Search Unity

Student looking for help trying to propose the idea of having a unity class at my High School

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by ElijahHoda, Feb 14, 2018.

1. ElijahHoda

ElijahHoda

I am a student of Westhampton Beach High School and i would like to start a unity class there. I am trying to look for ways to make starting the class look appealing and possible but i am having some trouble finding examples and such. if anyone could help out or give tips that would be great and they would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

How are you having trouble finding examples? Go to Unity Learn/Tutorials area there are many examples there with everything you need and for all levels of expertise. Just pick a few. And if you want the class to be as appealing as possible, watch a few of Unity's Live Trainings, they are always fun. Here is a 3-day seminar of how to make a hover racing game that is going on now: This is Yesterday's (1st) session

3. Owen-Reynolds

Owen-Reynolds

I'd start with forming a Game Design club. I assume you'd need a teacher to be the advisor, which would give a chance to see what faculty was interested in something like that. Would also see what things other kids are interested in, and maybe demonstrate there should be a class (or that there shouldn't be one.)

The lots of other things to think about. Unity is a game engine, and just one. The school will ask "why not UnReal?" And "is Game Design really class-worthy?" Are there any similar non-Academic classes? There are also lots of parts to game design: 3D modeling and using GiMP/photoshop to make assets (which will work for _any_ game engine, including Unity) is sort of like Art or graphic design.

Scripting is really just computer programming, and it's best to learn it for real if you're going to learn it all. So a "Unity" class could easily be a standard computer programming class. Your school system probably has a Java class somewhere. Learning programming using C# in Unity is about as good (both are sort of pain to get started with, but in theory making a game gives more fun options.) I'm pretty happy with how the taxesforcatses-dot-com site covers programming using Unity (but it doesn't have any homework problems.) You can teach a serious general-purpose coding class using Unity, and it's one of few game engines suited for it.

But that's a whole 'nother discussion with the school. Do they want to teach a second coding class, pretty much the same as the Java one? Do they have that many instructors who even know it? Many schools are dropping Java, but often switching (I think) to Python or C++. C# in Unity seems like a hard sell.

Even if your school has a liberal policy on 1-off experimental electives, and someone can be found to teach it (WestHampton Beach sounds flush with cash, but what do I know) there are many, many things a class like that could cover. In fact, a style I've seen is more "team management," where everyone knows/figures-out their technical skills, and working to make a project (specs, milstones, vertical slice, scrums ... ) is most of the class.