Search Unity

Stuck with ECS and reference ICompontentData

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by MrRobinOfficial, Jun 23, 2020.

1. MrRobinOfficial

MrRobinOfficial

Hi, I'm currently working on a project with Unity ECS code. I have now come to a stop with some problem. The problem is that I need to get two different component data from different entity, however same root parent.

For an example:

WheelSystem -> ref WheelData wheel, in VehicleData vehicle

Vehicle: (VehicleData ) (Entity)

- Body (Entity)

- Wheels (Entity)

- FrontLeft:Wheel (WheelData ) (Entity)

In Monobehavior answer would be GetComponentInChildren, right? So how does this work in ECS? I also tried of just linking Entity on IComponentData, which work. However if I Instance prefab with same data, I also need to re-link entity from the beginning. Is there more simpler way or smarter way?

2. Micz84

Micz84

3. RoughSpaghetti3211

RoughSpaghetti3211

Something it’s useful to create your game object as you usually would with collider children etc and then drag it into a sub scenes to see how it was converted , even a mock-up of what you want and dragging it into a sub scene can show child parents linked components etc.

4. MrRobinOfficial

MrRobinOfficial

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  5. Micz84

Micz84

It depends, you should avoid updating using a reference to other entity. For spinning, I would use separate system.

6. MrRobinOfficial

MrRobinOfficial

Got it working, thanks. Little bit complicated, but it's working. My ideal with this game it would run around 50-200 vehicles at same time (traffic simulation), as well player vehicle. That's why I need to convert Monobehaviour into DOTS.