Search Unity

Stuttering in Editor

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by deraggi, Jul 31, 2019.

1. deraggi

deraggi

I'm attempting to create a game trailer for my VR game on Unity 2017.1.1. As this is quite complicated to do, I'm relying on custom Editor Setups where I'm recording via a screen capture software from the play Window

However, my play view keeps stuttering. It's very small stutter, but still noticable. V-Sync is enabled and I've used "Maximize on Play", No Inspector is displayed

I've created a new scene where I animate camera movement using an animation. Stuttering seems to occur less than my full game, but it's still present and definitly noticable. It happens with or without the screen recording software running.

Nothing else is going on in this scene.

I've googled this and a couple people recommended disabling the second monitor. I did this with the same result.

It can be seen in this video around 2.7 seconds in, when the center sphere is about to hit the middle. You can see the Spheres jump a bit to the left in a single frame.

Any idea how I can improve this?

Thank you!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I would change your strategy to capturing from a standalone build you set up for this instead of the editor. Playing in the editor adds a lot of overhead, it lacks optimization that goes into a build, it includes lots of extra debugging stuff that doesn't go into a build, async functionality instead blocks the main thread, and a lot of multithreaded stuff in a build is single threaded when run in the editor. I think you're going to go down a rabbit hole of wasted time trying to get smooth editor playback, because it is specifically not designed for that.

deraggi likes this.
  3. deraggi

deraggi

Thank you Joe, that’s the input I needed. I’ll reevaluate my approach.

Joe-Censored likes this.