Search Unity

Question Stutter in head tracking in Oculus Quest

Discussion in 'VR' started by carcasanchez, Mar 3, 2021.

1. carcasanchez

carcasanchez

Hello, friends!
    Lately, I have seen some jitter problems when using Oculus Quest, like the image goes a frame backwards sometimes. It just happens when moving the head back and forth, and it's more noticeable the faster you move (and its completely unnoticeable when you are static). Doesn't apply to objects moving, just the image when the camera displaces quickly. Framerate is always over 69, so doesn't seem it's tied to fps.
    I have been testing, and the effect seems stronger when the scene is populated by a lot of objects (but happens in low-density scenarios too). Doesn't seem tied to common settings like TextQuality or Antialiasing. I have found little information in the web, and I have followed all guides I could find.
    Has anyone experienced this issue?
    I post my Quality and Player settings here, to see if someone could give me a hint about what could be happening.
    Thanks!

upload_2021-3-3_16-12-15.png upload_2021-3-3_16-13-38.png
    upload_2021-3-3_16-23-29.png

2. Proto-G

Proto-G

Mine was occurring based on this VRRenderScale script applied to a few assets...
    I suggest narrowing down assets in your scene...

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using UnityEngine.XR;
    4. public class VRRenderScale : MonoBehaviour
    5. {
    6.     public float ResScale = 1.5f;
    8.     void Start()
    9.     {
    10.         XRSettings.eyeTextureResolutionScale = (ResScale);
    11.     }
    12. }

3. carcasanchez

carcasanchez

Hi, I have aready tried that, no results whatsoever

4. Proto-G

Proto-G

Again found an issues with mine being large UI. I'll be breaking them up into multiple UI and optimizing each. Hope you get it figured out...

5. Proto-G

Proto-G

Wait... try untick Optimize Buffer Discards (Vulkan)

JamesArndt likes this.
  6. carcasanchez

carcasanchez

No luck. I also tried to record a video, but the result was smooth, in contrast with the reality.
    I also isolated the culprit, the problem is more noticeable when there are a lot of skinned meshes in screen. Strangely, FPS are rock solid 72 always.
    I will post a bug thread, because this is driving me crazy.

7. AndyMorrin

AndyMorrin

Did you ever solve this issue? I am noticing this weird jitter and I can’t seem to figure it out. I tested on a basic scene with a plane and a cube and I still have the same problem - it’s not the headset tracking that’s jittering, it’s stationary objects such as the cube or UI.

ak4514768 likes this.