Search Unity

Assets Stylized Substances

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Elzean, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Elzean

Elzean

I'm not sure there is much potential clients for this but here are some substance that hopefully will arrive in the store soon.
    Let me know if there is some substances you would be interested in and the style. Hopefully i will get better and make more of them :)

They are meant to generate what they are suppose to but there is a fair amount of options depending on the substance.

Stylized Stone Wall 01:

Stylized Pavement 01:

Fab4 and pcg like this.
  2. Elzean

Elzean

Stylized Wall 02:

alexanderameye likes this.
  3. Elzean

Elzean

Here is a stylized rock substance, should allow you to do various types rocks and metals like gold :)

4. Elzean

Elzean

So i'm trying to add the possibility to input your own normal so if you want to put my substance on your rock models and such you dont lose your original normal map.

Here is a free rock from the store with a normal map (left without and right with it):
    upload_2017-4-10_17-19-55.png

Now testing with the current substance im working on, i added an option to input your own normal which will be combine with the normal from the substance, also i added an option to tile the substance independently of your normal (otherwise if you use the tiling option inside the shader you will break your original normal):
    upload_2017-4-10_17-22-35.png

and the result on the rock(left wihout normal right with it):
    upload_2017-4-10_17-24-25.png

Might not be super obvious on this particular object but you get the point :p
    Also edge highlights and AO do take that new normal into account.

I will try to add this to the other rock substance after initial release, and will include the same system for futur substance when its relevant :)

5. zenGarden

zenGarden

Nice work.

Elzean likes this.
  6. Elzean

Elzean

Here is some screens of that last substance.

From Substance Designer:
    screen02.jpg

In Unity:
    img516.jpg
    screen.jpg

Lighting looks always better in Substance Designer :/

This can end up with an abstract look depending on the settings, you can also create some sort of sand stone.

7. Elzean

Elzean

The next one is a floor, there is a good bunch of options :)

img200.jpg

img1200.jpg

screen01.JPG

8. Elzean

Elzean

Im currently trying a substance which will be use to convert your rock to something kind of stylized using a normal map as input.

Here is a rock from one of manufactura 4k pack:
    upload_2017-4-11_18-30-51.png

After i add the substance it can look like this (there is lots of params to change the look):
    upload_2017-4-11_18-32-22.png

playing with the settings of the substance i could get various results, i still need to experiment a bit :p

Also i only take 1 normal as input for information about the model, so things like the gradient to have more sand in the bottom work depending on how the uvs are setup, otherwise you would have to settle for a bit of sand more randomly placed.

9. Elzean

Elzean

Here is a better comparison :)

10. zenGarden

zenGarden

How about a shader like progressive snow covering a rock ?

11. Elzean

Elzean

I think there is lots of good shaders that does that already, i myself use UBER shader. With a substance you can also make snow on the rock but it will not be dynamic like snow done with a shader. Substance can be regenerated, though, in my experience during runtime its usually too slow, but at the start of a level randomizing snow level with substances would be fine. On the other hand once its generated it cheaper to render i suppose.

The idea here is to recreate all the basic texture (albedo, metal, smoothness, normal) to change your current assets, here the rock, but you can then use a shader snow effect on top of it :p

In the end there is a limit to what a shader can do but if runtime changes is important thats the best solution, otherwise substance has no limit on mixing various effects.

Playing with the option i currently have in unity i can already make a snowy, i lose the sand though, i may do variants of the substance that would generate other type of rocks that this one may not do well (like lava). I will add the option in this substance as long as it doesn't modify the core focus of it :)

Here is a picture:
    upload_2017-4-11_20-15-5.png

12. Elzean

Elzean

Some other tests:
    upload_2017-4-11_23-15-9.png

13. Elzean

Elzean

I'm making a simple dust/smoke particle generator that can also be animated as spritesheet like show below. I know it can be usefull to me sometimes may be for others too, here are 2 examples:

upload_2017-4-12_15-32-40.png
    upload_2017-4-12_15-34-49.png

14. Elzean

Elzean

Here is an example in unity plugged into a particle system :)

upload_2017-4-12_17-0-51.png

15. Elzean

Elzean

Here animated:

16. Elzean

Elzean

Working on a new wall, it should let you make stylized wall that could fit different style (very flat colors or with some more details) :

upload_2017-4-13_20-27-41.png

17. Velcrohead

Velcrohead

Great work :) Been looking for something like this for a while!

Let me know when it goes live for your first sale!

Elzean likes this.
  18. Elzean

Elzean

Another screen:
    upload_2017-4-13_23-22-20.png

This one is taking more time than the others but i think i'm done, there is lots of options and i don't want to make it too much more complexe :p

19. Elzean

Elzean

Ok that last one is done and submit, here is another screenshot of what can be done with it. It was much longer than the other previous substance and the amount of options make it be a little bit harder to use, it's a trade of for all the possible output.

screen10.JPG

20. Elzean

Elzean

Current work in progress for a new pavement substance, more stylized than the previous wall:

upload_2017-4-14_18-15-36.png

21. Elzean

Elzean

I submit that new substance to the asset store, here is another screen with variations :)

img1200.jpg

22. Elzean

Elzean

WIP of the next one, it will be some stylized grass :)

screen02.JPG

23. Elzean

Elzean

24. Elzean

Elzean