Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Stuck on "Resolving Packages"

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by TheDewey, Aug 7, 2018.

1. TheDewey

TheDewey

So, I'm running into a few issues. trying to get everything upgraded to 20182.2 before we start a new project. This is a pervasive issue that we have not been able to get to work. Most of the time we are getting the error.

[Package Manager] Failed to resolve packages: Cannot connect to Unity Package Manager local server. No packages loaded.

We have tried a few of the solutions provided in the older post, for a few days now. none of them seem to work and allow us to pull down packages. this is a log from one of the machines. thanks in advance for any help.

Editor Log
    https://pastebin.com/X6wGAqHE

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    Efril and d1favero like this.
  2. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Hi @TheDewey,

There is a list of solutions that I posted on *answers.unity.com*: http://answers.unity.com/answers/1476168/view.html

Have you tried all of them?

Can you share the content of the *upm.log* that is located at the same place as the *editor.log*?

It seems there is something on your machine that blocks http connection on

Regards,

Pascal

3. TheDewey

TheDewey

Yes, I tried a good amount of the items on that list. the ones I was comfortable doing. I'll go back and revisit them to be safe.

1. (upm-win.exe on Windows or upm-macos on macOS) Virus scanner(Symantic End Point) has been turned off and has been removed for some computers.
    2. We don't have a proxy server
    3. for now, the Windows defender firewall has been turned off. but we did go ahead and whitelist the applications to be safe.

as for the 127.0.0.1 connection. I misunderstood one of the threads and accidentally block the localhost in the "hosts" file. I have changed that back.

as for the UPM Log

{"level":"info","message":"Starting Server","timestamp":"2018-08-08T14:30:16.450Z"}
    {"level":"info","message":"Health Request received","timestamp":"2018-08-08T14:30:22.642Z"}

4. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

The UPM log show the process was started fine. So there is really something that prevents connection between the editor process and the Upm process.

5. TheDewey

TheDewey

Great to know! I apologize for my lack of technical skill. I did run through the list of items like you had provided. Here is an updated log, maybe I missed something.

https://pastebin.com/p9f6YT5i

am unsure of how to troubleshoot the connection between the editor process and ump process.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  6. TheDewey

TheDewey

Some good news and some weird news.

Good News
    1. I did get 2018.2.3f1 to work with one of the computers (1 of 8). I had to do a few things to make that happen.
      1. Uninstall Unity Hub 18.1.

2. I had to allow both node js things through the Windows Defender Fire Wall
        1. C:\Program Files\Unity\2018.2.3f1\Editor\Data\Tools\nodejs\node.exe
        2. C:\Program Files\Unity\2018.2.3f1\Editor\Data\Resources\PackageManager\Server\upm-win.exe
      3. restart the machine

4. Let "Resolving Packages" do its thing. it took about 10 minutes.
    2. As for 2018.2.2f1, repeating the steps above does not work.

3. 2017.4.9f1 , using the step above works.

4. Unity Hub does not work, at all. on some machines, the latest office releases are capped at different releases.

Weird News

So with 2018.2.3 working. I ran into some weird things. It couldn't find some of the packages I was expecting (The SVG package, 2D Pixel Perfect, and the 2D stuff); it gave an error that it could not find those. I had to go into the Package Manifest and remove the dependencies manually.

I tried to download them again, from the Package Manager Window but that took about 2 hours. I went to lunch it looked like this.

Came back from lunch looking at this, and it seems like it missing a few things.

A confusing part was the "Loading Packages indicator". It would only move if the Unity Editor was focused. it could have been loading those packages in the background, but I wasn't willing to take that chance. So I couldn't do anything until it stopped.

I'm glad to have it working this much again, but I'm afraid to touch anything else with getting some other thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

7. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Hi @TheDewey,

Here are some comments about your good news:

1. Difference between 2018.2.3f1 and 2018.2.2f1is that we fixed the issue that was probably affecting you. There was a two minutes timeout that we were not aware of in the communication between Unity and the package manager process. This was discovered after some people under really slow internet reported issues. It seems to be your case since you are reporting a 10 minutes resolve time! This is really really slow :(

2. Yes, the fix is probably not in 2018.2.2f1

3. The fix was backported in the 2017.4 LTS release

4. Would you mind reporting the Hub issue in the proper channel? (https://forum.unity.com/forums/unity-hub-preview.142/). That would be really appreciated!

