Search Unity

Stunt Car Racer type racing game

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by sesamiam, Nov 11, 2012.

1. sesamiam

sesamiam

Hey all.

I´ve been doing some Unity stuff for a moment now (started earlier this year), using my spare time to develop this project so its not developing in too high speed atm. And Im not expert in scripting or programming at all but Ive managed to get to this point with a lots of googling and stuff like that.

The idea of this so called racing game is something like good´ol Stunt Car Racer. Not actually directly trying to be like it but sharing some of the ideas there and maybe adding few of my own.

So far I have raw menus for it (main menu, track select menu), laptimer, lapcounter (you can control the race lenght), respawn points (if the car happens to fall off from the track).
    Car physics are made with Unitycar package and I should be updating this project with Unitycar 2.1 Pro assets which gives some new possibilities to add competitive affecting features.
    Im planning to get some sort of multiplayer system for this in the future, at least direct connect, maybe even host/server stuff, we´ll see.

Anyways heres few screenshots and video to show you whats this all about. Feedback is welcome.

Oh and the name of the game is template so dont take it too seriously. :)

$as1.jpg
    $as2.jpg

2. lazygunn

lazygunn

Hah! I love it! I was thinking of doing exactly the same myself not long ago but realised i was spreading myself too thin, you have quite an accurate homage going there, i'm looking fowards to seeing the damage indicator

Have you had it working out with the large jumps like in the later levels of the original?

3. sesamiam

sesamiam

Atm it seems to be quite unstable when the jump ends but it seems that it depends how you drive to the jump but cannot yet compare it to the behavior of the original SCR.
    So far I have only this one track but I really should take time to standardize track elements so I could build some more tracks to test with. Physics are quite nice atm, can even play with keyboard. I think the suspension might need a tweak so it doesnt do any weird stuff when the jump ends :D

Oh and havent had yet thought about the damage :)

4. lazygunn

lazygunn

I'd say you'd definitely have to get it tweaked for big jumps cause well, i may be alone in this but they wee the thrilll of the game for me, real vertigo moments. I don't know how you might emulate that quite exagerrated behaviour with unitycar but i wish you luck with it!

5. sesamiam

sesamiam

Sure theres going to be big jumps :)
    But yeah might be tricky to tweak it right but the code is there so I can add/remove what it needs.

6. sesamiam

sesamiam

Well there has been few moments that Ive been able to spend some time to continue this project.

Changed the game name now: WORLD OF RAMPS (WoR) :)

http://www.worldoframps.com

Also changed menu graphics a bit, cleaned and sorted my messy project files, added wip damage bar for the car and did this nice little track called Little Ramp (still wip). Also updated car´s engine mesh a bit. Also enabled DX11 mode and I think that those sun shafts are kinda nice.
    Car is a bit tricky to handle with keyboard. Maybe should smoothen out the track surface some more so it wont affect the car to do some unexpected behaviour:rolleyes:

Heres few pics and I´ll post new video asap.

$2.jpg
    $1.jpg

7. sesamiam

sesamiam

Latest video.

8. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

I always found the strunt-racing games in some ways more fun than the straight-up `realistic` race games, and never at all appreciated any of the `drives like a real car with real physics` games. ... Going off stunts and jumps and loop-de-loops etc is much more fun to me. So good luck with this... although my only gripe is I don't like the game's name at all.. the `angry` part makes no sense to me and it sounds weird joined with `stunts` because `stunts` don't have feelings. I'd maybe go with like `super stunts` or something catchy. Other than that I think you're onto a good thing.

9. sesamiam

sesamiam

Hehe I did meantion in my post that I changed the name to "World of Ramps" so nothing angry there anymore :)

10. embero

embero

Do you want to give us some insights into the Audio part? It sounds like you are using multiple sound samples for the engine's rpm spectrum.
    I'm trying to get an audio demo up with Unity and Sonory sound samples (around 60 files for 1000 - 8000 rpm). But everytime when the sample switches for the next rpm-set i hear a little crack with some stutter.

Any help would be appreciated :)

11. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

I recommend not calling it world of ramps, that's boring, because then you're trying to get people interested in `ramps`, like, as if ramps are super cool. That's not what you're selling. You're not selling the game world or the jumps or the stunts.. you're selling fun.. you need to capture that thrill in the name.

12. sesamiam

sesamiam

Since the game is using Unitycar package it also uses its sound controller script. One sound for ´engine rev on´ and one for ´engine rev off´ (throttle release). Also there is transmission ´whine´ sound playing, not very loud though.
    I was suggesting to Michele (creator of Unitycar) that he would add at least 3slots for engine rev on samples. This is the way it is done in rFactor for example which makes the engine sound rev kinda smoothly. But for my game I got quite good samples from one professional guy who makes sounds for racing games and I think it works fairly well for my uses with one rev up and one rev release samples.

And for your crack/stutter problem I dunno if this works for you but I had crack problem for single sound that was played many times at the same time (randomly pitched) so I googled a little and someone was suggesting that turn off any panning from the audio source which then seemed to work out for me.

13. sesamiam

sesamiam

I feel that I´m creating limited world with ramps and jumps which is going to be fun for sure so I don´t feel that the name is boring at all, maybe the name is just wanting to be a little bit magnificent. :) Of course name of the game might be important matter but are people buying games for the names or for the content.

14. sesamiam

sesamiam

Not much going on atm. Been thinking about ideas and features to add. Maybe longer races, possibly with at least 2-3 other racers, fuel consumption, some kind of pitlane system (drive through) and things like that. Also have been testing some kind of "night race" mode which I think might look nice if the scene would be set out good.

I still should start looking on multiplayer (network) stuff but really dont know yet where to start. I will post some new stuff when I get it done.

15. sesamiam

sesamiam

Decided to do script for blurring the tire treads while the speed increases and the other way around. Changing the main texture and the bump map.

Heres a video about it, not the greatest quality but maybe you get the picture.

16. sesamiam

sesamiam

I also build Linux version yesterday and it seems to work very well there so other platforms are really possible..

17. sesamiam

sesamiam

Finally got some basic AI working and it even stays on the track most of the time :)
    AI Car is following waypoint objects and theres also braking and acceleration points there. Its also using the same physics (Unitycar) as player car.

Tested how is it to race against this guy and must say that AI is kinda in "Division 1/Whizz Kid" level or maybe Im just a slow driver.

Heres a video about AI doing some laps at Little Ramp.

Next I think I have to sort Occulsion Culling to get the game run smoother for lower level machines.

18. adaz

adaz

Hi sesamiam, is this project still WIP? Are you developing it? It's really awesome!!! Thanks!

19. lukeluzardo

lukeluzardo

sesamiam when i opened your world of ramps site i get this Desktop Screenshot 2019.05.31 - 16.43.18.08.png

20. lukeluzardo

lukeluzardo

Can you Give me The full version of this game

21. lukeluzardo

lukeluzardo

Sesamiam can i have your stunt car game please