Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Stuck on "Connecting to license server" [SOLVED]

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by tnaseem, Oct 28, 2014.

1. tnaseem

tnaseem

Just installed Unity 5.0 beta side by side with 4.5.5. However, on loading 5.0, it gets stuck on the dialog stating "Connecting to License Server", and it's 'beach balling' (Mac OS X 10.10). CPU is also at 60% with the fans going berserk!

Screenshot1_zpse6293526_png_Photo_by_WearyKnight___Photobucket.jpg

Unity 4.5.5 still works fine, as expected. As a test, I tried doing things with it's license (updating, etc) and it works fine. So, the system can get to the License Server, just that Unity 5.0 is having issues and getting stuck.

Not a firewall problem, and internet access is fine. Restarting (force quit), and rebooting makes no difference.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas.

Cheers,
    Tarique.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  2. tnaseem

tnaseem

Anyone?

I've tried removing the existing license for My Unity 4 Pro (in /Library/Unity/Unity_v4.x.uif), but it makes no difference. As a side note, when I now run Unity 4, it contacts the license server fine and I can relicense that. But Unity 5 is still stuck on that same "connecting to license server".

Can anyone at Unity offer some advice?

Edit: Also tried creating a new user account, and uninstalling and installing there. In that user account, I get a different dialog on load 'Error: Could not write license loader html.' Back to my other user, and it's the same hang in 'Connecting to License Server" dialog.

I've now tried as much as I can to get around this issue (deleting caches, etc). But still can't get it to load up. (Unity 4.5.5 still works fine.)

Need help, Unity peeps!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  3. tnaseem

tnaseem

Update 2:

After rebooting, I finally managed to get to the screen where I can enter my serial number (but only on the new test user account I set up).

I then logged out and into my actual account to see if it would work. It now loads up, but gives me a new error:

"Fatal error! GetManagerFromContext: pointer to object of manager '(null)' is NULL (table index 5)"

Pressing Alt and re-starting (to make sure it's not loading an older project) gives the same result.

Unity_5_0_0b9.jpg

Clicking Quit, it then hangs.

Sigh...

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  4. orb

orb

It looks a bit like your main account has issues. Try fixing permissions in Disk Utility, check that your main user account has the right group (staff), hunt down the licence files and delete them, deactivate both Unity versions from the website. Also known as the tactical nuclear option :)

Orbital nuke option: Rename your account, make a new one, give it admin access and migrate your data to it.

5. tnaseem

tnaseem

As mentioned in the 2nd post, I did the whole deleting licence files, creating new accounts thing already, which is how I managed to get a bit further.

Still no joy.

Permissions repaired, and Disk check (booting into Recovery mode). All come up fine.

Funny thing is, Unity 4.x will then contact the license server fine and re-licence. Unity 5, however, still doesn't work. There's something else I'm missing. Just not sure what...

The only other thing I can try is to remove Unity 4.x altogether and wipe everything I can find related to that. Only issue is that I'm in the middle of a client project! But then it's coming to the weekend, and I like to live dangerously....

6. tnaseem

tnaseem

Well well well... I think I've just found the culprit... And it's an unusual one, can't fathom why it affects Unity 5, and causes it to hang, but works with Unity 4 and everything else!

I have an app called PopClip running (which also decided to run in the background when I created a new admin user account to try). It seems to interfere with *something* causing Unity 5 to hang on start. If I remove the app, Unity 5 runs up fine, contacts the license server fine, and all is well. As a test, I ran PopClip again, and Unity 5 starts hanging again. Did this several times just to make sure. So, definitely a peculiar thing between the two apps.

Worth noting that adding the Unity.app file to the PopClip 'Exclude Apps' list works too, so at least I can carry on using it, rather than uninstalling completely.

I'm just adding this here in case someone else comes across this, rather obscure, issue. I doubt it, but you never know!

Hope it helps someone...

7. thylaxene

thylaxene

OMG! You're a bloody hero! How in the name of almighty did you work that one out? I've been running PopClip for at least a year and never had it cause issues. So something has changed with Unity since the 4.6 public beta cycle as that is when I first noticed this start-up bug.

Again thank you!

tnaseem likes this.
  8. tnaseem

tnaseem

Hey, no worries. It was one of those last resort things. I just stopped all processes I could to see if it was something that was running causing the hang. I then re-started each process (app) one by one until Unity 5 hung again. I must admit, it didn't happen on 4.6 with me though (But then I was still on Mavericks then). Might try it again to see.

Anyway, I've been onto the PopClip developer who's now on the case.

As an aside, (and this is not Unity related, so apologies) can I ask you if you're having any issues with dragging and dropping files in Finder? I quit PopClip when this happened, and it corrected itself. (only did it because I noticed issues with U5, and thought 'what the hell, give it a shot'...)

9. orb

orb

That was a mighty obscure issue! Glad the dev is responsive :)

10. rich5813

rich5813

Holy crap... It works! Thank you so much for spotting this bug

tnaseem likes this.
  11. rich5813

rich5813

Also crashes if you try to paste the License code, so I think the fault also rests with Unity

12. orb

orb

Yes, that bug has been listed on the download page since they unleashed the beta to pre-orders.