... and weird news:

Your internet speed is really really slow. We want to improve download feedback in future release. We will show a progression bar for any package download or server requests. In the mean time, I would suggest you try to understand why you internet connection is so slow. Is this only for Unity Package Manager? Where are you located in the world? (Sadly some part of the world are affected by really poor internet connection).

This is nice progress and we have a better understanding of the issue. Thank you for reporting back with all this great detail!

Regards,

Pascal

8. TheDewey

TheDewey

4. Will Do!

as for my internet speed. I have a pretty fast university connection. is there a port or something I should be looking into. I'm located in the central part of the US. and I have don't have any bandwidth limiters on. and yes, this only seems to be the case for the Package manager. getting stuff from the Asset store is also really fast.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  9. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Wow! That is indeed a pretty fast internet connection :) The selected port for communication between Unity and the package manager is randomly selected. It is usually in the upper range. Between 50000-ish and 65000-ish. But it feels like the problem is between the Package Manager and the internet. We need to figure out what else could slow down the connection between `https://packages.unity.com` and your computer!

10. TheDewey

TheDewey

Is there anything else I should do to check on this speed issue?

11. TheDewey

TheDewey

I've been poking and prodding at this for a while now. Is there a way to double check these packages and working the way they should be?

Or a way to download them without the Package manager interface?

12. TheDewey

TheDewey

I had a smarter guy come and look at the issue today. We were able to run the
    Code (csharp):
    1. E:\Program Files\Unity\2018.2.3f1\Editor\Unity.exe -enablePackageManagerTraces
    suggested from the other forum posts. and pull some information. I am unsure if it helps, but this is what we found.

We narrowed what we believe the current issue down this request. "http://127.0.0.1:53605/packman/packages?resolve=true". it takes 5 minutes every time. on the REST tester, it completes the JSON object fine, but on the Editor log it only makes it a third of the way through the packages and gives an incomplete JSON object.

editor Log https://pastebin.com/RXCiyAcP

13. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Can you try offline? I mean, if your project opened and everything is set. You should be able reload the project offline. In this scenario, there is no access to the internet. Everything is local. I would be curious to see if it still takes 5 minutes in that context.

14. TheDewey

TheDewey

yeah, with no internet it ran through it extremely quick. not even a second.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  15. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Ok. So clearly this is a problem between the package manager process and the internet. The process tries to reach `https://packages.unity.com`. Can you test the speed of the connection between the server and your computer? Maybe a ping call?

16. TheDewey

TheDewey

We tried this earlier today and we couldn't get past what appears to be a cloud service.

thanks for being patient with us. really appreciate it

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.16299.611]
    (c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

P:\>ping https://packages.unity.com
    Ping request could not find host https://packages.unity.com. Please check the name and try again.

P:\>ping packages.unity.com

Pinging bintray.com [108.168.194.93] with 32 bytes of data:
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 108.168.194.93:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

P:\>tracert packages.unity.com

Tracing route to bintray.com [108.168.194.93]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 172.16.140.2
    2 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 198.102.159.3
    3 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 156.110.24.160
    4 15 ms 1 ms 3 ms 164.58.15.77
    5 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 164.58.245.59
    6 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 164.58.245.54
    7 3 ms 3 ms 3 ms 164.58.244.14
    8 3 ms 3 ms 3 ms 164.58.244.45
    9 3 ms 3 ms 3 ms et-8-0-0.301.rtsw.tuls.net.internet2.edu [198.71.47.80]
    10 8 ms 8 ms 8 ms equinix-dallas.transitrail.net [206.223.118.32]
    11 8 ms 9 ms 8 ms te1-5.bbr01.eq01.dal01.networklayer.com [206.223.118.24]
    12 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms ae6.dar02.dal05.networklayer.com [50.97.18.193]
    13 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms po2.fcr03.sr03.dal05.networklayer.com [173.192.118.145]
    14 * * * Request timed out.
    15 * * * Request timed out.
    16 * * * Request timed out.
    17 *

17. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

18. TheDewey

TheDewey

yes, really fast in chrome

19. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

And you have the issue on both macOS and Windows?

