Search Unity

Stylized Water 2 [URP] ☑️ Desktop/Mobile/Consoles/VR

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by StaggartCreations, Nov 3, 2020.

1. hal0000

hal0000

Thank you for your reply, I tried with passing depth only shader but I couldn't work it out. I tried your shader too but it doesn't work. I'm trying with 3D URP installed fresh unity project with your asset only 2021.3.21f1 metal, arm64 apple slicon. I'm trying with StylizedWaterDemo scene

I followed up these steps.
    1. I created new Standart surface shader and I copy pasted your shader code only.
    2. I created new material and used shader that we created.
    3. Replaced that Lit material to the Depth Only shader material.
    It doesn't interact with water. Do I need to change something else with project settings or water settings?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2023
  2. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

3. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

You very likely need to adjust the render queue on the "depth only" material, so that is renders on top of the water. That's at least what I had to do. I'd recommend consulting the Frame Debugger to check what actually gets written into the depth texture, and the order of transparency rendering.

So the answer is both yes and no. In the traditional sense it cannot be integrated into the water (or any other transparent shader). Instead, the asset itself is able to do a depth-texture pass for transparent materials and uses that into the fog calculation.

The caveat is that this pre-pass uses a (specific) replacement shader. This means that any custom behaviour in your transparent shaders (in the context of water, waves and transparency) is not taking into account. For the fog, the water would also be treated as flat, which results in some discrepancies for water materials with prominent waves.

If you encounter this, feel free to send me a DM, I had investigated this earlier and found that a few code adjustments in the asset's DepthRenderPrePassFeature class adds native support for custom transparent shaders.

4. Gdizzie

Gdizzie

Hi, I'm not getting any baked lighting on the water in my build but it's fine in the editor, any ideas?

5. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

If shading features such as lightmapping disappear only in a build, it means the particular shader variant got stripped during the build process. This happens when Unity deems the feature unused. But in this case, baked lightmaps would disappear from the entire scene, which I doubt is the case.

Best to leave this setting to "Automatic" in Graphics settings:
    upload_2023-6-16_15-28-13.png

Foot note: I found out lightmaps don't work on the material if the Tessellation feature is enabled. This is an oversight, and will be corrected in an upcoming update.

6. Gdizzie

Gdizzie

Hi, it's already on Automatic..

Screenshot 2023-06-16 172315.png

7. Gdizzie

Gdizzie

Update to this, setting it Custom with all boxes checked and it works!

StaggartCreations likes this.
  8. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

Ok. So I am having issues with the Invector Swim Addon. Every time I get near the water, the screen starts to fill up and my character isn't even in the water yet. Also when I surface, it still renders the underwater post processing. How do I get it to render normally above the water?

9. PlayIgames

PlayIgames

I don't know why Water Foam flipping while camera rotation in the Android build
    Please take a Look in this video

10. PlayIgames

PlayIgames

This will only happens in the Mobile not in the Editor in the Unity Editor it is working fine

Last edited: Jun 17, 2023
  11. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

What I think is happening is that the water level configured on the Underwater Renderer component is actually higher than the water mesh surface is in the world.

You can also source the water level from a specific transform instead of copy/pasting the Y-position value:
    upload_2023-6-17_11-50-24.png

Thanks for sharing the videos, that shows clearly what's going on.

It's evident you're running into floating point precision errors, which is a limitation of the hardware (GPU vendor and driver version possibly being an added factor).

The intersection foam effect is based on the depth texture Unity renders. On mobile platforms, this depth texture may be of lower precision than on PC/Consoles.

Jittering may occur when:
    • The camera is very far away from the water surface
    • The water is very shallow
    In these case the depth value (of any given pixel) may be very close to that of the geometry behind it (eg. 0.98553 vs 0.98554). Due to floating point rounding errors, these values may appear to jitter back and forth, which translates to a visual artefact. This is comparable to Z-Fighting.

Solutions:
    • Limit the maximum render range by decreasing the camera’s far clipping plane value (set on the Camera component).
    • Ensure the water is fairly deep (problematic for beaches)
    • Draw the foam/depth effect through Vertex Colors so that it is based on static data (ultimate solution).
    This whole ordeal pertains to the general working of 3D rendering and is not something the water shader can circumvent, nor does it mean it’s broken.

12. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

Thanks! That was exactly it. Now my next questions is what I if wanted two materials to be set up for Underwater Rendering?

13. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

The underwater rendering is based on a specific water level height, and material (to mimmic certain properties). You can change both on the fly, based on a certain trigger.

What you could do this to attach this script to a Box Collider (trigger) so that both of these properties are changed on the Underwater Renderer when the camera enters it. It could be set up on another trigger to do the same.

14. EdEddnEddy

EdEddnEddy

Looks like the fog issue I had earlier is back:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/sty...obile-consoles-vr.999132/page-11#post-9055402

Same Oculus Quest project, no changes made to the material or the water Shader according to Git since the last time. Didn't upgrade any packages as well or install new assets.

This time deleting the Library/ShaderCache folder (multiple times) doesn't seem to help. The Oculus Quest build seems to always be missing fog while Windows/Editor works fine. This happens also happens both on my machine and my colleagues - other colleague, not the same PC when I tested this last time, caches also cleared.

Things I've tried:
    • Clearing caches, maybe I missed some hidden file?
    • Using Custom Fog modes and enabling only Exponential Squared
    • Using a different water plane, simple quad
    • Preloading Shader variants
    • Reimporting the package (Git reported no changes)
    • Hard-coding
      #define UnityFog
      in
      Fog.hlsl
    One odd thing I noticed that the Shader doesn't appear in the Material drop-down selection menu.

15. D-XII

D-XII

Hi. I love the asset. I have just recently upgraded to the new unity LTS 2022.3, however I am running into a small issue. There's black lines around the outlines of objects underwater. Seems to be somehow related to post processing, because if I turn that off the issue disappears. Any idea how I could fix this with leaving post processing on? It's not a massive issue, just a little eye sore. Thanks very much. Untitled-2.jpg

16. EL-soNK

EL-soNK

At first -- thanks for the asset, I love it.
    In my current project I'm struggling though... I need to achieve some kind of "water is moving in one direction"-effect. Background: there's a ship, which is static -- but it should look like the ship is traveling. So I need to move the water around it. But this doesn't work with "World XZ projected" UV (but this is essential, since there's no continuity between meshes/waves etc otherwise). And all the speed/direction settings have an effect, but my normals move back and forth at the same time, but I just want them to move mainly in one direction. Sorry for the strange question, but maybe there's some option or possibility...

17. hal0000

hal0000

Hello, everything works fine till I rotate water prefab on x axis. as I told you before, I'm making 2D game, so I had to rotate water's X axis by 90 or -90. I changed material UV Coordinated to Mesh UV. other than this, I didn't touch the prefab.
    This happens when I rotate X axis by -90 Screenshot 2023-06-22 at 15.40.52.png

and this is happens when I rotate X axis by 90
    Screenshot 2023-06-22 at 15.42.00.png

as you can see water looks different from middle. also our depth shader not works on upperside
    this picture from water's -90 x axis rotated and sphere with depth only shader at vector3 zero Screenshot 2023-06-22 at 15.51.57.png

this picture from water's 90 x axis rotated and sphere with depth only shader at vector3 zero
    Screenshot 2023-06-22 at 15.52.19.png

all problem solves if I disable environment reflection. But this is giving me very bad looking water
    depth only shader works same with this setup
    Screenshot 2023-06-22 at 15.55.18.png

can you help me solve this problem? none of this problem occurs if i don't rotate water. but I have to rotate. also water is scaled by 28 in all 3 axis

18. hal0000

hal0000

Also I have fully customizable skybox shader. I tried every kind of possibility to fix water's rotation problem but none of them changed it
    upload_2023-6-22_16-0-28.png

19. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

If you can, try to redownload and import the asset from the store. A few days after v1.4.0 a hotfix was pushed with the same version, but this does include a specific change related to Unity fog integration. I've made a test build using the version that's currently on the store and can confirm Unity's fog gets applied to the water.

Fog not showing up in a build suggests the functionality was stripped from the shader. But if this were the case, it would have been stripped from every other shader used in the application. If you don't see fog taking effect on the rest of the environment, that would indicate that's indeed happening.

The blurring I see suggests you're using a Depth of Field effect. I can indeed reproduce the same kind of artefacts (albeit more subtle) when using the Bokeh DoF method. I think this is just a natural artefact inherent to the effect, and the fact that the water surface (being transparent) can't be focused on.

