Search Unity

Official [study is complete] Unity wants to better understand your C# debugging needs

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by rossb_unity, Oct 27, 2020.

1. rossb_unity

rossb_unity

Unity Technologies

Hello!

This study is complete. Thank you everyone for your responses and input!

We are looking to better understand your C# debugging needs and would like for you to take the following survey

This survey typically takes about 15 minutes to complete consists of 4 parts:
    1) Questions about your role and company
    2) Questions relating to your code editor use
    3) Questions about your debugging experience
    4) Questions about how satisfied you are with your debugging experience

[The study is complete]

Thank you for your time and feel free to email rossb@unity3d.com if you have any questions

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    Warrior5738 likes this.
  2. RealHandy

RealHandy

3. sand_lantern

sand_lantern

I elaborated on this more in my survey response, but it would be really neat to be able to set easy debug points that way for some in game trigger like a keypress. Right now I have a script that manages it, but it requires a recompile in order to move my manual breakpoint.

4. Thethispointer

Thethispointer

how about just a really good tutorial series on the subject

5. Warrior5738

Warrior5738

I would like to know how to actually code, I am doing a project for my online school, can someone help?

Thethispointer likes this.
  6. Vryken

Vryken

It would be best to look up tutorials on just general C# programming outside of Unity, then later return to Unity when you understand the fundamentals of object-oriented programming.

Here's something that may help:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGLfVvz_LVvRX6xK1oi0reKci6ignjdSa

PraetorBlue likes this.
  7. Baste

Baste

The only real problem I have with debugging is that Unity very occasionally freezes when I turn off the debugger. No idea what causes it, and it's seldom enough that I don't worry much, but it can be annoying.

Debugging stuff both in the editor and in development builds (from Rider) generally works pretty great. I have some complaints, but those are on Rider's side, not the Unity side.

8. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

I submitted the survey, but I'd also like to share my two main points publicly:

1) Debugging must be robust (Visual Studio used to fail at attaching to Unity so many times in the past, Rider is much better, but connecting to an external player can still be a chore).
    2) Debuggers should integrate more deeply with Unity, for example, allow investigating the state of all GameObjects in the scene when a breakpoint is hit.

9. Thethispointer

Thethispointer