Search Unity

Student products on a commercial news site

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kragh, May 13, 2019.

1. Kragh

Kragh

I teach students how to use Unity, and sometimes we even collaborate with external people. So how does the free license cover if these external people then wants to showcase the student's work?

One group has made a fighting game, that has ties to the next election round, and a news site wants to have it running (WebGL) on their site. Obviously we are not getting any payment for this (And it will be free to play on the site as well), but the site has adds on it, and is very much commercial in nature. So how do one judge the whole "Revenue" question? From the site running the game, or from the group (Students) having made it?
    I don't have the insight or knowledge to decipher what the implications are from what I can read about licenses... I teach programming, not law :D

2. sxa

sxa

Proper Education licenses are Pro licenses, so that might be the best way to go...

https://unity.com/education/license-grant-program

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  3. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

As far as I understand, you shouldnt be doing that without a proper educational license. Is unity installed at the school officially, or just on your own laptop? Either way I still think contacting unity directly about this rather than over the forum is best way to go in case you are at a fault with their licensing. They are nice and understanding staff, I am sure they will help.

4. Kragh

Kragh

Got it... :) Contacted Unity just after I wrote this, as I decided whatever answer I would get here, I would still need it confirmed. And they as well told me I needed educational licenses. Took over this job 4 months ago, and just continued their way of doing it. Now we are in the process of doing it right :)

Mauri, Kiwasi, angrypenguin and 2 others like this.
  5. kientructayho

kientructayho

Educational license I think it is mandatory. Do not rush, consider carefully