20. TheDewey

TheDewey

yes, it seems to be affecting our macs as well.

21. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

ok.

Can I ask you to run a nodeJS script locally?

Code (JavaScript):
    1. const http = require('http')
    3. const options = {
    4.   hostname: 'packages.unity.com',
    5.   port: 80,
    6.   path: '/com.unity.package-manager-ui',
    7. }
    9. const req = http.request(options, (res) => {
    10.   res.setEncoding('utf8')
    11.   res.on('data', (chunk) => {
    12.     console.log(`BODY: ${chunk}`)
    13.   })
    14.   res.on('end', () => {
    15.     console.log('Request completed')
    16.   })
    17. })
    19. req.on('error', (e) => {
    20.   console.error(`problem with request: ${e.message}`)
    21. })
    23. req.end()
    - Copy the code snippet above in a file (ex: resolve.js)
    - Please make sure (if possible) to install and run nodeJS 8.9.0
    - Run the script like this:
    node resolve.js

This would be really helpful to determine if the issue is specific to Unity Package Manager or nodeJS on your machine.

Thank you for your patience!

Pascal

22. TheDewey

TheDewey

I got the smart guy from down the hall to help me with his. We ran the script and it took less than a second. it was almost instant. don't know if you need these but here are the results.

https://pastebin.com/ZHSsk1GS

23. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Yes. It helps! It narrows down the possible cause. I'm re-reading your posts. And there is one thing I did not grasp the first time I read it. When you say this:
    Do you mean that using the *Rest tester*, the operation completes and is also fast?

Again, thank you very much for your patience and collaboration!

Pascal

24. TheDewey

TheDewey

No, Sorry for the confusion. Using that link on the *Rest Tester* took 5 minutes to complete, consistently. if you look at that image again, next to the "200 OK" response, you see the time at "300138.90 ms"

25. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Ok. Thanks. I missed the timing in the image.

With all the information we have in our hands, everything seems to point to a problem on your local machine when reaching out the `127.0.0.1` address. Reaching the registry server through *Chrome* or another *nodejs* application is super fast. I'm left to believe that should be the case for the UnityPackageManager process too. This last hypothesis is not 100% proven but our test with the `resolve.js` script then to confirm this hypothesis.

The next thing we can try is to host a dumb server locally and reach through the `127.0.0.1` ip at a random port from your Rest Tester application. If this is slow for that too, this may help.

If you have Python installed on your computed it is super simple to start an http server.

python -m SimpleHttpServer 53605

And the try to open
    http://127.0.0.1:53605

Note that I'm voluntary suggesting that you use the same port range that Unity uses.

I'm sorry, I'm starting to be out of ideas here :(

Pascal

26. TheDewey

TheDewey

were running into an issue trying to get this going. We can't get python 2 to work at all and python 3 won't bind the URL.

27. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

28. TheDewey

TheDewey

Ran it on 2 ports 53605 and 62629 (Unity 2018.2.4f1), and both were able to load pages very quickly.

29. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

So the issue is targeted only to Package Manager process. Really looks like an antivirus issue.

30. TheDewey

TheDewey

So I triple checked the anti-virus issue. I uninstalled Symantec, and turn off all windows defender. the issue still prevails. I'm going to load up a laptop that has the same here issue here at the office see if works better on a different network.

As a note, other cloud services, such as Dropbox, Google, MS enterprise and Adobe work. I wonder whats so different about the package manager that makes this so hard.

31. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

I see. I'm really sorry about this. It is hard for me to to debug this issue from a distance. We have issue like yours being reported from time to time but we usually find a resolution to the problem. Together, we have been over all the possible known causes of this issue. We are planning to develop a diagnostic/debug tools in the coming month to help people troubleshoot this kind of errors.

Please let me know the results of your test with your laptop.

Regards,

Pascal

32. TheDewey

TheDewey

Tried it at home. it grabbed everything, it was supposed. So that rules out domain policies and user account restrictions.

I contacted my IT department to see if there anything we do about on the network.

Thanks for your help. I'll keep you posted and I do want to know about those diagnostic tools. as we are pretty much stuck with 2017.4 until we figure this out. We are missing out on so much cool stuff, you guys are working so hard on.