It sounds like using the River Mode will be what you're after, as this forces the animations to move in a single direction.

Though, if you'd like to use world projected UV, whilst having only forward animations you can make a small change to the StylizedWater2/Shaders/Libraries/Common.hlsl file. Where you can change line 99 from
    Code (CSharp):
    1. //Second UV, 2x larger, twice as slow, in opposite direction
    2.     float2 uv2 = (sourceUV.xy * subTiling) - ((time.xy) * speed * subSpeed);
    to
    Code (CSharp):
    1. //Second UV, 2x larger, twice as slow, in opposite direction
    2.     float2 uv2 = (sourceUV.xy * subTiling) + ((time.xy) * speed * subSpeed);
    (Minus becomes plus)

The incorrect reflections you're using when not using a horizontal plane is actually attributes to the Waves functionality, this strictly works for lakes/ocean rather than sloped/curved geometry, so you'd have to disable it.

Otherwise rotating a water plane should work as expected. Indeed, when having the UV Coordinated option set to "Mesh UV".

EL-soNK and D-XII like this.
  20. hal0000

hal0000

As you can see with Mesh UV and rotating by X axis 0 to -90

some how water not properly works above the horizon positions. even if i change horizon rotation or position from my sky shader, water not getting affected also with depthonly shader.

Can we able to solve this? without reflection and lightning, water looks like distorted sprite sheet.
    Also another problem is about "Depth Only" topic. water's interaction with depth only shaders works only always below the horizon you can see from video or my pictures that i posted before, water interactions with depth only below the horizon. can we solve this problems? with changing the scripts?

21. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

You'd have to disable the Waves feature.

I must stress again that everything is designed for 3D rendering. There are designs in place to correct common artefacts or prevent unwanted behavior. This all assumes the Y-axis is up and that the water's depth also runs down vertical, not along the Z-axis. Having no geometry behind the water also creates a situation where the water is infinitely deep, which is unlikely to yield the results you may want. This all goes against the grain of what the shader is designed for, or the assumptions it affords.

22. EdEddnEddy

EdEddnEddy

Downloaded the new version (and deleted
    ShaderCache
    folder just in case). The new version seems to have updated
    Common.hlsl
    , though the fog is still missing on the water plane in Quest builds. Note, that other objects receive fog correctly and fog breaks only on Android (on Windows builds its fine).

Perhaps there is a setting that I missed in URP which could related to this? I did fiddle around with Opaque/Depth Texture and a few other things a couple of weeks ago, though its hard to tell when this stopped working as I didn't make a build immediately. Also could there exist more cache folders that I could try to clear?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2023
  23. EL-soNK

EL-soNK

AWESOME!! Changing - to + worked as a charm!! Thanks a lot!!!
    (I was aware of river mode, but I need the waves!)

24. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Fog working on Windows, but not Android is very strange. The effect is so simple, there's arguably no reason why it would break.

What I can do is make a test build for Quest, with fog exaggerated. At least to figure out if the issue is shader- or project specific.

Which Unity version is your project using?

25. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Pleased to announce the upcoming "Dynamic Effects" extension asset!

What this offers is the ability to project renderers (Mesh/Particle/Line/Trail) onto the water surface in a decal-like manner.

Each of these effects can add (vertical) displacement and surface foam to the water surface. From the displacement a new normal map is rendered, making the surface actually appear to curve up.

With a little creativity a variety of effects can be conjured up.

For example, basic shoreline waves (large and small) through the use of a particle system

Or boat wakes through a Trail Renderer

Ripples

The technical implementation is done and integrated into the upcoming v1.5.0 feature update. Currently development is focused on created several pre-made effects. If all goes well (and asset store review times are graceful), the preliminary v1.0.0 will be made available this summer.

(Extensive testing hasn't taken place yet, but I certainly expect mobile and VR to work without a hitch)

26. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Amazing update, really like those shorelines and the wakes / ripples

StaggartCreations likes this.
  27. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Question about the ripples can this be used to simulate rain drops falling on the water?

28. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I'd say so, currently there's a "raindrop" effect prefab:
    upload_2023-6-26_15-52-47.png

Which is essentially the ripple trail particle effect, but modified to emit particles over time, and in an area.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  29. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

yeah thats exactly what I had in mind ! thanks

30. SSeadog

SSeadog

My Universal Render Pipeline version is 12.1.10

but stylized-water-2 Assets saying "This package requires the Universal Render Pipeline 10.3.2 or newer, would you like to install or update it now?"

when I press "OK" button, I can see this console.

but nothing's changed. the alert still pops up.
    What should I do to avoid this notification?

31. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

The installation of URP is detected through native Unity functionality, so I can't think of a reason why this wouldn't be detected. Especially since its right there in your package manifest.

If all else fails, you can add "URP" as a scripting define symbol to your project.

SSeadog likes this.
  32. Bwacky

Bwacky

Hi Staggart, quick question!
    A package from AlterEgoGames came out recently adding FSR 2 support to Unity. Sadly in scenes where the Planer Reflection Renderer is enabled, the quality of the FSR gets reduced and a lot of visual artifacts get introduced, which ain't too good. I've attached some screenshots showing the issue (and one with SMAA on where the issue does not exist with planar reflections on).

Any ideas if I can work around that? Not sure if it's more of an FSR issue or a planar reflection issue, albeit I don't see that issue with anything else in the scenes. It's this weird small-res square in the bottom left side of the screenshots.

FSR Quality.png SMAA.png FSR Fastest.png

33. Bwacky

Bwacky

Should mention when disabling planar reflection renderer in the scene but enabling FSR, it all looks exactly as it does when using SMAA.
    The issue also only appears in BUILDS, but not in editor - editor is fine.

34. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I think FSR2 is using a dynamic resolution and not all things rendered scale correctly

35. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Alter Ego Games? That's a studio one town over :p Interesting they published an asset!

I believe upscaling shouldn't be applied to a planar reflection render, as the result gets incorporated into the water surface, which in turn renders to the screen (and that gets upscaled).

You can possibly adjust the render scale on the component to a much lower value, and hope the quality gets improved by the final upscaled image. That way you can benefit from the performance improvement from rendering reflections at a lower resolution, possibly without the quality loss (due to upscaling eventually)

Can't say for sure which of the two is the best set up. But rendering FSR for the reflection render would be prohibitively expensive due to an additional depth- and motion vectors pre-pass taking place (required for FSR), potentially tripling the amount of drawcalls :eek:

For Planar Reflections, it's recommend to set up a separate renderer, to be used for it. As outlined in the Performance Guidelines documentation page (Renderer section). That said, if FSR is executed through a render feature, you can simply not add it to this renderer and it likely won't conflict.

Please try setting up renderer for planar reflections, without FSR added to it.

Bwacky likes this.
  36. Bwacky

Bwacky

That did the trick, incredibly simple but I just haven't thought it about it! Thank you so much!

I notice the quality of the reflection rendering is leagues sharper and crispier in forward mode, but my game is running in deferred due to a higher point light object count (street lamps, torches etc).

Any reason against running my game renderer in deferred while keeping the reflections on forward?

Attached a comparison of the visual difference (this is no FSR related anymore, same results without any sort of AA).
    Deferred.png Forward.png

37. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Good to know! Glad that pans out properly.

I can't say I notice any difference between the two rendering paths in a few projects I tried. But using Forward rendering for planar reflections could be a smidge faster. It's unfortunately not possible to disable point light shading for reflections, that would certainly help.

Bwacky likes this.
  38. OceanViewGames

OceanViewGames

We are having an issue with planar reflections crashing the game when built.
    - Windows L2CPP
    - Unity 2021.3.27f1
    - URP latest

System.NullReferenceException PlanarReflectionRenderer.cs in OnWillRenderCamera at line 214
    XRSystem.ReleaseFrame() was not called!

All i can think of is bounds is null but it does not help that it never happens to me in editor or build :D

39. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Could you post the full error stack trace? That would provide more detail as to what it refers to and where it comes from.

If I had to guess the error suggests something went belly up and prevented the render loop from finishing (thus ReleaseFrame not being called).

40. OceanViewGames

OceanViewGames

This is the only stack trace I have.

