Search Unity

Stuff to improve workflow.... just ideas

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by calmcarrots, Mar 11, 2015.

1. calmcarrots

calmcarrots

These are ideas that need to be implemented in the next update. Honestly, workflow would be a thousand times better!!

1. Have an option in the for the scene view to follow the camera around during playtime. This is especially useful in 2D endless games. It is very hard to keep play the game and shift the scene over just to look at the player and any of it's Debug lines.

2. Option to adjust game view window to the current resolution it is set to view as. When I am making an app, I want to see how the game would look on the if it were actual size. Right now, when I do this manually, the UI scales in a weird way, I get gray bars which are annoying, and it is just unintiutive. If there was a button to make the game view window scale to actual pixels, that would be great.

3. There should be an option that changes the UI when the game is playing. For example, when I press play, I would like the console to move to the right, along with the Inspector. That's my preference, and this would be great because it would be easier on a 2 monitor display. We can already set how the UI looks when we are developing, but there should be an option to change the UI (based on the settings that we saved) when we press the play button. You could have a subsection in the pick UI button titled "UI when playing". This would be so cool and helpful.

Thanks unity

Rodolfo-Rubens likes this.
  2. randomperson42

randomperson42

Unity already has something similar for #1. In the scene view press F (focus) twice while playing to lock on a gameobject.

angrypenguin and calmcarrots like this.
  3. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Thats cool, although totally unheard of and obscure... lol ... would be nice to have a button or something

I like idea 3 also... i have a big enough screen to view a full-size game while having space left and would like to see the inspector and maybe hierarchy window + console at the same time. Or a layout that just has the game and the profiler

4. bigdaddy

bigdaddy

There is an asset in the Asset Store (xARM) that does basically what you want.

5. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

3 would be cool for single-screen setups. Personally I put the Game view on another monitor.

I'd also love better game view controls, though I think that 2 is already at least partly covered? You can hit the + and add a custom resolution, then shrink the Game window to get rid of the grey borders if required. What I'd love is if you could have non-1:1 rendering in the Game view. For instance, even on my 27" screen I can't display a portrait Retina iPad. I'd love if it could render to an off-screen buffer, then display that buffer at the biggest size possible, or optionally display it at 1:1.

calmcarrots likes this.
  6. calmcarrots

calmcarrots

Yes but is it really worth it to buy it, then have to reimport it every project? This should be a native feature honestly.

I did not know that, thanks for letting me know!

7. calmcarrots

calmcarrots

Exactly. We don't wanna see the profiler when we arent playing! And if you tab out of it just to develop, you always have to tab into all the screens you want to see during gameplay. That is annoying and something that I do not want to focus on.