33. TheDewey

TheDewey

My IT Department is having troubles determining the IP or URL it should be calling out to. The only thing they are seeing in the traffic logs is unity3d.com and unitystore.com. Is something more specific we should look for in the traffic?

34. TheDewey

TheDewey

Still waiting on my IT department to get back to me. Tried something stupid. Seems that a standard free VPN allows the unity package manager to work as it should.

35. TheDewey

TheDewey

ok, so I'm back. IT got back to me. They think they got it narrowed down to an "SSL Inspection" and thats causing some sort of a break. They wanted to know if you have any solutions to....i'll paste the email.

"We have narrowed it down to SSL inspection causing the connection to break. Can you please ask the forum what version of TLS is used by default? Also, if they have any recommendations or “fixes” for users behind a firewall doing SSL inspection. Maybe they have run into this before."

36. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Hi @TheDewey ,

Sorry. We have a couple of issues that we fixed in the last months that could help with your problem. We discovered a bug when users are behind a closed network. I think this is your situation right? The bug fix is not yet available though.

But, we also had other users with issues similar to yours (SSL issues). They solved the problem by whitelisting a couple of domain names in their firewall rules. The following domain names need to be accessible (whitelisted in the company firewall rules, if required) for Unity Package Manager to work:

Can you ask your IT guys to set this up? Maybe that will fix your issue? The next step would be to test the alpha pre-release of 2019.1. It will contain the fix I mentioned above: https://unity3d.com/beta/2019.1a .

Thank you for your patience!

Regards,

Pascal

37. TheDewey

TheDewey

I did try the 2019.1.0a8 build. didn't work, but it seems like you guys added some more information to your errors. so thats something

38. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Hi,

This really looks like a firewall issue. Can you ask your IT team to look at whitelisting the domain names I listed in my previous comment?

Regards,

Pascal

39. Kortizon

Kortizon

I have the same issue with version 2018.3.11f1. Once I had a running version of Unity 2018.2.13f1. I setup 2018.3.11f1 along older version and i got this error.
    -Setup location was different.(i have installed a ssd).
    Then i formatted my computer (just for Unity :(), setup my system on ssd but after i got unity 2018.3.11f i still face that issue. I have another computer running on the same server w/ same version 2018.3.11f works properly.
    upload_2019-4-10_15-3-6.png

40. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

41. Kortizon

Kortizon

@okcompute_unity
    1) I have changed my username to "hakki genc"
    2) Configured cache to a location step.
    Result: I don't receive message i posted before. But unity editor still shows error message that it can't reach packeges online.
    upload_2019-4-11_12-21-28.png

42. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

43. Kortizon

Kortizon

I am still on it. I re-formatted my computer and got some issues. After I resolve everything I will inform you. @okcompute_unity

44. Kortizon

Kortizon

I am sending them as .txt because your system didn't accept .log

Attached Files:

45. Kortizon

Kortizon

46. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

@Kortizon, you are behind a proxy which requires a self-signed certificate. Sadly, it is not yet possible to configure your custom CA certificate with UPM at the moment. This is a feature we will introduce in 2019.2. In the meantime, can you try reaching out the non-SSL url?

Add this line to your project manifest (
    /Packages/manifest.json
    ):

"registry": "http://packages.unity.com",

Regards,

Pascal

47. t-heo

t-heo

Same issue still exists when trying to update Vuforia.

carloscoding likes this.
  48. DeadPixelGaming

DeadPixelGaming

Try this fix I saw on SO:

Go to windows firewall -> Advanced Settings -> Inbound rules - > Create new Rule-> type: program -> Complete path to the unity editor(Mine is "C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2020.1.12f1\Editor\Unity.exe") -> Allow Connections -> Give it a name -> Save.

Worked for me flawlessly:)

49. Elijahdanie

Elijahdanie

Please if you are downloading packages under the guise of resolving them, kindly print that on the dialogue when the editor is opening. i've been wiating forever on resolving packages when it was actually downloading them.

DBarlok likes this.
  50. Azlandin

Azlandin

T
    Thanks this worked for me aswell

davidmclaughlin234 likes this.