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    File "PlanarReflectionRenderer.cs", line 214, in OnWillRenderCamera
    File "UnityEngine.CoreModule__3.cpp", line 36698, in BeginCameraRendering
    File "UnityEngine.CoreModule__3.cpp", line 9352, in BeginCameraRendering
    File "UnityEngine.CoreModule__3.cpp", line 34293, in BeginCameraRendering
    File "UnityEngine.CoreModule__3.cpp", line 33273, in BeginCameraRendering
    File "UniversalRenderPipeline.cs", line 555, in RenderCameraStack
    File "UniversalRenderPipeline.cs", line 280, in Render
    File "UnityEngine.CoreModule__3.cpp", line 42, in DoRenderLoop_Internal
    File "UnityEngine.CoreModule__3.cpp", line 33357, in DoRenderLoop_Internal
    File "UnityEngine.CoreModule__3.cpp", line 34629, in DoRenderLoop_Internal

41. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Thanks for the details! I have a look at the related line and it indeed simply seems like "bounds" is null. Which begs the question, are you instantiating the component at runtime?

42. Bwacky

Bwacky

Hey Staggart!
    Small question, I see water reacting nicely to my mesh renderers and drawing foam around them, but it seems to ignore Skinned Mesh Renderers (my players). Any way to add skinned mesh detection to the material as well?

43. OceanViewGames

OceanViewGames

The script is attached to a game object in the scene. But the game object is a child of the water grid that moves with the player. (follow target)

Attached Files:

44. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

The intersection foam effect only applies to opaque geometry. If the characters are using a transparent material the water would not create an intersection foam from them. In rare cases (kind of has to be deliberate) custom shaders wouldn't either. The type of renderer shouldn't actually matter as they largely go through the same process of being rendered on screen.

A quick way to check, is to apply a different material to a character to see if that's where the difference lies.

That should certainly be fine! To be sure I used the same set up and ran an IL2CPP build, but no similar issues came up.

What's strange is that nothing in that line of code can throw a null-ref error.

Bwacky likes this.
  45. OceanViewGames

OceanViewGames

Yea, it is super strange. It only happens for some people. I wonder if it's another error (not your asset pack) that is causing this to pop up.

46. Bwacky

Bwacky

Would it be possible to (someday) get Underwater Rendering working with Cozy or any other custom fog solution? Tbh think most people trying to unify their stylized projects keep quite far away from the default Unity fog.

47. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

May be worthwhile to place some Debug.Log lines in place, in order to catch what exactly is null.

I'm afraid not, not out of the box at least. The design of both assets conflict. The reason why this doesn't work with Cozy is because Cozy will always render after Underwater Rendering does. The fog/cloud sphere are transparent materials in the form of scene geometry objects, which isn't conventional. Clouds are traditionally rendered in the skybox, and fog is either incorporated into the overal lighting model (such as the default Unity fog) or applied as a post-processing effect.

In the case of the latter, the rendering order can be controlled, and Underwater rendering can be made to render after the fog. Which is why any other assets (eg. Enviro/Azure) pose no conflict.

That being said, with Cozy being transparent materials, Underwater rendering would have to be incorporated into the fog/cloud/rain shaders. Which is actually what @Kreshi outlined in this post. Which is also noted in the documentation here: https://staggart.xyz/unity/stylized...rendering-docs/?section=transparent-materials

The same underlying code can be made into custom node for Amplify Shader Editor actually (see attached), which makes it very straightforward to incorporate into any Cozy shader (this is the fog sphere):
    upload_2023-7-10_15-51-7.png
    (This node is now included since version v1.1.0)

After which Cozy's fog is only visible above the water:
    upload_2023-7-10_15-51-35.png

Last edited: Nov 26, 2023
    Bwacky likes this.
  48. AndrewRoto

AndrewRoto

I'm getting this warning about the OpenStorePage function not existing. It doesn't appear to be a script define issue, but it is causing compilation issues. I have just pulled latest from the store. I added the above warning as well, these are the only items in the console. Is there a known or easy fix to this? I'm currently just going to comment out that button drawing in the UnderwaterRendererInspector as a temporary holdover
    upload_2023-7-11_12-42-7.png

49. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

If you're using the Underwater Rendering extension, please ensure you have v1.4.0 of the Stylized Water 2 base asset installed. As the current version (1.0.9) has dependencies on it.

50. AndrewRoto

AndrewRoto

Solved, thanks