LinearDepthToEyeDepth' at Assets/StylizedWater2/Shaders/Libraries/URP.hlsl(60) (on d3d11)

Seems pretty self-evident, the definition gets doubled-up but only in Unity 2020.3 or earlier.

Code (CSharp):
    1. #if UNITY_VERSION < 202120 //Unity 2020.3 (URP 10)
    2. //Already declared in ShaderVariablesFunctions.hlsl
    3. float LinearDepthToEyeDepth(float rawDepth)
    4. {
    5.     #if UNITY_REVERSED_Z
    6.     return _ProjectionParams.z - (_ProjectionParams.z - _ProjectionParams.y) * rawDepth;
    7.     #else
    8.     return _ProjectionParams.y + (_ProjectionParams.z - _ProjectionParams.y) * rawDepth;
    9.     #endif
    10. }
    11. #endif
    I'm not sure which definition to remove/what includes to change that would be safest, simply commenting out the definition here breaks other shaders elsewhere.

45. SOL3BREAKER

SOL3BREAKER

Sir, I don't have ASE, could you tell me how to integrate Cozy fog with underwater effect by code.
    ---------
    i found your documation, and test it, GetNormalizedScreenSpaceUV seems not work for me, and I used their float2 UV22_g12 = ase_screenPosNorm.xy instead, it seem to be fixed.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2023
  46. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

It may be that in a minor version of 2020.3 this break. Could be an earlier, or a later version since the URP version changes along with it. I see that in 2020.3.30 no shader error are posed (URP 10.8.1).

There's an example shader available here: https://pastebin.com/c3i9uMu1

The same implementation would work for COZY's fog sphere shader, where you'd want to set the alpha to 0 for any pixels under water.

47. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

For the first, and probably the only time, you can get the Underwater Rendering extension at a 70% discount for the next 19 hours during the Cyber Week sale!

48. SOL3BREAKER

SOL3BREAKER

Could you support procedural skybox like crest ocean in your enviroment reflections? I like the extra lighting from environment reflections, but it needs a cubemap from lignting settings, and I tried many other parameters but none of these could achieve that result. And I am using Cozy which forces to use custom reflection, baking reflection per frame will need more performance, if you could simply get input from current sun, and apply them as a extra lighting.

49. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

That would certainly be possible! Though I'd need a shader function to call, in order to sample the skybox color at a given direction. I believe COZY strictly sends the skybox colors (horizon, top, sun disk, etc) to the skybox material directly, making it impossible for other shaders to grab the parameters and use them. Comparable to private properties in a C# script, as opposed to public static.

You're right in thinking that this approach is faster than rendering a cubemap in realtime. But would require a sizeable refactor of COZY's shaders/scripts.

50. SOL3BREAKER

SOL3BREAKER

Most of their parameters can be got by their public method per frame at lateupdate from CozyWeather.instance, so it would not be a problem.